Why is science, space, and history so inportent?

Old June 21st 05, 09:43 PM
Christopher P. Winter

On 7 Jun 2005 10:53:05 -0700, wrote:

I have trouble with these subjects in school, and I am not the only
one. But why do we need to know about how to find orgens in a frog or
why did america become a free countrey? Can you help me with this
question?
Your friend
K-girl15

Coming in late, and after reading this whole thread, I think you are
legit (that is, not a troll.)

So, to answer your question:

First, knowing these things is a practical necessity. If you fail to
learn too many of them, you won't graduate from high school. If you don't
graduate from high school, you'll have a hard time getting a decent job.

I'm sure you know this already, and are really asking what use such
knowledge has in and of itself. Now, I'm of the opinion that knowing things
is fun. I like to learn stuff. So one answer is that knowing what a frog
looks like inside, or how the Revolutionary War was won, in intrinsically
valuable. But it doesn't sound like that works for you -- which is nothing
shameful.

Consider this, then:

* Dissecting a frog helps cure squeamishness. I'm not saying /you/ are
squeamish; I have no way to know. But if you later bear children, you may
have to give them first aid for injuries such as a compound fracture. You'll
certainly have to deal with scrapes and cuts. Blood. Being squeamish (if you
are) would be a handicap in such cases.

* Learn about the Revolutionary War, in which America became a free
country, and you'll also learn about taxation, its use and misuse. This will
give you perspective on the taxes you'll pay in your own life. And it's
useful to know how our government works in general, because that helps you
make the changes you want to make.

There are many more examples. But as you say, we here in
sci.space.history do go on. So I'll stop here and let you respond. If you are
still around.

Best wishes,

Chris
--
Just don't ask us to do your homework for you.