Whats the best way to display a shuttle at KSC?

Old May 24th 04, 05:19 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-05-24, MasterShrink wrote:
Assuming all three orbiters survive until 2010 one will certainly be
bound for the Smithsonian, and probably be displayed at the exhibit at
Dulles.

Dulles already has Enterprise.

Enterprise ain't an orbiter that's been in space.

Freedom 7 was also first delivered the the Smithsonian after its flight, but
now the primary Mercury display is Friendship 7.

The institution also has two flwon Gemini spacecraft (Gemini 4 and 7) and two
flown Apollo CSM's (Apollo 11 and Skylab 4) and an unflown CSM boilerplate for
the ASTP display.

They could well end up with two orbiters I guess, one a test article and the
other a space-worthy one.

It'd seem more likely that they get one of the flown orbiters to replace
Enterprise, and then they get shared out - one for each site.

(That's assuming they don't just keep Enterprise, but it'd seem vaguely
Right to have one of the flown articles in the Smithsonian, no?)

--
-Andrew Gray

Old May 24th 04, 11:32 PM
dave schneider

On 2004-05-22, bob haller wrote:

I was thinking upright on one of the pads, with the entire pad enclosed in
glass somehow. For the pad rats how practical would that be? Having elevators
shuttle visitors upstairs to take a look inside.

IANA padrat. OTOH, I've heard of hurricanes.

Me, neither, but I'd play one on TV if asked...

Spot the potential, um, interesting problem for a third-year civil
engineering class, if nothing else...

Aren't we also approaching the point where keeping the VAB from
crumbling in normal weather is going to cost as much as building a new
building? *It* is hurricane-resistant now, but don't take your hard
hats off....

/dps
Old May 27th 04, 05:39 AM
LooseChanj

On or about Wed, 26 May 2004 22:21:29 GMT, Eric Pederson made the sensational claim that:
DFRC could still get one since MSFC/US_Space_Center already has Pathfinder.

Oh puh-leeze. Seriously, what is clearly needed is a second production run!
:-)
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't