Mercury Transit?

Old October 25th 06, 07:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Mercury Transit?

Hi saa,

I could be wrong, but I believe that Mercury will transit the Sun on
Nov. 8, correct? I live in southern California, and wonder if it will
be visible, with the proper protection, and if the transit will begin
at approximately 11am Pacific time? Any help will be appreciated!

Rick

Old October 25th 06, 07:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Michael Murphy

Hi Rick,

Try http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/OH/transit06.html

Click on figure 1 to get a map with locations where the eclipse will be
visible.
The west coast of the US is in the visible area.

Michael.

ups.com...

Old October 25th 06, 08:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Joe S.[_3_]

"Michael Murphy" wrote in message
Hi Rick,

Try http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/OH/transit06.html

Click on figure 1 to get a map with locations where the eclipse will be
visible.
The west coast of the US is in the visible area.

Michael.

Thanks for the link.

As I read this map
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...Nov08-Fig2.GIF the
Mercury transit will be visible from the US in the afternoon and the sun
will set on us before the transit ends -- right??

Old October 25th 06, 09:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
laura halliday

Joe S. wrote:

Thanks for the link.

As I read this map
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...Nov08-Fig2.GIF the
Mercury transit will be visible from the US in the afternoon and the sun
will set on us before the transit ends -- right??

Geocentric first contact is at 1912 UTC, maximum
transit is at 2141 UTC, and fourth contact is at 0010
UTC. That's 1112, 1341 and 1610 PST. Us west
coast folks will see the whole show.

Sunset here that day is at 1641 PST. The sun will be
pretty low in the sky by 4th contact, but not disasterously so.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Old October 25th 06, 09:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Michael Murphy

If I read the map correctly, the US to the right of the line marked 3,4
(III, IV) will not see the entire transit with the sun setting before the
end.

Michael.

Old October 26th 06, 07:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36

laura halliday wrote:
Joe S. wrote:

Thanks for the link.

As I read this map
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...Nov08-Fig2.GIF the
Mercury transit will be visible from the US in the afternoon and the sun
will set on us before the transit ends -- right??

Geocentric first contact is at 1912 UTC, maximum
transit is at 2141 UTC, and fourth contact is at 0010
UTC. That's 1112, 1341 and 1610 PST. Us west
coast folks will see the whole show.

There will be nothing geocentric about the event on Nov 8th,from an
orbitally moving Earth we see the faster Mercury overtake our slower
moving planet with the stationary Sun as a backdrop -

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...rctrans500.gif

Talking of sunrise and sunset is such a poor way to treat this
spectacular affirmation of heliocentricity and unfortunately I now
remain the only person anticipating the event as a heliocentric
astronomer.No doubt the celestial sphere peep show will record that
Mercury crossed the face of the Sun and go no further but as the
dominant Newtonian mutations to Copernican heliocentricity which does
not acknowledge that planetary heliocentric motions are seen directly
from an orbitally moving Earth.

The option is always there to explain to the world what the motion of
Mercury means in terms of a faster Mercury overtaking a slower
orbitally moving Earth just as the faster Earth overtakes the slower
moving Jupiter and the even slower Saturn -

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...2000_tezel.gif

There were only 16 of these events over the last century,this one can
be special as it gives humanity a rare chance to see the orbital motion
of two planets of the solar system ,ours and Mercury, in motion before
our parent stationary star.

Don't not waste this chance