ASTRO: NGC 3310

Old March 28th 07, 09:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 3310

I imaged NGC 3310 on January 25 but didn't get enough frames because of
clouds, so I added some more exposures on March 11. NGC 3310 is one of those
objects that are hard to display because the core is so much brighter than
the halo.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/7, G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 42x5 minutes.

The picture can also be found at www.slilge.de/temp/3310-42x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3310-42x5gut.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	569
Old March 28th 07, 10:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:
I imaged NGC 3310 on January 25 but didn't get enough frames because of
clouds, so I added some more exposures on March 11. NGC 3310 is one of
those objects that are hard to display because the core is so much
brighter than the halo.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/7, G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 42x5 minutes.

The picture can also be found at www.slilge.de/temp/3310-42x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Looks a lot sharper than the previous version. Seeing was better too it
appears. Now that I have the problem with my frost gradients cured
(heaters installed anyway), I should retake it but there are so many
other things I've not taken and so few nights (raining for the next
week) this time of year I'll have to move on for now.

Rick

Old March 28th 07, 10:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

actually the reason why the new version looks sharper is simply that I did
some sharpening in software while the old version was essentially a raw
picture.
I just re-viewed your image of this galaxy and it shows a lot more detail.

Stefan

Old March 29th 07, 08:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Not being in the middle of Berlin has some advantages in astro
photography! I can't even fathom how you do so well from there. What
is your limiting magnitude at the zenith?

Rick

Old March 30th 07, 03:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick, I don't really believe in limiting magnitudes as they are as much
dependend on one's eyesight as on the quality of the sky. That said I can
see mag 4.2-4.3 stars with averted vision in good nights and with direkt
vision in very good nights. I never can see even the slightest hint of the
milky way though, not even in the best nights.

Old March 30th 07, 05:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

My eye's don't see as faint as they used to. One club member, now a
planetary geologist at Brown University, Pete Schultz, could see 13
Pleiades stars (I struggle to see 6) when we were both in high school.
I'd kill for such vision!

Still that's about what I expected. I can't begin to process a good
image with a moon in the sky yet can still easily see the milky way here
well past half moon. But try to process an image taken on the other
side of the sky from the moon and I'm lost fighting the fog. Obviously
I need lots more frames but still it boggles my mind you do so well from
that location.

Rick

Old March 31st 07, 04:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote
Rick, I don't really believe in limiting magnitudes as they are as much
dependend on one's eyesight as on the quality of the sky. That said I can
see mag 4.2-4.3 stars with averted vision in good nights and with direkt
vision in very good nights. I never can see even the slightest hint of the
milky way though, not even in the best nights.

Two weeks ago in Orlando Florida (just west of the airport) on several clear
nights I could see Venus....... that's it!!

From my camp on Indian Lake NY I can make out the Milky Way under full moon
and M-33 is a naked-eye object on a good dark night. Even the reflection of
the Milky Way on the lake is bright! Unfortunately, for the first time in 25
years, there is a slight light dome in the southwest!! One unusual
'observing aid' needed is a firearm since the local wildlife (bears, lynx,
coyotes) might consider astronomers a good midnight snack.

George N

Old March 29th 07, 01:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote

I imaged NGC 3310......

Lots of fine detail in that image Stefan!

I'll have to add this one to my 'target list' for both CCD and visual.

George N