NASA to ax Voyager support

Old March 13th 05, 03:55 AM
Michael Kent

Default NASA to ax Voyager support

uray wrote:

Axing Voyager right now would be stupid. As the most distant active
spacecraft Voyager is defiantly at the edge of our exploration. Considering
Bush's space vision is inner system directed, we may not see another such
craft for a lllonggg time.

Probably not until next January.

Mike

-----
Michael Kent Apple II Forever!!
St. Peters, MO

Old March 13th 05, 06:23 AM
uray

"Michael Kent" wrote in message
uray wrote:

Axing Voyager right now would be stupid. As the most distant active
spacecraft Voyager is defiantly at the edge of our exploration.
Considering
Bush's space vision is inner system directed, we may not see another such
craft for a lllonggg time.

Probably not until next January.

Mike

That's assuming New Horizons actually launches. With the bumpy road it has
had so far I still not sure it's going. Even if it does survive Bush's
knife, it's still going to take a long time to get there. If the Voyagers
are cancelled NH will be providing first data points, not second.

Old March 14th 05, 06:55 AM
Michael Kent

uray wrote:

Axing Voyager right now would be stupid. As the most distant active
spacecraft Voyager is defiantly at the edge of our exploration.
Considering
Bush's space vision is inner system directed, we may not see another such
craft for a lllonggg time.

Probably not until next January.

That's assuming New Horizons actually launches. With the bumpy road it has
had so far I still not sure it's going. Even if it does survive Bush's
knife, it's still going to take a long time to get there. If the Voyagers
are cancelled NH will be providing first data points, not second.

I know New Horizons has had some problems, but I thought they were in the
past now. Is that not the case?

At any rate, it's looking increasingly likely that neither the Voyagers
nor New Horizons will be the first to detect the heliopause. The Inter-
stellar Boundary Explorer (IBEX) just got go-ahead for development.

Mike

-----