TRAIN WRECK!!!

Old March 3rd 05, 07:25 PM
Martin R. Howell

Default TRAIN WRECK!!!

Below is a post which Bill Meyers submitted to Astromart's "Equipment Talk"
forum on 3/2/05. The subject of the post is "How about informative titles
for posts?" I hope that the referenced calamity produced no serious
injuries. My eyes do appear to be somewhat bruised but I don't seem to
suffer any gashes and have no broken bones.

snip
Come on, guys, shape up! This is a great forum. Let's keep it that way.
Look at what happened to sci.astro.amateur, which used to be the premium
forum and now is, in the words of one poster, a train wreck. (end of rant).
unsnip

--
Martin R. Howell
"Photographs From the Universe of Amateur Astronomy"
Old March 3rd 05, 08:26 PM
RichA

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:25:49 -0800, "Martin R. Howell"
wrote:

Below is a post which Bill Meyers submitted to Astromart's "Equipment Talk"
forum on 3/2/05. The subject of the post is "How about informative titles
for posts?" I hope that the referenced calamity produced no serious
injuries. My eyes do appear to be somewhat bruised but I don't seem to
suffer any gashes and have no broken bones.

snip
Come on, guys, shape up! This is a great forum. Let's keep it that way.
Look at what happened to sci.astro.amateur, which used to be the premium
forum and now is, in the words of one poster, a train wreck. (end of rant).
unsnip

He's obviously an idiot who is too lazy or dull to avoid the bad
posts.
-Rich
Old March 3rd 05, 09:33 PM
Davoud

Martin R. Howell:

Below is a post which Bill Meyers submitted to Astromart's "Equipment Talk"
forum on 3/2/05. The subject of the post is "How about informative titles
for posts?" I hope that the referenced calamity produced no serious
injuries. My eyes do appear to be somewhat bruised but I don't seem to
suffer any gashes and have no broken bones.

snip
Come on, guys, shape up! This is a great forum. Let's keep it that way.
Look at what happened to sci.astro.amateur, which used to be the premium
forum and now is, in the words of one poster, a train wreck. (end of rant).
unsnip

I think that rumors of SAA's death are somewhat exaggerated. Looking at
the latest posts, I see Trapezium, Sidereal Time, Microfiche Lenses for
use in positive astroprojection, Observing Projects, "A weight matter"
(telescope balance), Advanced Astromaster problem, Antares Occultation
Report, Konus 150 refractor, and other stuff that interests me to
varying degrees.

I won't read "CNN tanking as Fox News surges" from "Anonymous" because
it has Min the Psychopath written all over it. Not only will I not read
it, but I won't worry about its presence.

What I don't see are any broken locomotives or wrecked tank cars
spilling noxious chemicals around my computer :-

Davoud
Old March 3rd 05, 10:05 PM
Skylook123

For a year or so there, SAA was going toward the silly and inane, but it
seems to have improved significantly lately.

Martin R. Howell:

Old March 3rd 05, 10:11 PM
Chris L Peterson

wrote:

Come on, guys, shape up! This is a great forum. Let's keep it that way.
Look at what happened to sci.astro.amateur, which used to be the premium
forum and now is, in the words of one poster, a train wreck. (end of rant).

This from somebody who I guess has never seen a train wreck!

Looking over the last week of postings (all of which I have retained), I
see that there are 107 threads, of which 88 are absolutely topical and
appropriate to s.a.a. Of the remaining 19 threads, 4 are the same but
didn't get threaded properly, 3 are rants like this, and a handful are
semi-topical humor. Another handful are marginally topical. Only a few
of the topical threads appear to have been hijacked or otherwise
deviated from topicality in a major way. And IMO, the vast majority of
the topic titles do a fine job of defining the thread.

So that means at least 82% of the threads are topical, and higher if we
give a little latitude. Seems pretty darn good to me.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old March 3rd 05, 11:03 PM
Howard Lester

So that means at least 82% of the threads are topical, and higher if we
give a little latitude. Seems pretty darn good to me.

I look at quality, not quantity. Based on what I've seen/not seen in the
past bunch of years, some really "good" contributors left s.a.a due to its
increasing inanity. To me, then, what is significant is who we've lost.

Howard Lester

Old March 4th 05, 12:07 AM
Mark

Yeah, once we squelched the "Dubya" and "Shrub" threads with a bit of
common sense things improved significantly. It's good to see **Most**
everyone shaping up a bit.

Mark

Old March 4th 05, 12:52 AM
Davoud

Mark:
Yeah, once we squelched the "Dubya" and "Shrub" threads with a bit of
common sense things improved significantly. It's good to see **Most**
everyone shaping up a bit.

Nobody squelches a thread here, and nobody shapes anyone up. On-topic
threads die after the question has been answered to everyone's
satisfaction and/or the dissenters, if any, agree to disagree; OT
threads die of old age, or because no one replies (Not!)

I would just as soon read Min the Psycopath as read posts from
self-appointed, smug, self-righteous Usenet cops.

Davoud
Old March 4th 05, 11:37 AM
RichA

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:52:38 -0500, Davoud wrote:

Mark:
Yeah, once we squelched the "Dubya" and "Shrub" threads with a bit of
common sense things improved significantly. It's good to see **Most**
everyone shaping up a bit.

Nobody squelches a thread here, and nobody shapes anyone up. On-topic
threads die after the question has been answered to everyone's
satisfaction and/or the dissenters, if any, agree to disagree; OT
threads die of old age, or because no one replies (Not!)

I would just as soon read Min the Psycopath as read posts from
self-appointed, smug, self-righteous Usenet cops.

Davoud

You weren't around for the endless astrology posts, or
the endless Zeta posts? But I agree about the usenet cops
thing.
-Rich
Old March 4th 05, 12:03 PM
Mark

I maintain that the return to on-topic posts was highly apparent (and
refreshing) once the tiny but shrill minority was reminded that the
majority of us are fair, balanced, open-minded and in some cases not
hesitant to highlight absurdity.

Mark

Train Crash Double-A Misc 14 January 27th 05 09:34 AM
Sky & Tel; To Canada by mule train??? Richard Amateur Astronomy 18 July 10th 04 01:15 PM
FWD: 'Little Prince' author's plane wreck found after 6 decades OM History 1 April 13th 04 05:21 AM
Has the clue train broken down? Christopher M. Jones Policy 18 March 16th 04 05:33 AM
Cosmic Train Schedule Hop David Science 0 October 16th 03 11:44 PM