Starfest, pretty much a wash-out

Old July 26th 17, 07:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default Starfest, pretty much a wash-out

They hold it in Mt. Forest, Ontario.
It's been a wet, cloudy summer so I'd have guessed this might happen. One time this did, we spend time until 2:00am testing scopes using a 17" optical flat, courtesy of Peter Ceravolo. I also almost saw the demise of a $25,000 scope system when one axis of an AP1200 mount decided to "let go." Luckily, it didn't end up with any major damage! Anyone who has handled large instruments a lot can probably recount something like it happening to them.
Here's hoping the solar eclipse is on a clear day.
Old July 27th 17, 08:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Wednesday, 26 July 2017 08:30:44 UTC+2, RichA wrote:
They hold it in Mt. Forest, Ontario.
It's been a wet, cloudy summer so I'd have guessed this might happen. One time this did, we spend time until 2:00am testing scopes using a 17" optical flat, courtesy of Peter Ceravolo. I also almost saw the demise of a $25,000 scope system when one axis of an AP1200 mount decided to "let go." Luckily, it didn't end up with any major damage! Anyone who has handled large instruments a lot can probably recount something like it happening to them.
Here's hoping the solar eclipse is on a clear day.

Thank you for the dire warnings.
I'm a martyr to hoists and winches myself these days.
Can't live with them. Can't live without them.
Old age offers no new insights nor special wisdom.
Just the funds and time to build larger white elephants.
Well, they're mostly white these days.
Like yachts in a marina, but surrounded in grass.
Rather than dirty seawater and floating plastic.
Caravans [mobile homes] are usually white too.
While hifi always has to be black. Odd, isn't it?
Hope this helps?