ASTRO: IC 1613 another dwarf galaxy

Old December 29th 07, 07:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: IC 1613 another dwarf galaxy

As should be obvious by now I like these guys. Though I'm running out
of big and bright ones visible from 47N. This one is in the local
group. I could find no consensus on its distance. This is odd since
most references indicate it was used to help calibrate the cephied
variable standard candle. The only one I found with an error bar put it
at 2.38 +/- 0.07 million light years. So I'll go with that one. That
puts it a bit closer than M31. While it is sort of in the general
direction of Andromeda (south nearly 40 degrees in Cetus) it isn't
associated with it that I have found.

This was again taken with my severe ice problem and seeing this low (if
the celestial equator region is low) over the lake put it right into my
area of bad seeing and heavy fogging from ice in the air over the lake.
You could see it rising up off the lake. I binned 3x3 rather than my
usual 2x2 in an effort to get enough signal to work with compared to the
ice. Oddly, while the fogging was severe it was pretty even with not as
much of a gradient problem as I have higher in the sky with less ice to
look through. I don't understand it but sure do appreciate it!
References I saw say there are HII bubbles all over this guy. But I
wasn't able to image but a few in the area to the upper left. Though
there are a lot of hints of pink throughout the horizontal arm. This
may be noise rather than true signal, I just don't know. I was only
able to get 1 frame of color for each color before the fogging go so
severe I had to quit (was hitting 40,000 ADU in 10 minutes which puts
the fog into my non linear range as well as all the details in the
galaxy. That meant my standard galaxy curves wouldn't work and I had to
figure out new ones. One color frame isn't enough for something this
faint. It took 5 nights to get the data I did then the clouds moved in
and have not left since.

Due to the intense fogging this is a rather noisy shot. I was going to
get more data on it this month but the clouds had other ideas It is now
on the way down and will not again be this high in my dark sky until
next fall so this will have to do for this year.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=7x10' RGB=1x10' all binned 3x3, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC1613LUM7X10RGB1X10.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	1562
Old December 29th 07, 04:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
[email protected]

Bright image even with the ice/fog problems.

I did a quicky image of this galaxy in 2006 and found a distance of 24
mly. On checking the source, I found that I had mis-interpreted the
data which listed a adjusted cephied magnitude distance as 24 (m-M).

Battinelli et.al. (2007) suggest it is indeed a satelite of M 31.
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2007A%26A...466..875B

Old December 30th 07, 12:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Great image Rick! It's sort of reminiscent of the LMC.

I hope that you do get a shot at some more data on this galaxy this year.
However, at least you are getting in a little imaging. Over here in NY we've
only had a few hours of clear sky for the last 6 weeks or more, and that has
all been after midnight under bright moon. It's been the worst December for
astronomy in years.

George N

Old December 30th 07, 01:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:
"Rick Johnson" wrote

Great image Rick! It's sort of reminiscent of the LMC.

I hope that you do get a shot at some more data on this galaxy this year.
However, at least you are getting in a little imaging. Over here in NY we've
only had a few hours of clear sky for the last 6 weeks or more, and that has
all been after midnight under bright moon. It's been the worst December for
astronomy in years.

George N

Same here. I took this earlier in the evening of the 9th (UT) same
night as LBN826-7. Down low ice got too thick, the second color frames
were unusable. I'll have the ice through February and likely into March
so no chance for more data on this guy. He's now too low in the SW even
without the ice.

A big hunk of my to-do list went untouched this fall. Been a horrid
fall for imaging. No end in sight either

Rick

Old December 30th 07, 01:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
john

Nice work Rick! Lots of interesting detail. I had a good day working on
the observatory, it will be dried in tomorrow. I also bought a
ST-2000XCM. With my 8" Schmidt-Newtonian it will have a 38.1 X 50.8
arcmin fov with 1.91 arcsec/pix.

John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old December 30th 07, 07:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

john wrote:
Nice work Rick! Lots of interesting detail. I had a good day working on
the observatory, it will be dried in tomorrow. I also bought a
ST-2000XCM. With my 8" Schmidt-Newtonian it will have a 38.1 X 50.8
arcmin fov with 1.91 arcsec/pix.

John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3

They do offer it rather cheap. Pixel size is a good match for your
short focal length scope. Thought you might stick with a Starlight
camera. Their newer chips seem to be turning out some good work and the
one shot is much improved. I've not used the 2000XCM. I'd think it
noisier and more in need of a good dark library than the Sony chip you
used to use. My set-up will give 0.5" pixels but seeing rarely supports
that. I've tried only one full shot at that resolution.
http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/...0RGB2X10C3.jpg
At 4008x2672 it is rather large in size and download time.
Mostly I work at 1" binned 2x2 though when seeing is lousy or I want
more signal I go to 1.5" as in the IC 1613 shot. Those are usually
about 1336 pixels wide, the 1" per pixel ones are about 2000 wide.
Actually, per my astrometry program, it is 1.003" per pixel but I'm not
going to worry about that accuracy! The nice thing about lots of pixels
is you can bin and still have a decent size image. Since the chip uses
the fully illuminated fov of the scope there's no gain using a compressor.

When I was in New Zealand last year there was a old 2001 chip mono
version available to me but I spent what little clear time I had viewing
all the stuff they have that was new to me. Didn't begin to cover what
I'd wanted due to clouds. Seems to be a problem of mine. Sometimes
this fall has made me feel like Joe Btfsplk or how ever that vowel free
name is spelled. A Al Capp character with a cloud over his head all the
time.

Rick

Old December 31st 07, 03:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
john

Awesome image Rick! This one will have the new chip... will post
finished observatory pics later today

--
John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
Old January 5th 08, 06:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great image Rick. I also got some frames of IC 1613 last fall, but I think I
didn't get enough data to be worth processing.

Stefan

m...