Summer in Gresham

Old August 17th 17, 09:37 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Default Summer in Gresham

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 2:10:29 PM UTC-7, Herbert Glazier wrote:

Cooler here as well.Still no rain,but some early clouds at 7 am.I read July was the hottest ever recorded.Al Gore seems was on the money. Trebert

An ideal 72F as of 1:30 PM here in Gresham. Wind westerly at 5 mph. Now sunny, but was overcast most of the morning. Humidity 47%.

Seems that tearing down statues is the order of the day. Oregon never was an enclave of the Confederacy, so no statues of Confederate generals around here. I know of one statue of Teddy Roosevelt, and one of Joan of Arc, but nobody has made a move on those as of yet. Lots of statues of wildlife in downtown Portland. I don't see how anyone could be offended by the big bronze elk statue on Main Street.

Double-A

Old August 18th 17, 04:12 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Thomas[_7_]

On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 4:37:42 PM UTC-4, Double-A wrote:
I don't see how anyone could be offended by the big bronze elk statue on Main Street.

Double-A

Here's how: (Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks)

The BPOE was originally an all-white organization. In the early 1970s this policy led the Order into conflict with the courts over its refusal to allow African Americans the use of its club and leisure activities. In nearly all instances, the all-whites clause was made public after someone was denied the use of the Elks' dining or leisure facilities. The clause was revoked at the Grand Lodge of 1976, with the proviso that it could be reinstated if the law allowed. No interest in reinstating the rule exists in the Elks Organization.

Old August 18th 17, 10:19 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 8:12:16 AM UTC-7, Thomas wrote:
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 4:37:42 PM UTC-4, Double-A wrote:
I don't see how anyone could be offended by the big bronze elk statue on Main Street.

Double-A

Here's how: (Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks)

The BPOE was originally an all-white organization. In the early 1970s this policy led the Order into conflict with the courts over its refusal to allow African Americans the use of its club and leisure activities. In nearly all instances, the all-whites clause was made public after someone was denied the use of the Elks' dining or leisure facilities. The clause was revoked at the Grand Lodge of 1976, with the proviso that it could be reinstated if the law allowed. No interest in reinstating the rule exists in the Elks Organization.

Being a private club, I would guess the only leverage the Feds would have over them was the loss of tax exempt status. The Portland Golf Club is a private club here that to my knowledge has never integrated. Of course the membership is mostly rich, and probably willing and able to pay any taxes that might be punitively imposed.

76F here as of 2:15 PM. Wind northwest at 6 mph.

Tomorrow is our 50 year high school class reunion. I am looking forward to whatever stories the old classmates have to tell. I know of one classmate, who used to be my best friend, who I think is not coming because of embarrassment over his current financial situation. But heck, if I, who was voted most likely to succeed, can show up in my rags, why can't he?

Being a small class in a small country school, there never were any African Americans in our class, so that is not a problem.

Double-A

Old August 20th 17, 10:58 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Currently sunny and 76F as of 2:30 PM here in Gresham. Wind NW at 5 mph.

Yesterday was our big 50 year class reunion! Janet picked me up and took me to the restaurant which is by the side of the Sandy River. A great location! I was however disappointed that out of 70 former classmates I identified, only 29 people showed up, and not all of them classmates. I was praised for all the work I had put in for the committee, and given a 1.5 liter bottle of cabernet souvignon wind! We had hors d'oeuvres and drinks, and then went outside for the class pictures. Back inside for dinner. My classmate, Debbie, who always had a crush on me in grade school, latched onto me and got me to sit beside her for the rest of the night. I had miso glazed salmon over rice and with asparagus spears. I was recognized for having been the class salutatorian. Got back in touch with an old friend Jim, who once was won of my best friends. The evening went well and everyone had a good time. Old Mrs. Clemons, who had been the high school home economics teacher, attended at 95 in her wheelchair. When given the floor, she made a long speech, her mind still clear as a bell! One classmate was attending his first reunion ever!

In about three weeks there will be another reunion for all students within a 10 year span. I hope I can make it to that as well.

Double-A

Old August 21st 17, 10:16 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Sunny and 79F as of 1:45 PM here in Gresham. Wind NW at 5 mph.

Weather was perfect this morning for observing the solar eclipse. My backyard has tall fir trees, but I was able to find a spot where I had a clear view of the Sun. I have a letter holder made of dark plastic with six dividers. Looking through all the dividers I can see the Sun, but cannot see other lights, and that makes it safe. My first observation was at 9:45 AM. By then about a third of the Sun was being blocked by the Moon. The closest phase to totality began at 10:18 AM. It grew dimmer and dimmer until it was almost dark. The parking lot street lights came on. We did not have totality here in Gresham, but about 99% of it. Down past Salem, Oregon they had totality. The Sun looked like a thin crescent on the left side with most of the right side totally blocked by the Moon. Then the crescent Sun shifted to being an upper side crescent as the Moon passed slightly below the Sun. Later the crescent moved more to the right side. There was a flickering effect that nobody talks about. I thought at first it might be from some thin upper clouds, which I could see, moving past the more point-like bright source of light. But then I thought it might be the movements of the tree limbs and needles casting a more distinct shadows as the Sun became more point-like. By 10:45 AM things had brightened up again and I observed only a small part of the Sun was now being blocked. The temperature, in the mid 60's, dropped by a couple degrees. Soon after, the expected traffic jams were being reported on the freeways! But the gas shortages, food shortages, and other hazards our local politicians had trying to scare people with never happened.

I never got my pendulum set up to test for the Allais Effect.

Double-A

Old August 24th 17, 11:19 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

A lovely 73F as of 3:15 PM today here in Gresham. Wind NW at 8 mph. Humidity 33%.

Had a good lunch with Kim yesterday. Talked about the eclipse, my class reunion, et al. Kim was a couple hours late because she was riding buses all around town all morning, would fall asleep, and would wake up in Timbuktu!

Double-A

Old August 25th 17, 10:03 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Another nice day here in Gresham. Currently a pleasant 74F as on 2 PM PDT. Wind NW at 7 mph.

Double-A

Old August 25th 17, 11:30 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier

On Saturday, June 17, 2017 at 1:32:21 PM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
Summer is just a few days away. Currently a Freudian 69F here as of 1:30 PM PDT. A warm and gentle westerly wind at 6 mph. The rain has stopped, but still cloudy. Typical June weather in Oregon.

I see they have finally removed the library pay phone. I assure you, this is one pay phone I did not abuse. The sign said "No Incoming Calls", so I took no incoming calls.

Farmer's market today outside.

Double-A

Old August 25th 17, 11:43 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 3:30:43 PM UTC-7, Herbert Glazier wrote:
On Saturday, June 17, 2017 at 1:32:21 PM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
Summer is just a few days away. Currently a Freudian 69F here as of 1:30 PM PDT. A warm and gentle westerly wind at 6 mph. The rain has stopped, but still cloudy. Typical June weather in Oregon.

I see they have finally removed the library pay phone. I assure you, this is one pay phone I did not abuse. The sign said "No Incoming Calls", so I took no incoming calls.

Farmer's market today outside.

Double-A

Thanks for dropping by my thread, Bert.

Double-A

Old August 26th 17, 07:26 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

A pleasant 71F here in Gresham as of 11:15 AM. Wind NW at 6 mph.

Farmers' Market day. Bought some lettuce and zucchinis. An Indian is there too selling wild salmon. Not having been watching the price of salmon for a long time, just assuming I couldn't afford it, I am surprised what a bargain price the 6 or 7 dollars a pound the Indian is charging is!

Beaver Football starts today around noon against Colorado State! It indicates a changing of the seasons. I hope to make it home in time to catch at least some of that game, at least on the radio.

Double-A