A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Others » Astro Pictures
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Berkeley 83

Old August 18th 17, 03:54 PM

First recorded activity by SpaceBanter: Feb 2008
Default Berkeley 83

BERKELEY 83 is a small but rather well-defined cluster in northern Vulpecula on the edge of the dark rift that runs through the Milky Way in this part of the sky. It appears rather reddened by the dust of the rift though it could be due to its stars being quite old. I can't find much on it at all. While my The Sky's basic database has it they have the position rather wrong. They point about 10 minutes west of its real position. That would have been a problem if I'd been doing this one automatically as it would have been near the right edge of the frame. Fortunately, my framing shot showed it faintly on the edge and I was able to center it for my image. Since it is in an area filled with stars I did break my rule and enhanced it a bit more than the rest of the starfield. Also, since the resolution wasn't needed I'm displaying the full image at 1.5" per pixel rather than my usual 1" per pixel.

While WEBDA did list it they too had a slightly wrong position for it. In fact, many of the Berkeley clusters have positional errors at least in their images which usually put the cluster well off center. They have a different error than The Sky did. Oddly their position data doesn't match their image. Neither are right but both are a lot closer than The Sky 6 was. I measure it at 20h 1m 25s +29d 38m 33s for those looking for it.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10' STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BERK83_L4X10RGB2X10-67.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	6661  
Old August 31st 17, 10:41 PM

First recorded activity by SpaceBanter: Aug 2008

Rick,

for "just" a Berkeley cluster this is a nice one.
"Berkeley" always reminds me of irish set dancing as we had two Berkeley students in our dancing group here in Berlin some month ago. One of them stayed longer and will have her last dance in Berlin next Wednesday...

Stefan