Manned COMSAT in GEO

Old January 24th 09, 03:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Manned COMSAT in GEO

It would have been a real bitch to get crew and supplies to this thing:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2009/01/22/its-new-4/
Thank God for miniaturized electronics.
Notice anything missing?
The station has no obvious means of generating electrical power (I
assume the dishes are uplink-downlink communication arrays, not solar
collectors, although they do seem to be pointing toward the Sun).

Pat
Old January 24th 09, 03:22 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 20:12:35 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

It would have been a real bitch to get crew and supplies to this thing:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2009/01/22/its-new-4/
Thank God for miniaturized electronics.
Notice anything missing?
The station has no obvious means of generating electrical power (I
assume the dishes are uplink-downlink communication arrays, not solar
collectors, although they do seem to be pointing toward the Sun).

You could do it with a nuke, but there's no obvious way of rejecting
the heat...
Old January 24th 09, 05:39 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Jan 23, 6:12*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
It would have been a real bitch to get crew and supplies to this thing:http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2009/01/22/its-new-4/
Thank God for miniaturized electronics.
Notice anything missing?
The station has no obvious means of generating electrical power (I
assume the dishes are uplink-downlink communication arrays, not solar
collectors, although they do seem to be pointing toward the Sun).

Pat

2e3 Sv/year while shielded by 5/16" aluminum isn't all that DNA
friendly either.

~ BG
Old January 24th 09, 05:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Jan 23, 6:22*pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 20:12:35 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

It would have been a real bitch to get crew and supplies to this thing:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2009/01/22/its-new-4/
Thank God for miniaturized electronics.
Notice anything missing?
The station has no obvious means of generating electrical power (I
assume the dishes are uplink-downlink communication arrays, not solar
collectors, although they do seem to be pointing toward the Sun).

You could do it with a nuke, but there's no obvious way of rejecting
the heat...

The nuke or solar PV array could be safely tethered km further in or
out.

~ BG
Old January 24th 09, 08:16 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Pat Flannery wrote:

:It would have been a real bitch to get crew and supplies to this thing:
:http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2009/01/22/its-new-4/
:Thank God for miniaturized electronics.
:Notice anything missing?
:The station has no obvious means of generating electrical power (I
:assume the dishes are uplink-downlink communication arrays, not solar
:collectors, although they do seem to be pointing toward the Sun).
:

Given the date, I would assume they figured it would be powered by a
nuclear reactor.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old January 24th 09, 08:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

h (Rand Simberg) wrote:

:On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 20:12:35 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat
:Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
:such a way as to indicate that:
:
:It would have been a real bitch to get crew and supplies to this thing:
:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2009/01/22/its-new-4/
:Thank God for miniaturized electronics.
:Notice anything missing?
:The station has no obvious means of generating electrical power (I
:assume the dishes are uplink-downlink communication arrays, not solar
:collectors, although they do seem to be pointing toward the Sun).
:
:You could do it with a nuke, but there's no obvious way of rejecting
:the heat...
:

Come on, guys. The heat is used for environmental control. This is a
whacking great object in space. In those days it would probably have
been assumed that getting rid of heat in the cold of space would not
be a problem.

--George Bernard Shaw