launch JIMO on a shuttle C

Old September 25th 03, 12:11 AM
steve rappolee

Default launch JIMO on a shuttle C

I have read recently in aviation space week that Atlas V and delta IV
heavy fall short to launch JIMO at 40,000 + pounds into its orbit*
Perhaps here is a shuttle C mission.

Shuttle C with a Prometheus nuclear engine and
ion thruster as a upper stage.** transport ISS components*** to a
human tended out post in the, (a)earth liberation points.(b)human
tended moon orbiting station.(c)asteroid missions and
outposts.(d)transport ISS components to mars cycler and mars orbital
positions.(e)
Human tended communications farms in GEO (replace individual
communications sati lights.

The mass production of the shuttle, Prometheus,
ISS components that have or would have there development costs paid
for could be plowed back into production.

* I believe that the Jupiter orbiter would slowly boost out of some
type of earth orbit into an interplanetary one.

** The nuclear and ion engine could be a tug as well with more then a
one off use. Bring her back from say an L-1 or lunar mission and
refuel the ion source with one of those planned automated tender sati
lights.

*** Already developed most of these designs could be used again.50% of
the cost of ISS and Mars exploration rovers are development expenses.

Steve rappolee
Old September 25th 03, 11:45 AM
Doug Ellison

"steve rappolee" wrote in message
om...
I have read recently in aviation space week that Atlas V and delta IV
heavy fall short to launch JIMO at 40,000 + pounds into its orbit*
Perhaps here is a shuttle C mission.

Having just finished reading Star Crossed Orbits - I can say that going on
the pic of Jim in there, it's not a payload mass issue, it's finding a
fairing long enough to fit over him. He must be 6ft6 at LEAST

Doug

Old September 25th 03, 07:18 PM
Damon Hill

"Doug Ellison" wrote in
:

"steve rappolee" wrote in message
om...
I have read recently in aviation space week that Atlas V and delta IV
heavy fall short to launch JIMO at 40,000 + pounds into its orbit*
Perhaps here is a shuttle C mission.

Having just finished reading Star Crossed Orbits - I can say that
going on the pic of Jim in there, it's not a payload mass issue, it's
finding a fairing long enough to fit over him. He must be 6ft6 at
LEAST

Not called "Long Jim" without a reason, eh?

Hopefully the thing does a lot of folding to fit within a
reasonable space, though some very long payload shrouds
are available.

--Damon, who thinks that could be read in more than one way...
Old September 25th 03, 08:13 PM
steve rappolee

"Doug Ellison" wrote in message ...
"steve rappolee" wrote in message
om...
I have read recently in aviation space week that Atlas V and delta IV
heavy fall short to launch JIMO at 40,000 + pounds into its orbit*
Perhaps here is a shuttle C mission.

Doug wrote
Having just finished reading Star Crossed Orbits - I can say that going on
the pic of Jim in there, it's not a payload mass issue, it's finding a
fairing long enough to fit over him. He must be 6ft6 at LEAST

Doug

hahahaha a prankster! JIMO* is at least 40 feet long with that
radiater for the nuclear reactor maybe it folds up in the payload
shroud.this jim you talk about would be hard pressed to survive all
the way out to europa in just a pressure suit
*JIMO (jupiter imaging moon orbiter)
Old September 26th 03, 09:01 AM
George William Herbert

This is the most amusing name/acronym collision I have seen this year...

Doug Ellison wrote:
Having just finished reading Star Crossed Orbits - I can say that going on
the pic of Jim in there, it's not a payload mass issue, it's finding a
fairing long enough to fit over him. He must be 6ft6 at LEAST

Jim Oberg makes me look small, and I'm 6'5" when I stand up straight.
I don't look up at very many people in this world. Jim is one of them.

He's built like my brother (slightly taller than I am,
wide enough and strong enough to knock down and sit on
pro football players), but taller.

-george william herbert

Old October 9th 03, 10:52 PM
steve rappolee

(George William Herbert) wrote in message ...
This is the most amusing name/acronym collision I have seen this year...

snip snip snip

-george william herbert

JIMO
http://jimo.ucsd.edu/
This is not a Jupiter icy moons orbiter site but an oceanographic one!
But wait there is a connection after all.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/jimo/
The mission of JIMO would be to find oceans it bit further from us
then
Our planetary ocean here on earth.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/jimo2003/
What might JIMO and Prometheus do? This conference at this web site
begins the long process of thrashing this out.

http://www.geocities.com/awjmuller/lssdg
A good discussion group with links at the very bottom of the page.

http://www.nuclearspace.com/

This spacecraft will weight a great deal and will need a large booster
to place it in a safe orbit to activate its Prometheus thruster.
Shuttle C would be a good answer.
Both Shuttle C and Prometheus as an upper stage could be used for near
earth and planetary missions both automated and human tended. Mars
Direct type missions Could use nuclear engines to place cargo
consonants on the surface.