Sample return missions to last up to a century

Old October 7th 03, 03:33 PM
Rand Simberg

Default Sample return missions to last up to a century

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 23:15:54 -0700, in a place far, far away, Mary
Shafer made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

Or anything which involves you or me being able to get into space. Or
indeed, almost anything which involves going much beyond what NASA was
doing in about 1980.

Not to be contrary, but is it really NASA's job to get you or me into
space?

Apparently not.

Should it be?

That's the question. And it depends, of course, on what you mean by
"get you or me into space." Did NACA get you and me into the air?

I'd argue that they did so much more than NASA has done to get you and
me into space.

Old October 7th 03, 04:01 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Mary Shafer wrote:
There was a time when the sheer excitement of the work made up for a lot
of hassles, especially since many of the problems weren't then nearly so
bad. For some people it still does, especially if they luck out and find
themselves in the right job. But their numbers are dwindling.

I know some young engineers who think it's exciting now.

So do I -- note that I said "for some people it still does". But the
percentage for whom that's true is way down from what it once was, and
still falling.

Or anything which involves you or me being able to get into space...

Not to be contrary, but is it really NASA's job to get you or me into
space? Should it be?

I think it's NASA's job to advance the technology of spaceflight, in
support of spaceflight done by others... which would have the side effect
of hastening the day when space becomes accessible to people other than
government employees. There is precious little of that happening now.
Several crucial areas of technology, where there is good reason to think
that major improvements are possible, have stagnated pretty completely
since the 1960s.
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |