Moral Equivalent Of A Space Program

Old February 5th 06, 05:23 PM posted to sci.space.moderated,sci.space.policy

Default Moral Equivalent Of A Space Program

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:41:18 -0600, in a place far, far away,
LooseChanj made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

On or about Thu, 04 Nov 2004 09:46:50 -0600, ruzicka made the sensational claim that:
"French-nuzzling"? Geez....and this is supposed to be an "unbiased"
critique?

Rand works for Fox, what do you expect, "fair and balanced"?

I do not now, and never have, worked for Fox.

Old February 6th 06, 05:06 PM posted to sci.space.moderated,sci.space.policy

Rand Simberg wrote:

Rand works for Fox, what do you expect, "fair and balanced"?

I do not now, and never have, worked for Fox.

Now this in Monicagate terms is called "Parsing The Question".
You wrote a space editorial column that appeared in Fox News up till at
least Feb. 18th of 2004, but claimed you did it for free.
"Space Tourism Will Reinvigorate U.S. Space Program
Tuesday, February 26, 2002
By Rand Simberg

Editor's Note: Beginning this week, Fox News brings some of the web's
newest voices under its wing with the addition of the Fox Weblog. With
it, we hope to bring the far-flung corners of the Internet to your
desktop, with a little commentary on the side. For those who don't know,
a weblog is a tour of the Net guided by a pilot you will come to know
over time. We hope you enjoy the tour."

Pat

Old February 6th 06, 05:35 PM posted to sci.space.moderated,sci.space.policy

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:06:58 -0500, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in

Rand Simberg wrote:

Rand works for Fox, what do you expect, "fair and balanced"?

I do not now, and never have, worked for Fox.

Now this in Monicagate terms is called "Parsing The Question".
You wrote a space editorial column that appeared in Fox News up till at
least Feb. 18th of 2004, but claimed you did it for free.

A claim that is true. And almost without exception, they were simply
republished posts from my blog.

Old February 7th 06, 01:39 AM posted to sci.space.moderated,sci.space.policy

Rand Simberg wrote:

Rand works for Fox, what do you expect, "fair and balanced"?

I do not now, and never have, worked for Fox.

Now this in Monicagate terms is called "Parsing The Question".
You wrote a space editorial column that appeared in Fox News up till at
least Feb. 18th of 2004, but claimed you did it for free.

Pat, if you have some evidence that Fox sent me a check for that, I'd
love to have it, so that I can find out what happened to the money.

Or are you just being unusually obtuse, even for you?

Old February 7th 06, 01:41 AM posted to sci.space.moderated,sci.space.policy

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:39:51 -0500, in a place far, far away,
h (Rand Simberg) made the phosphor on my

Now this in Monicagate terms is called "Parsing The Question".
You wrote a space editorial column that appeared in Fox News up till at
least Feb. 18th of 2004, but claimed you did it for free.

Pat, if you have some evidence that Fox sent me a check for that, I'd
love to have it, so that I can find out what happened to the money.

Or are you just being unusually obtuse, even for you?

Sorry for the double response--that's what happens when one reads
multiple newsgroups...

Old February 8th 06, 01:08 PM posted to sci.space.moderated,sci.space.policy

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 05:10:48 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Fred J.
McCall" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

:I think O'Keefe is doing a decent enough job. I like killing the OSP
:and moving towards a CEV. That will make manned flight a lot cheaper
:for the US, which is huge.
:
:There's no reason to believe that CEV will reduce the cost of manned
:spaceflight.

When compared to Shuttle, a hideously expensive system?

Yes, even when compared to Shuttle.

I think there
is every reason to believe that CEV will somewhat reduce the cost of
manned spaceflight.

"Every reason"? There is, as I said, *no* reason.

I don't think it will reduce it *enough*, but I
think it's pretty obvious that it will reduce it when compared to the
most expensive way to get to space that currently exists.

Nope. Run the numbers, including development costs, and count the
flights, and crew trips, for the money.

Old February 10th 06, 10:42 PM posted to sci.space.moderated,sci.space.policy

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:29:50 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Fred J.
McCall" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

::There's no reason to believe that CEV will reduce the cost of manned
::spaceflight.
:
:When compared to Shuttle, a hideously expensive system?
:
:Yes, even when compared to Shuttle.

Got numbers for cost to orbit?

No, but they can be estimated, as described below.

:I think there
:is every reason to believe that CEV will somewhat reduce the cost of
:manned spaceflight.
:
:"Every reason"? There is, as I said, *no* reason.

I know you did. I disagree with you.

You say there's *every* reason, yet you have yet to provide a single
one.

: I don't think it will reduce it *enough*, but I
:think it's pretty obvious that it will reduce it when compared to the
:most expensive way to get to space that currently exists.
:
:Nope. Run the numbers, including development costs, and count the
:flights, and crew trips, for the money.

Do I get to include development costs for the Shuttle on its side of
the ledger?

No, because those are already sunk.

Old February 10th 06, 11:40 PM posted to sci.space.moderated,sci.space.policy

Rand Simberg wrote:

Now this in Monicagate terms is called "Parsing The Question".
You wrote a space editorial column that appeared in Fox News up till at
least Feb. 18th of 2004, but claimed you did it for free.

A claim that is true. And almost without exception, they were simply
republished posts from my blog.

Here you state you are writing the column for them:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?G40852D9C
"Sat, Mar 15 2003 11:27 pm
On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 13:56:55 +1100, in a place far, far away, "Alan
Erskine" alanersk...
http://groups.google.com/groups/unlock?msg=6480c6638297d6e6&hl=en&_done=/group/sci.space.history/browse_thread/thread/cc98ca8b6c242451/74a840fc57e7d54a%3Flnk%3Dst%26q%3Dsci.space.histor y%2Brand%2Bsimberg%2Bfox%2Bcolumn%26rnum%3D10%26hl
made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:
Rand, I'm using your comment about a smart individual as a quote. I

agree
and concur completely!

Glad to know that you don't always consider me insane. ;-)

Actually, I wrote a Fox News column on this subject a few months ago,
about what I called the "emergent stupidity," or the "committee
effect."

And he
Rand Simberg -
Date:
Thurs, May 1 2003 4:20 pm

"That's a subject of my latest Fox column. I say partially OT, because
the lead-in is a non-space-related war parody, though some might find
it amusing.

and he
Into the Wilderness

Rand Simberg