Equation of Time

Old April 27th 08, 12:43 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
oriel36[_2_]

Default Equation of Time

On 26 Apr, 13:18, (Pd) wrote:
oriel36 wrote:

a bunch of gibberish.

Who is this clueless dork? A troll? A scientologist?
A deranged astrologer? A nitwit necromancer?

--
Pd

For a person who believes and supports that there is a hemispherical
variable inclination to the Sun is a factor in the Equation of Time
via the analemma hoax,I am delighted that you find what I say to be
gibberish.

The Equation of Time is a global correction,it does not matter whether
a person is in the Northern or Southern hemispheres,the natural length
of the noon cycles vary regardless of hemispherical variations in
daylight/darkness.

With 24 hours/360 degrees taken as an assumption for constant axial
rotation and using natural noon as a benchmark,the difference between
idealised rotation in 24 hours and the natural rotation allied with
the change in orbital oreintation affirms Kepler's orbital gerometry
and behavior in terms of variable speed and distance travelled.The
Equation of Time therefore represents the rate of change of orbital
orientation as a location turns through 360 degrees to the central Sun
and orbitally takes a full orbit to do it.

..The cheesy websites offered in this thread and based on the analemma
hardly compare to the treatise of Huygens and how to determine natural
noon by using two plummets or by centralising natural noon using the
Sun's position against the horizon .There is a contemporary twist to
the Equation of Tim beside the fact that it represents an incredible
human achievement which make the 24 hour day and the subsequently
calendar system possible and that is its affirmation of Kepler's
orbital motion and geometry.

I leave you with your sub-geocentric view of the Earth's motions,I
suppose I would be sour too if I was forced to support that cartoon
version of axial and orbital motion -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:T...3%A9reo.en.png

Old April 27th 08, 01:40 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
oriel36[_2_]

On 26 Apr, 15:45, (jim) wrote:
Pd wrote:
oriel36 wrote:

a bunch of gibberish.

Who is this clueless dork? A troll? A scientologist?
A deranged astrologer? A nitwit necromancer?

He's Gerald - a pompous, self important, deluded half-wit who believes
he's the only 'real' astronomer in this group.

Sort of the Chris Holland of uk.sci.astronomy and sci.astro.amateur but
without the blatent homophobia.

Jim
--
"Well, well. We've come a long way from the Prime Minister's
*exploding cake." - Adam West, Batman.

Find me athttp://www.UrsaMinorBeta.co.uk

The most shocking part of the Piltdown hoax was not the hoax itself
but rather when ,the hoaxer was signalling that it was a hoax ,the
hints were was refused .The 'fact' became so established and so much
a part of the human evolutionary agenda that even in 1948 they could
write -

"The Piltdown enigma is still far from a final solution. At this
present moment I find Dr. Franz Weidenreich, who has won a just mead
of praise for his restoration of the ancient men of Java and of China,
rejecting the Piltdown fossils as authentic documents, so much are
they out of keeping with his theory of human evolution. On the other
hand I am firmly convinced that no theory of human evolution can be
regarded as satisfactory unless the revelations of Piltdown are taken
into account. "

http://www.clarku.edu/~piltdown/map_...t_english.html

No offense to the early 20th century wild goosechase in biological
evolution ,it is nothing compared to the catastrophe created by
Flamsteed in either taking an inapproipriate shortcut of intentionally
wrecking heliocentric principles in drawing a false conclusion for
axial rotation by using a zodiacal framework and all wrapped up in a
graphic -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:T...3%A9reo.en.png

It is though you could shake a person and ask - what is the matter
with you?,can you not spot a dumb hoax whern you see it !.This one is
not going away and all the mean spiritedness cannot substitute for the
fact that when Flamsteed jumped the tracks with the reasoning which
leads to the value of 23 hours 56 minutes 04 seconds he set astronomy
on course for intellectual oblivion.

Old April 28th 08, 07:03 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Les Desser

In article , OG
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 20:15:39 writes

"Les Desser" wrote in message
I am preparing a presentation on the Equation of Time and have been trying
to find a clear description, preferable with diagrams, of the adjustment
due to obliquity.

The explanation at the National Maritime Museum
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.351 only makes sense if you
already know the answer

The best I could find was the page at
http://www.wallingfordclock.talktalk.net/Sidereal%20Time.htm but I still
find it inadequate.

The example of the bus going down the incline is good to show the slowdown
but I cannot find anything appropriate to explain the speeding up.

Has anyone seen and better presented explanations?

Does this have what you're looking for
http://www.analemma.com/
?

Thanks - that looks very interesting.

--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Old April 28th 08, 07:07 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Les Desser

In article , Mike Dworetsky
Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:04:16 writes

There is a diagram, possibly what you are looking for, that separates
the obliquity and eccentricity effects, at the Royal Observatory web
site:

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.351

I have seen that. Unfortunately it doesn't really "say" anything.
Anyone who does not already know what is going on is unlikely to see the
light by reading the very brief descriptions.
Old April 28th 08, 10:57 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Les Desser

In article , Mike Dworetsky
Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:09:48 writes

Try the diagram on this one.

http://www.astronomynotes.com/nakedeye/s9.htm

Thanks - will do
Old April 29th 08, 01:22 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
oriel36[_2_]

"Les Desser" wrote in message
[...]

(The Reply-to address IS valid)- Hide quoted text -

I have to laugh,many look down at the Americans with the minority of
creationists who live there whereas on this side of the ocean there
are those who are full blown astrologers -

http://www.math.nus.edu.sg/aslaksen/...lemmaCurve.gif

The Equation of Time is a global correction applied to the total
length of the natural noon cycle,to believe that there is some sort of
hemispherical variable axial inclination involved,hence the analemma
hoax, is basically to be on intellectual par with a flat Earther.The
analemma must be some sort of eccentric English joke ,in which
case,it is not funny anymore but I would'nt spend too long trying to
convince the English on it insofar as the treatise of Huygens on the
Equation of Time and what it does sets the standard against which any
alternative view can be compared.

For goodness sake,what is it that makes people believe in an
astrological framework with a value for axial rotation through 360
degrees in 23 hours 56 minutes 04 seconds !!!,Does anybody here
understand that it is even below the level of creationist thinking or
rather,do they noit understand the basic transfer of the 24 hour day
to the axial cycle as a constant but not as an observance as the
solar/sidereal ficvtion has it -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:T...3%A9reo.en.png

This is not the first time you lot disgraced your nation,the King had
to intervene in the matter of Harrison's rightful resolution for
determination of longitudes using his clock (which of course involves
the Equation of Time principles) but now the situation is far,far
worse.I do not mind that you fraks betray your natiion,if you wish to
believe in the solar/sidereal fiction above then that is either
madness or eccentricity however that type of reasoning places an
incredible obstacle to productive work due to its astrological
foundations.