Mercury/Venus, a stuffed bird(?) and a new form of light pollution...

Old June 28th 05, 12:20 AM
Pete Lawrence

Default Mercury/Venus, a stuffed bird(?) and a new form of light pollution...

I'm sure that bird *is* stuffed - it never seems to move!

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/20050627/2005-06-27.html

No sign of Saturn in the horizon hugging murk.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old June 28th 05, 01:00 AM
Robin Leadbeater

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
I'm sure that bird *is* stuffed - it never seems to move!

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/20050627/2005-06-27.html

No sign of Saturn in the horizon hugging murk.
--

Glad I am not the only one who can't pick up Saturn. Conditions were pretty
good here yesterday and using 10x50s I managed to track Venus and Mercury

Robin

Old June 28th 05, 01:33 AM
Wally Anglesea™

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:00:35 +0100, "Robin Leadbeater"
wrote:

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
.. .
I'm sure that bird *is* stuffed - it never seems to move!

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/20050627/2005-06-27.html

No sign of Saturn in the horizon hugging murk.
--

Glad I am not the only one who can't pick up Saturn. Conditions were pretty
good here yesterday and using 10x50s I managed to track Venus and Mercury
setting over the Solway right the way down until they disappeared behind
the distant mountains. (I will have to get one of these fancy DSLRs and
show you what a real sunset looks like ;-) Not a sign of Saturn though.

At least you guys got *something*. :-)

We've been in drought for months, and the rains came over the past
week. Yesterday was bucketing down at sunset.

I shouldn't complain. we really *do* need the rain.
--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

Astronomy pages:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese...Astronomy.html

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
Old June 28th 05, 04:48 PM
Laurence E

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
I'm sure that bird *is* stuffed - it never seems to move!

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/20050627/2005-06-27.html

No sign of Saturn in the horizon hugging murk.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Recent images http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/recent/recent_images.html
** Last update June 24 2005 **

Nice one Peter. I was watching it with Bins and thinking you'd have it
snapped! I couldn't make Saturn out in the beautiful murk either!

Laurence

Old June 28th 05, 05:42 PM
Mark Ayliffe

On or about 2005-06-27,
Pete Lawrence illuminated us with:
I'm sure that bird *is* stuffed - it never seems to move!

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/20050627/2005-06-27.html

It's one of the RFC 1149[1] birds, having a rest after delivering your last pic.

[1] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html
--
Mark
Real email address | "If there are two or more ways to do something,
Old June 28th 05, 09:46 PM
TeaTime

'tis interesting to note that at this time we are roughly equidistant from
Mercury, the sun and Mars - all around 1.01 a.u. away.

Old June 29th 05, 04:45 PM
Brian Tung

TeaTime wrote:
'tis interesting to note that at this time we are roughly equidistant from
Mercury, the sun and Mars - all around 1.01 a.u. away.

Dang. That must be one big stuffed bird.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old June 29th 05, 10:18 PM

Aren't we looking at a Cormorant Pete? Prone to sitting still for long
periods to dry its plumage. It is now a very common, large, all black,
diving bird readily seen on most European coasts and waterways.

Chris.B