Could this be a model for the United States?

Old August 3rd 04, 09:29 PM
Rodney Kelp

Default Could this be a model for the United States?

We could do it because it is hard. We don't need to wimp out of every hard
challange.

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
ink.net...
Rodney Kelp wrote:

We can pour billions and billions of dollars for war. We put billions on
cosmetics. Now billions on statins. Is there no change left for the

space
program?

What does that have to do with your contention that it's easy to build a
mile-high frame?

---

Old August 3rd 04, 09:34 PM
Rand Simberg

Rodney Kelp wrote:

We could do it because it is hard. We don't need to wimp out of every hard
challange.

There are many foolish things that we can do, if the only goal is to do
something "hard." We could also attempt to dig a hole to the center of
the earth. Why is our failure to do so "wimping out"?
Old August 4th 04, 01:18 AM
Rand Simberg

Alain Fournier wrote:

We could do it because it is hard. We don't need to wimp out of every
hard
challange.

There are many foolish things that we can do, if the only goal is to
do something "hard." We could also attempt to dig a hole to the
center of the earth. Why is our failure to do so "wimping out"?

Hey, don't stop at the center of earth. I want a short cut to get
to Australia :-)

Maybe the Aussies will meet us halfway. They're probably looking for
something hard, too. I'd like to see Rodney call them wimps.
Especially that crocodile guy.

Old August 4th 04, 10:57 PM
Rodney Kelp

Come to think of it, a hole all the way through the earth might be a good
way to space. Firing a rocket downward would get great acceleration. If you
came out the other end at mach 30.. never mind, you'd probably burn up on
the way up.

Old August 4th 04, 11:08 PM
Rand Simberg

Rodney Kelp wrote:

We could do it because it is hard. We don't need to wimp out of every

hard

challange.

Stop top posting.

If the goal is to get to space, then sensible person would choose the
easiest means of doing that, not the hardest.

Old August 5th 04, 03:30 AM
Rand Simberg

Joann Evans wrote:

Come to think of it, a hole all the way through the earth might be a good
way to space. Firing a rocket downward would get great acceleration. If you
came out the other end at mach 30.. never mind, you'd probably burn up on
the way up.

Well, ignoring what Earht's internal heat would do, and pretending
this tube is a vacuum, you'd still lose whatever you gained after you
passed though the center. You're going 'uphill' after that.

Earth's rotation complicates things even more, unless this path
coencides with Earth's axis...

Joanne, forget it. Rodney (if that's his real name) is clearly innocent
of the laws of physics.