PA Astronomy Club Meeting - Please Read PA'ers

Old March 10th 04, 09:44 AM
Ted A. Nichols II

Default PA Astronomy Club Meeting - Please Read PA'ers

All,

--Feel Free to Forward this Message--

In case you're not aware a Statewide Cooperative is to be formed
amongst the astronomy clubs in PA. Much like other statewide
cooperatives with similar benefits, such as the United Clubs of New
Jersey, etc.

An organizational meeting for the Pennsylvania Astronomy Club
Cooperative is to be held at 1 PM on Saturday April 3, 2004 at the
Astronomical Society of Harrisburg's Naylor Observatory in Lewisberry,
PA. ALL clubs are welcome to send delegates to the meeting,
refreshments will be available as well as friendship. RSVP's were
requested by March 8 and as of that date we received several
committments from clubs but we also received tentative information
from several clubs (CPO, ChesMont, CCAS, AHAS, Bucks-Mont, AELC, etc.)
If you're in that list, please contact me and let me know if you are
coming. Even though the RSVP date has passed as long as you contact me
within the next few weeks we can still get you in for the meeting.

I've been in contact with all of the Astronomy Clubs of the State and
Currently have a large percentage of the clubs in the state signed up
to attend the meeting. Currently representatives from the Astronomical
Society of Harrisburg, the York County Astronomical Society, the
Starlight Astronomy Club, the Oil Region Astronomical Society, the
Delaware Valley Amateur Astronomers, the Berks County Amateur
Astronomical Society, the Lehigh Valley Amateur Astronomical Society,
the Erie County Mobile Observers, and the Lackawanna Astronomical
Society are slated to attend.

Are you a member of a club in the state that isn't listed there?
Please contact your astronomy club officers and remind them of the
meeting and encourage your club to attend.

Together there is a lot we can accomplish in the state together and in
a way that is does not drain a clubs finances to have an affiliation
and promote astronomy on a higher level.. We want clubs to see
unquestionable benefits of this, not just a newsletter every now and
then. We can foster observing across the state through programs and
cooperative observing nights, foster camaraderie amongst clubs,
promote and collaborate on research projects, keep each club up to
date as to what others are doing, have statewide events, work with the
POLC and other organizations to promote proper lighting, and work with
the fine folks at DCNR to open up more sites for observing across the
state to amateurs astronomers. Public wise there is much we can do to
promote the clubs the state offers and promote astronomy and astronomy
education as well as keeping people informed of events going on
throughout the state and More!

There are so many more benefits and all of this is to be discussed at
the organizational meeting. Make sure your club brings its ideas to
the meeting and before you come think of some things you'd like for
YOUR club to get out of a statewide cooperative.

Please if you are a club in the state that isn't on the list of
attendees contact your officers or if you are an officer, contact me
at to have your club signed up to attend the
organizational meeting.

Otherwise, after the meeting I will post and get in touch with all
clubs in regards to the outcome.

Thanks to all of you for your support! Together we can make things
happen in PA astronomy wise!

Regards,
Ted A. Nichols II
President - ASH