Is water conserved?

Old June 17th 11, 07:03 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
RichD

Default Is water conserved?

Is there any natural process which alters the quantity
of water on earth, net?

if not, does that imply the amount of water is
unchanged since planetary formation?

--
Rich
Old June 17th 11, 07:31 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
Salmon Egg

In article
,
RichD wrote:

Is there any natural process which alters the quantity
of water on earth, net?

if not, does that imply the amount of water is
unchanged since planetary formation?

--
Rich

You have to put a scale as to what you mean by conserved.

Water has been lost by space craft. Some diffuses out of the Earth's
atmosphere. Nuclear fusion bombs and experiments use up hydrogen derived
from water.

Be more sophisticated in your question.

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.
Old June 17th 11, 08:15 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
Androcles[_44_]

"RichD" wrote in message
| Is there any natural process which alters the quantity
| of water on earth, net?

Yes and no. Water vapour (a gas) will escape the Moon
and lighter gases such as helium and hydrogen will escape
the Earth. So if enough energy splits the water molecule
when it is already high in the atmosphere the oxygen being
heavier falls back and the hydrogen can escape. On the
positive side the Earth can pass through the tail of a comet
and collect water. Both of these processes are possible
but uncommon and miniscule.

| if not, does that imply the amount of water is
| unchanged since planetary formation?

Yes. Sea levels can fall if ice is piled high on land such
as Antarctica and Greenland and can rise if the ice melts,
but the total quantity of H2O is constant. The archeological
record shows man and mammoth once lived on land 12,000
years ago that today is the North Sea. Fishing trawlers regularly
net mammoth bone and even weapons from the sea floor.

Old June 17th 11, 08:39 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
Chris Richardson

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:03:24 -0700, RichD wrote:

Is there any natural process which alters the quantity of water on
earth, net?

Would you consider life to be a "natural process?"

Well, it certainly is, and the biochemical splitting of water
by photosynthetic organisms is/has been responsible for oxygen
in the atmosphere. Of course, living organisms also synthesize
water, but the overall water balance on the earth has indeed been
altered by the progress of life.

Old June 17th 11, 08:40 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
hanson

"RichD" wrote:
Is there any natural process which alters the
quantity of water on earth, net?
if not, does that imply the amount of water is
unchanged since planetary formation?

hanson wrote:
There are all kinds of theories about it. Google.
Assuming that you mean liquid water, then of course
earth had only water from when its surface cooled
below 100°C. In a good TV show the comment
was: "and then it rained.... torrentially, all over,
day and night for millions and million of years"

It is also hotly debated whether the planet still gets
"snowed" upon, from outer space, today, after the
main amount of water was brought here during
accretion and from comets and meteors.

On the other end of the spectrum of this issue is the
theory that ALL water will eventually be absorbed by
hydrating of Alk. Earth Metal Silicates, rocks, and
the world will become bone dry. Water then can be
only extracted if the hydrated rock is heated to some
400°F. -- An analog sample is Gypsum: Mix Gypsum
with water and it absorbs the water and gets hard.
Heat that hard gypsum to some 250F and the water
comes out and the Gypsum get powdery again:
CaSO4+2H2O = CaSO4*2H2O

Of course, all that is what "they" say. I wasn't there....
...ahahaha..
The guiding prime directive of nature is always that:
||| the only thing that is constant is change itself |||

Old June 17th 11, 08:41 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
Helmut Wabnig

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:03:24 -0700 (PDT), RichD
wrote:

Is there any natural process which alters the quantity
of water on earth, net?

if not, does that imply the amount of water is
unchanged since planetary formation?

Some crackpottery wanted?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welteislehre

w.
Old June 17th 11, 09:12 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
Mark Thorson

RichD wrote:

Is there any natural process which alters the quantity
of water on earth, net?

Yes. Comets bring water. For a long time
the leading theory as to the origin of the water
in the oceans was comets, but that no longer seems
likely. Nevertheless, it still may have been a
significant source.

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news008.html
Old June 18th 11, 10:57 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
hanson

HW "Helmut Wabnig" [email protected] --- -.dotat

http://tinyurl.com/Nazi-Wabnig-is-a-US-Jew-hater
http://tinyurl.com/Wabnigs-GPS-Dingleberries
http://tinyurl.com/Potter-explains-GPS-to-Wabnig
http://tinyurl.com/Helmut-Wabnig-is-a-stupid-****

So now, Wabie, that your are duly introduced let us
shine light onto your current tripe:

RichD wrote:
Is there any natural process which alters the quantity
of water on earth, net?
if not, does that imply the amount of water is
unchanged since planetary formation?

Wabnig wrote:
Some crackpottery wanted? .. Hörbiger'a WEL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welteislehre

hanson wrote:
As usual your tripe has "Anti-US-Brit-Jew" undertones.
Following that WEL in wiki one can see the following:
-- cit, on ---
Among Hörbiger's WEL followers was Viennese author
Egon Friedell, born Friedmann who was a prominent
Jewish Austrian philosopher, historian, journalist, actor,
cabaret performer (Kabarettist) and theatre critic, who
explained in the World Ice Theory (WEL) in his 1930
Cultural History of the Modern Age:.."so it needed an
Austrian to cleanse the world of Jewish science."

One of the early supporters of Hörbiger's theories was
Houston Stewart Chamberlain, of English ancestry. He
was the leading theorist behind the early development
of the Nazi Party in Germany. In 1923 Hitler visited
Chamberlain with several highly ranked members of the
Nazi party.[26] Chamberlain's ideas were influential, in
particular onto Alfred Rosenberg, who became the Nazi
Party's philosopher. Alfred Rosenberg was an ethnic
Jew from Estonia who had wives Hilda Leesmann, then
Hedwig Kramer. The Jew Alfreed Rosenberg was one
of the architects of the Holocaust...
-- cit. off -- "Oyeweh! Go figure".

Wabie, Wabie, Wabie... sheesh!...

,

Old June 18th 11, 05:47 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,sci.astro
dlzc

Dear RichD:

On Jun 17, 11:03*am, RichD wrote:
Is there any natural process which alters the quantity
of water on earth, net?

if not, does that imply the amount of water is
unchanged since planetary formation?

Net gains:
- temperature low enough to retain hydrogen and oxygen atoms (fail
hydrogen, pass oxygen)
- some braking mechanism for hydrogen / oxygen from solar wind (pass,
magnetic field)
- some atmosphere already present for braking (pass)

Net losses:
- single hydrogen atoms at the temperatures at the top of our
atmosphere, have enough KE (if not necessarily the right direction) to
escape Earth's gravity well.

Net conversions:
- clathrates and "polymers"
- photosynthesis

So no, what we have now is what we have now. The future hold probably
both more and less water.

David A. Smith