Bear Cub to tether

Old March 1st 04, 08:37 PM
Henry Cate, Jr

Default Bear Cub to tether

I've been playing with Len Cormier's Bear Cub. As a tether
enthusiast, I'm interested in the impact of using a tether with the
Bear Cub.

A hanging tether can give as much as 800 m/s sub orbital grapple or
trapeze target. The payload of the Bear Cub grows from 455 kg to
about 1200 kg for such a tether.

I use the rocket equation to get a table of the net velocity available
to this configuration with increased payloads. This gave me the
following table.

Payload Ideal DV $/kg
455 9.472 549
620 9.233 403
900 8.865 278
1000 8.744 250
1200 8.516 208

Len estimated a per flight cost of about $250,000. I couldn't resist
adding the cost per kilogram to this table.

I'm a bit tentative about the conversion from "Ideal DV" to orbital
altitude. If I use the Buzz Aldrin 15% loss to gravity, air
resistance, etc. Then 9.474 km/s should produce an effective 8.23
km/s. If I spend 8.07 to get into a transfer orbit, and 0.16 to
circularize the orbit, that looks like 550 km altitude. Does that
work?

Henry

For sanity; these are the figures I used in my spreadsheet.

Len gave an expected ideal DV for each of the pieces; the Tupelov
carrier, the booster stage, and the orbiter. He quoted the ISP for
the RL-10. The booster stage uses Kerosene, Len does not provide an
ISP for the booster stage. I infer an exhaust of about 3200 m/s from
the mass and DV.

Payload Ideal DV ISP m/s Empty Fuel GLOW
455 5.553 4422 Orbiter 1945 6025 8425
3.249 3200 Booster 2340 19000 29765
0.670 Tupelov95 94400
Total 9.472
Old March 2nd 04, 04:11 AM
Len

(Henry Cate, Jr) wrote in message . com...
[...]

This last table is essentially correct. The Isp
assumed for the booster is 3195 m/s. However, I
calculate that reduction of the orbiter delta v
requirement by 800 m/s to 4753 m/s would reduce
the required mass ratio to 2.93, which would give
a payload of about 930 kg, rather than 1200 kg--
which is still a very nice improvement. Of course,
the tether isn't free, so this would also add to
total costs. The $250,000 per flight recurring cost
is a goal, not an estimate--although I think it is
a reasonable goal.

The gross orbiter mass should remain the same,
in order to maintain initial thrust-to-weight
ratio. Higher payload means higher burnout and
reentry mass; so this would have an impact on
TPS, reducing the payload somewhat.

The Tu-95 would launch the same mass. The booster
would also remain about the same (although I might
opt for a different recovery concept). And the
total delta v requirement would be the same for
the same basic ISS orbit. BTW most of the delta v
losses are early in the game; this--along with the
near-elimination of the altitude compensation
requirement--are the main benfits of subsonic launch
at altitude.

Our Space Van 2008 envisages subsonic launch at
extreme altitude, by taking some cues from our Condor-X
X PRIZE concept. This can be equivalent to supersonic
launch at low supersonic speeds. It also results in
a relatively gentle ride to altitude with the orbiter
never encountering more than about 7500 Pa dynamic
pressure. Constraints on orbiter size and shape are
also greatly relieved. The altitude compensation
problem is completely eliminated for the booster and
orbiter.

IMO, there are many ways of getting to orbit that are
far superior to what we have been doing. I unabashedly
pursue concept designs, since I feel that system concept
design is by far the most important "technology"--especially
when one is dealing with very limited resources. We shall
focus, when we get serious money to pursue a particular
concept.

Best regards,
Len (Cormier)
PanAero, Inc.
(change x to len)
http://www.tour2space.com
Old March 3rd 04, 03:10 AM
Henry Cate, Jr

(Len) wrote in message . com...
(Henry Cate, Jr) wrote in message
I use the rocket equation to get a table of the net velocity available
to this configuration with increased payloads. This gave me the
following table.

Payload Ideal DV
455 9.472
620 9.233
900 8.865
1000 8.744
1200 8.516

Henry

Len gave an expected ideal DV for each of the pieces; the Tupelov
carrier, the booster stage, and the orbiter. He quoted the ISP for
the RL-10. The booster stage uses Kerosene, Len does not provide an
ISP for the booster stage. I infer an exhaust of about 3200 m/s from
the mass and DV.

Payload Ideal DV ISP m/s Empty Fuel GLOW
455 5.553 4422 Orbiter 1945 6025 8425
3.249 3200 Booster 2340 19000 29765
0.670 Tupelov95 94400
Total 9.472

This last table is essentially correct. The Isp
assumed for the booster is 3195 m/s. However, I
calculate that reduction of the orbiter delta v
requirement by 800 m/s to 4753 m/s would reduce
the required mass ratio to 2.93, which would give
a payload of about 930 kg, rather than 1200 kg--
which is still a very nice improvement.

I assumed the Tupelov could carry and extra mass and not notice the
difference. I assumed the fuel load stayed constant, and only the
final payload changed, though that changes the effective mass ratio of
the booster stage. That's how the 1200 worked out. Is the Bear Cub
payload mass limited, or volume limited? How hard would it be to
stuff an extra 1000 kg into the orbiter?

Of course,
the tether isn't free, so this would also add to
total costs. The $250,000 per flight recurring cost
is a goal, not an estimate--although I think it is
a reasonable goal.

I agree that this is a reasonable goal. It seems high if we could get
a high flight rate (I.e. if we fly often, the cost per flight should
be lower.)

The tether isn't free, but the operating costs are low, so the major
cost would be paying for the R&D. (I'm interested in tourists, where
there is round trip traffic, so there is little or no net energy cost
to the tether.) I believe the investment dominates the Bear Cub
flight costs also.

The gross orbiter mass should remain the same,
in order to maintain initial thrust-to-weight
ratio. Higher payload means higher burnout and
reentry mass; so this would have an impact on
TPS, reducing the payload somewhat.

I don't follow this. The initial mass has changed by 465 (or 750) kg,
out of 29.7 tons. That doesn't seem to impact the thrust to weight
very much?

Higher payload means lower burnout velocity for the booster. I don't
see what impact on reentry mass. Why would the reentry mass change by
adding 465 kg to the payload (the booster delivers 8880 instead of
8425)?

My spread sheet assumed both the booster and the orbiter deliver less
DV due to the increase in payload. I assumed I could carry the same
fuel load, since more payload doesn't impact the fuel tank?

The Tu-95 would launch the same mass. The booster
would also remain about the same (although I might
opt for a different recovery concept).

I'd assumed we could add 465 or 750 kg to payload in the Bear Cub
orbiter without changing either the Tu-95 or the booster. As I said
above, the Tu-95 wouldn't notice the difference between 29.7 tons and
30.1, would it?

I'm a bit tentative about the conversion from "Ideal DV" to orbital
altitude. If I use the Buzz Aldrin 15% loss to gravity, air
resistance, etc. Then 9.474 km/s should produce an effective 8.23
km/s. If I spend 8.07 to get into a transfer orbit, and 0.16 to
circularize the orbit, that looks like 550 km altitude. Does that
work?

And the
total delta v requirement would be the same for
the same basic ISS orbit.

So the Bear Cub is aimed at the ISS orbit, of 400 km altitude at 57
degree inclination?

BTW most of the delta v
losses are early in the game; this--along with the
near-elimination of the altitude compensation
requirement--are the main benfits of subsonic launch
at altitude.

I thought the Aldrin 15% would be generous. It appeared to my logic
that just getting to 15 km altitude could easily cost 350-400 m/s in
gravity loss, for example (with vertical launch rockets). I don't
know how to calculate gravity and other Delta V losses with
confidence.
Old March 4th 04, 04:16 AM
Len

(Henry Cate, Jr) wrote in message . com...
(Len) wrote in message . com...

.....snip...

I assumed the Tupelov could carry and extra mass and not notice the
difference. I assumed the fuel load stayed constant, and only the
final payload changed, though that changes the effective mass ratio of
the booster stage. That's how the 1200 worked out. Is the Bear Cub
payload mass limited, or volume limited? How hard would it be to
stuff an extra 1000 kg into the orbiter?

A ton or so more on the Tupolev is probably noise level.
However, 30 tonnes is lot of concentrated load for any
existing airplane--I'm not sure that one could push
that amount much higher without asking for trouble.

Of course,
the tether isn't free, so this would also add to
total costs. The $250,000 per flight recurring cost
is a goal, not an estimate--although I think it is
a reasonable goal.

I agree that this is a reasonable goal. It seems high if we could get
a high flight rate (I.e. if we fly often, the cost per flight should
be lower.)

Our stated goal for development costs for the
Bear Cub is $100,000,000. IMO, this adds about
$30,000,000 per year to total costs. At 100
flights per year, this amounts to $300,000 per
flight for return on development investment.
At 200 flights per year, this reduces to $150,000
per flight. If your tether costs only $10,000,000,
then it makes economic sense. If it costs
$100,000,000, then it would probably make more
sense to fly more unassisted Bear Cub flights.
Of course, there could be a decent argument for a
larger payload per flight--but even than argument
can go the other direction.

The tether isn't free, but the operating costs are low, so the major
cost would be paying for the R&D. (I'm interested in tourists, where
there is round trip traffic, so there is little or no net energy cost
to the tether.) I believe the investment dominates the Bear Cub
flight costs also.

The gross orbiter mass should remain the same,
in order to maintain initial thrust-to-weight
ratio. Higher payload means higher burnout and
reentry mass; so this would have an impact on
TPS, reducing the payload somewhat.

I don't follow this. The initial mass has changed by 465 (or 750) kg,
out of 29.7 tons. That doesn't seem to impact the thrust to weight
very much?

The orbiter gross mass is currently 8425 kg.
Adding 465 kg or 750 kg could start adding to losses,
since the thrust of the RL10 would not change.
Adding 465 kg or 750 kg to the booster would not
improve orbital payload much.

Higher payload means lower burnout velocity for the booster. I don't
see what impact on reentry mass. Why would the reentry mass change by
adding 465 kg to the payload (the booster delivers 8880 instead of
8425)?

We would be adding 465 kg to the reentry mass. These
details have a way of adding up to a serious problem.
Higher planform loading means higher temperature, which
adds to TPS mass, which adds to planform loading, etc.

My spread sheet assumed both the booster and the orbiter deliver less
DV due to the increase in payload. I assumed I could carry the same
fuel load, since more payload doesn't impact the fuel tank?

The Tu-95 would launch the same mass. The booster
would also remain about the same (although I might
opt for a different recovery concept).

I'd assumed we could add 465 or 750 kg to payload in the Bear Cub
orbiter without changing either the Tu-95 or the booster. As I said
above, the Tu-95 wouldn't notice the difference between 29.7 tons and
30.1, would it?

No, but the orbiter would notice the burnout mass difference.
The orbiter would also notice a correspondingly larger
difference in gross mass, if you try to apply the tether
benefit to other than the orbiter. BTW, I think you will
find that applying the delta vee benefit to the orbiter
would maximize the potential benefit of the tether.

....snip...

And the
total delta v requirement would be the same for
the same basic ISS orbit.

So the Bear Cub is aimed at the ISS orbit, of 400 km altitude at 57
degree inclination?

Well, that's one obvious potential mission.

BTW most of the delta v
losses are early in the game; this--along with the
near-elimination of the altitude compensation
requirement--are the main benfits of subsonic launch
at altitude.

I thought the Aldrin 15% would be generous.

It depends upon the vehicle concept, but 15% is
not generous--especially if one includes back-pressure
nozzle losses as part of total losses. A high
acceleration rocket concept can have somewhat
lower losses--perhaps in the 15% range. Airbreathing
concepts are likely to have 40% or 50% losses.

It appeared to my logic
that just getting to 15 km altitude could easily cost 350-400 m/s in
gravity loss, for example (with vertical launch rockets). I don't
know how to calculate gravity and other Delta V losses with
confidence.

15 km is rather difficult to achieve. I usually count
subsonic (mach 0.8) at 12 km as being worth about
670 m/s delta vee ideal, including equivalent losses.
At some point, of course, one should run a actual
trajectory for a specific concept. But I generally
assume about 9510 m/s for a typical, well-designed
rocket vehicle to something like the ISS orbit.

Best regards,
Len (Cormier)
PanAero, Inc.
(change x to len)
http://www.tour2space.com
Old March 4th 04, 08:04 PM
Henry Cate, Jr

....snip... frequent trims ;-)

A ton or so more on the Tupolev is probably noise level.
However, 30 tonnes is lot of concentrated load for any
existing airplane--I'm not sure that one could push
that amount much higher without asking for trouble.

With a gross mass of 185 tonnes, empty mass of 94.4 tonnes, I'd
assumed the TU-95 could carry close to 90 tonnes. It the problem
putting mass outside? I assume some mass is fuel load?

Of course, there could be a decent argument for a
larger payload per flight--but even than argument
can go the other direction.

I buy the argument that small payload and fly often beats large
payload and fly rarely.

The gross orbiter mass should remain the same,
in order to maintain initial thrust-to-weight
ratio. Higher payload means higher burnout and
reentry mass; so this would have an impact on
TPS, reducing the payload somewhat.

I don't follow this. The initial mass has changed by 465 (or 750) kg,
out of 29.7 tons. That doesn't seem to impact the thrust to weight
very much?

The orbiter gross mass is currently 8425 kg.
Adding 465 kg or 750 kg could start adding to losses,
since the thrust of the RL10 would not change.

The hope was that the tether could provide a slower target for the
orbiter, and allow the larger payload.

Adding 465 kg or 750 kg to the booster would not
improve orbital payload much.

I don't know any way for a tether to interact with the booster.

Higher payload means lower burnout velocity for the booster. I don't
see what impact on reentry mass. Why would the reentry mass change by
adding 465 kg to the payload (the booster delivers 8880 instead of
8425)?

We would be adding 465 kg to the reentry mass. These
details have a way of adding up to a serious problem.
Higher planform loading means higher temperature, which
adds to TPS mass, which adds to planform loading, etc.

If I add 465 kg to the payload mass, I was planning to leave it in
orbit, not bring it back. I'm thinking of building a station (and a
larger tether) in LEO, so one way traffic has been my main focus.

The orbiter would also notice a correspondingly larger
difference in gross mass, if you try to apply the tether
benefit to other than the orbiter. BTW, I think you will
find that applying the delta vee benefit to the orbiter
would maximize the potential benefit of the tether.

My model is that the orbiter grabs the tether, saving some delta V.
This borrows some momentum from the tether and ballast. An
elecrodynamic reboost pumps the momentum back up. The payload would
be unloaded to the tether, then the orbiter returns for another trip.

I thought the Aldrin 15% would be generous.

It depends upon the vehicle concept, but 15% is
not generous--especially if one includes back-pressure
nozzle losses as part of total losses. A high
acceleration rocket concept can have somewhat
lower losses--perhaps in the 15% range. Airbreathing
concepts are likely to have 40% or 50% losses.

I was too terse. I thought the Aldrin 15% was generous for an air
launch such as the Bear Cub.

15 km is rather difficult to achieve. I usually count
subsonic (mach 0.8) at 12 km as being worth about
670 m/s delta vee ideal, including equivalent losses.
At some point, of course, one should run a actual
trajectory for a specific concept. But I generally
assume about 9510 m/s for a typical, well-designed
rocket vehicle to something like the ISS orbit.

Thanks for the sanity check. I recognize that I am long on theory and
short on practical application.

Henry
Old March 5th 04, 04:25 AM
Len

(Henry Cate, Jr) wrote in message . com...
....snip... frequent trims ;-)

A ton or so more on the Tupolev is probably noise level.
However, 30 tonnes is lot of concentrated load for any
existing airplane--I'm not sure that one could push
that amount much higher without asking for trouble.

With a gross mass of 185 tonnes, empty mass of 94.4 tonnes, I'd
assumed the TU-95 could carry close to 90 tonnes. It the problem
putting mass outside? I assume some mass is fuel load?

Fuel load in the wings is relieving. A concentrated load
on the centerline is usually harder to handle. Also
length is a problem, since the nose gear folds aft. But,
additional mass on the centerline might be possible; I
don't have enough information at this point. And I don't
have a Technical Assistance Agreement from our State Dept.
to discuss the problem with Tupolev.

Of course, there could be a decent argument for a
larger payload per flight--but even than argument
can go the other direction.

I buy the argument that small payload and fly often beats large
payload and fly rarely.

....snip...

The hope was that the tether could provide a slower target for the
orbiter, and allow the larger payload.

Yes, and since the orbiter would have less work to do,
some of the mass of the propellant (and tankage) could be
allotted to payload.

Adding 465 kg or 750 kg to the booster would not
improve orbital payload much.

I don't know any way for a tether to interact with the booster.

The interaction would be indirect; the delta vee split
could be different, but this would change initial orbiter
thrust-to-weight, which might not be good.

....snip...

If I add 465 kg to the payload mass, I was planning to leave it in
orbit, not bring it back. I'm thinking of building a station (and a
larger tether) in LEO, so one way traffic has been my main focus.

If, for some reason, you can't get rid of the payload,
then you have to allow for possible reentry at essentially
burnout mass. Abort jettisoning would be an added
complication.

[...]

I tend to look at the total delta vee requirement.
The allowance for subsonic launch is basically
equivalent to what would have happened with a
rocket launch from the surface.

15 km is rather difficult to achieve. I usually count
subsonic (mach 0.8) at 12 km as being worth about
670 m/s delta vee ideal, including equivalent losses.
At some point, of course, one should run a actual
trajectory for a specific concept. But I generally
assume about 9510 m/s for a typical, well-designed
rocket vehicle to something like the ISS orbit.

Thanks for the sanity check. I recognize that I am long on theory and
short on practical application.

Henry

You never know where good ideas may come from, and
tethers do have significant potential, IMO. I find
a lot of my own ideas that I initially get quite
excited about get less and less attractive with
analysis. Different concepts can emphasize different
potential benefits. Howevever, the total system
concept has to be consistent with respect to how
all the different components fit together.

Inconsistency with respect to components and analysis,
is the biggest fault I find with all airbreathing
acceleration concepts--the components do not all
fit together in one consistent design and, most
important, airbreathing acceleration fails when it
comes to realistic, objective trajectory and cost
analyses. Airbreathing cruise is another matter.

Best regards,
Len (Cormier)
PanAero, Inc.
(change x to len)
http://www.tour2space.com
Old March 5th 04, 10:58 AM
johnhare

"Len" wrote in message
om...

Inconsistency with respect to components and analysis,
is the biggest fault I find with all airbreathing
acceleration concepts--the components do not all
fit together in one consistent design and, most
important, airbreathing acceleration fails when it
comes to realistic, objective trajectory and cost
analyses. Airbreathing cruise is another matter.

What would you regard as minimum acceptable performance
for an airbreathing engine to make it not detract from a pure
rocket vehicles' performance? Assuming it would integrate into
the airframe with reasonable effort. Assuming Mach 0-1.4
operation only in boost and fly back. And cost performance
if you have a useful number handy.

Not the performance that would make it desirable, just not
a detractor. No interest in scam/ramjets from me.

Best regards,
Len (Cormier)
PanAero, Inc.
(change x to len)
http://www.tour2space.com

Old March 5th 04, 05:42 PM
Len

"johnhare" wrote in message . com...
"Len" wrote in message
om...

Inconsistency with respect to components and analysis,
is the biggest fault I find with all airbreathing
acceleration concepts--the components do not all
fit together in one consistent design and, most
important, airbreathing acceleration fails when it
comes to realistic, objective trajectory and cost
analyses. Airbreathing cruise is another matter.

What would you regard as minimum acceptable performance
for an airbreathing engine to make it not detract from a pure
rocket vehicles' performance? Assuming it would integrate into
the airframe with reasonable effort. Assuming Mach 0-1.4
operation only in boost and fly back. And cost performance
if you have a useful number handy.

Not the performance that would make it desirable, just not
a detractor. No interest in scam/ramjets from me.

John, I should have specified SSTO or a hypersonic
first stage. A subsonic first stage--or even a low
supersonic first stage--has much to offer with respect
to good operations, as well as good performance with
respect to getting to orbit. As you know, many of the
concepts that I have advocated are designed around
subsonic first stages, or, in the case of the rocket-
assisted F-14 and Tu-160 concepts, around first stages
capable of getting to about mach 2.

My main argument is for concepts that tout use of
airbreathing engines to accelerate to mach 5, mach 10,
mach 18, etc. I have found these concepts to be very
unrealistic from the system design point of view. Even
systems designed to cruise hypersonically seem to benefit
greatly from the use of rocket engines for the acceleration
portion of the flight.

Best regards,
Len (Cormier)
PanAero, Inc.