[Semi-OT] A new airstrip at Area 51

Old April 22nd 05, 09:37 PM
Pat Flannery

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

This would be a fun trash pile to dig through:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=davis-...ll=32.166145,-
110.840002&sll=32.221667,-
110.925833&spn=0.006030,0.010031&sspn=.106773,.11 1580&t=k&hl=en

This is one case where "Make A Shorter Link" is really handy...this
appears to be a outdoor museum of all the types of aircraft that they've
stored and scrapped, including a Guppy and B-58:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H64A141FA
Old April 23rd 05, 01:49 AM
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:

Are those U-2s in the middle?:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J2C9121FA

U-2s or TR-1s. Can't be anything else.

Scroll north from the there, and in the first 'lot' is what looks like
E-3's... But they are too small. What in 'ell are they? E2s?
(http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/e-2.htm)

Just north of those is what sure as hell looks like a gaggle of E-1's!
If it is, those puppies have been in the desert sun a LONG time.
(http://www.shanaberger.com/images/E-1.htm)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old April 23rd 05, 01:59 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Are those U-2s in the middle?:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J2C9121FA

No. Wings too short. (at least the ones I'm seeing.)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=davis-....823265&sll=32
..221667,-110.925833&spn=0.010461,0.011619&sspn=0.106773,0.1 11580&t=k&hl=en

For some broken planes. (I'm assuming done this way treaty compliance.)

Pat

Old April 23rd 05, 02:02 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

wrote in message
Herb Schaltegger writes:

Oh, and if anyone else scrolling around the area can provide a good
explanation of the circular bright green areas, I'd appreciate it. I
have a few suspicions but I'd like to hear everyones' thoughts.

Centre pivot irigation plot. I have NO idea what they would be growing
out there though.

A special blend of the finest cannibis.

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

Old April 23rd 05, 02:03 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Scott Hedrick wrote:

It's where the Alien RVs dumped their waste tanks.

Note that the green spots are *moving* very slightly...

Soylent Green is People!

Darn, and all this time I thought it was PURPLE!

Pat

Old April 23rd 05, 04:06 AM
Scott Hedrick

wrote in message
Herb Schaltegger writes:

Oh, and if anyone else scrolling around the area can provide a good
explanation of the circular bright green areas, I'd appreciate it. I
have a few suspicions but I'd like to hear everyones' thoughts.

Centre pivot irigation plot. I have NO idea what they would be growing
out there though.

A special blend of the finest cannibis.

Practically out of this world!

Old April 23rd 05, 07:33 AM
Pat Flannery

Derek Lyons wrote:

Scroll north from the there, and in the first 'lot' is what looks like
E-3's... But they are too small. What in 'ell are they? E2s?
(http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/e-2.htm)

Whatever they are, they look like they have multiple vertical tails- and
that narrows down the possibilities greatly.

Just north of those is what sure as hell looks like a gaggle of E-1's!
If it is, those puppies have been in the desert sun a LONG time.
(http://www.shanaberger.com/images/E-1.htm)

They sure look like them with the wings folded, don't they? And the
radome has the correct ovoid shape.

Pat
Old April 23rd 05, 07:39 AM
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

No. Wings too short. (at least the ones I'm seeing.)

I thought the wings looked a little short also; they might be some other
type of aircraft with the engine nacelles removed- I just can't figure
out which one. They seem to be mid or high wing and single vertical
tailed, but they don't look squat enough to be cargo planes. Neptunes
minus motors and tip tanks?

Pat