Website on NACA

Old March 10th 05, 06:05 AM
Pat Flannery

Default Website on NACA

rk wrote:

"The NASA History Division is pleased to unveil a new Web site devoted to the
90th anniversary of the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, the
predecessor organization to NASA.

If there ever was a government agency that gave the taxpayers their
money's worth, it was NACA.

Pat
Old March 12th 05, 03:00 AM
Pat Flannery

rk wrote:

If there ever was a government agency that gave the taxpayers their
money's worth, it was NACA.

As is the NASA History Division.

You mean Rusty?

Pat
Old March 12th 05, 04:17 AM
OM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:11:47 -0600, rk
wrote:

I think he's just an independent poster-of-fortune.

....Rusty, we hereby order you to add this to your .sig, as the
official HORS Poster-Of-Fortune :-)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 12th 05, 07:24 AM
Rusty

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:17:57 -0600, OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org

wrote:

I think he's just an independent poster-of-fortune.

...Rusty, we hereby order you to add this to your .sig, as the
official HORS Poster-Of-Fortune :-)

OM

Okay, here are some historical and obscure NACA and NASA PDF's.

Historical development of the windmill - 1990
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1991012312.pdf

Wind Turbine Structural Dynamics - 1978
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1978011673.pdf

The Stealth biplane - 1990
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1990015811.pdf

The stretching of the fabric and the deformation of the envelope in
nonrigid balloons - 1918
http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/19...-report-16.pdf

Feasibility study of modern airships, phase 1. Volume 3: Historical
overview - 1975
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1975023961.pdf

Pressure distribution on the C-7 airship - 1926
http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/19...report-223.pdf

Characteristics of a single float seaplane during take-off - 1925
http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/19...report-209.pdf

The kiln drying of wood for airplanes - 1920
http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/19...-report-65.pdf

Rusty

HORS Poster-de-fortune (PDF)

Old March 12th 05, 10:30 AM
OM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:24:23 -0800, Rusty
wrote:

The Stealth biplane - 1990
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1990015811.pdf

....Man, it's planes like this that take the honor out of military
flight. Von Richtofen and Von Hammer must be turning over in their
graves :-)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 12th 05, 06:35 PM
Derek Lyons

wrote:

The Stealth biplane - 1990
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1990015811.pdf

...Man, it's planes like this that take the honor out of military
flight. Von Richtofen and Von Hammer must be turning over in their
graves :-)

Nah. The 'stealth' moniker was applied only to sex-up the project,
stealth was not an actual consideration in the design. (And it's a
student engineering project to boot, not a 'real design'.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old March 23rd 05, 04:41 PM
Mary Shafer

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:05:53 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

If there ever was a government agency that gave the taxpayers their
money's worth, it was NACA.

It's "the NACA" and the letters are pronounced separately, not as a
word. It's an initialism, not an acronym.

Mary

Old March 23rd 05, 06:51 PM
Pat Flannery

Mary Shafer wrote:

It's "the NACA" and the letters are pronounced separately, not as a
word. It's an initialism, not an acronym.

Okay...I knew about the pronunciation part.
BTW, it's "The Pat", and it's pronounced "Great, Mighty, All-Powerful
And Sovereign Emperor Of All The Kingdoms Of Planet Mongo". :-)

Pat The Merciless
Old March 23rd 05, 09:26 PM
Reunite Gondwanaland

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:51:27 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Mary Shafer wrote:

It's "the NACA" and the letters are pronounced separately, not as a
word. It's an initialism, not an acronym.

Okay...I knew about the pronunciation part.
BTW, it's "The Pat", and it's pronounced "Great, Mighty, All-Powerful
And Sovereign Emperor Of All The Kingdoms Of Planet Mongo". :-)

Good luck, fella. Somehow this reminds me of The Donald, who hasn't
exactly been a roaring success.

Mary, Goddess of Usenet

Old March 24th 05, 05:11 AM
OM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:41:07 -0800, Mary Shafer
wrote:

It's "the NACA" and the letters are pronounced separately, not as a
word. It's an initialism, not an acronym.

....Tell that to the elitistly inbred yokels around Langley, who for
decades called them the "Nakka Nuts", as well as quite a number of Air
Farce personnel, who according to my Pop referred to it as "Nakka"
during the Korean Police Action. At least, insofar as his enlisted
exposure to the term was concerned.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr