[PING] Any of our sci.space.* colleagues out in Florida Ground Zero

Old September 6th 04, 09:23 PM
OM

Default [PING] Any of our sci.space.* colleagues out in Florida Ground Zero

....Those out there in Florida in the middle of that mess, please let
us know your status if possible.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old September 7th 04, 12:32 AM
redneckj

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
...Those out there in Florida in the middle of that mess, please let
us know your status if possible.

About 15 miles north of the path intersection of hurricanes Charlie
and Francis. Winter Haven FL. Damage fairly light this time.
100 miles from the cape, so nothing for you there.
Mainly it has been damn inconvenient with two and a half days of
rain, gas lines and such.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr

Old September 7th 04, 12:37 AM
Steve Wachowski

Long time since I've posted. We made it through with no major problems.
Thanks,

Steve Wachowski

Old September 7th 04, 02:05 AM
Scott Hedrick

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
...Those out there in Florida in the middle of that mess, please let
us know your status if possible.

My poor wussy wife, city girl that she is, panicked when the power went down
for 9 hours. No A/C, and god forbid we actually have to deal with the
children instead of numbing them with the TV.

I thought it was great. Most of a day without all those namby-pamby "modern
conveniences".

I had a chance to read three Peter David novels- part of his "Psi-Man"
series.

Of course, when the power came back on, she started singing and dancing. Now
her cordless phone works.

We ought to have a mandatory power-out day once a year. Wimps.

Old September 7th 04, 02:48 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message
. ..

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org

wrote
in message ...
...Those out there in Florida in the middle of that mess, please let
us know your status if possible.

My poor wussy wife, city girl that she is, panicked when the power went

down
for 9 hours. No A/C, and god forbid we actually have to deal with the
children instead of numbing them with the TV.

You're lucky it was only 9 hours.

As of last night my MiL had been w/o power for 30 hours and as far as I know
still doesn't have any.

Old September 7th 04, 03:02 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
You're lucky it was only 9 hours.

Yeah, any longer than that without videos to soothe the savage rugrats and
she might have abandoned us.

I had access to a portable welder, which doubles as a generator. If the
outage had continued much longer, I'd have cranked it up, mostly to operate
the fridge. Otherwise, I thought it was good to be without for a while.;

If I'd had the DTs from withdrawal, I suppose I could have cranked up the
fully-charged laptop We had plenty of water and canned goods, and a
charcoal grill. If things got desperate, there's always the cat

Only serious problem we have at the moment is that there's no school
tomorrow, so I get to deal with the rugrats solo. Also, no gas. The tanks at
all the stores around us that were open were drained before we got there.
Fortunately, got plenty of vehicles around to siphon from if needed.

Of course, as soon as the power came back on, we all took nice showers

Old September 7th 04, 08:26 AM
Derek Lyons

"Scott Hedrick" wrote:

My poor wussy wife, city girl that she is, panicked when the power went down
for 9 hours. No A/C, and god forbid we actually have to deal with the
children instead of numbing them with the TV.

LOL. And I just spent the weekend *voluntarily without power*.

As the fellow camped next to me said "sometimes getting out of town
for the weekend isn't enough, you have to get out of the century".
http://www.dragonslaire.org/Septembe...rcrown2004.htm

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old September 7th 04, 01:12 PM
David Sander

Derek Lyons wrote:

"Scott Hedrick" wrote:

My poor wussy wife, city girl that she is, panicked when the power went down
for 9 hours. No A/C, and god forbid we actually have to deal with the
children instead of numbing them with the TV.

LOL. And I just spent the weekend *voluntarily without power*.

LOL ... me too.

As the fellow camped next to me said "sometimes getting out of town
for the weekend isn't enough, you have to get out of the century".
http://www.dragonslaire.org/Septembe...rcrown2004.htm

Oh, lordy.

I'm a member of The Huscarls Dark Age re-enactment group (Huscarls were
'knights' before there were knights, in pre-Norman invasion England -
our era is from 9th to 11th centuries). I think it's quite fair to say
it helps enormously in venting frustrations when you get kitted up in a
spangenhelm, maille hauberk, circular shield and fighting seax, and then
smashing twelve shades of snot out of your best mates with a bloody
great sword.

Our group is fastidious about a) authenticity; b) accuracy in every part
of our kit; and c) total immersion (with the possible exception of
language - we're not up to conversing in Old English yet, though I
personally know enough to get by, and other members often pepper their
modern English with some Old English words and phrases). Non authentic
things are treated mercilessly with derision, scorn, and occasionally a
big stick. We try and cover everything too - not just fighting. The
other week I was involved in bronze casting, all done with the tools
from the era. Lots of work, but thoroughly satisfying. Everything from
food and clothing to fighting kit and footwear is covered.

"Wait a minute!", I hear you cry - this is the guy who's making a film
about an alternative history Space Age, and sometimes he goes off to
spend time in the Dark Ages???

Damn straight - it provides a) a break; b) amazing perspective; and c)
an unrivalled opportunity to smash twelve shades of snot out of my best
mates with a bloody great sword *and get away with it*. If it's any
consolation, there are times where I get the snot bashed out of me - so
it all balances out in the end ;-)

I might even make a film out of it one day - after MCS is done. And YES!
.... it's still going!

David
--
per aspera ad astra
Old September 7th 04, 01:21 PM
Alan Erskine

"David Sander" wrote in message
I think it's quite fair to say
it helps enormously in venting frustrations when you get kitted up in a
spangenhelm, maille hauberk, circular shield and fighting seax, and then
smashing twelve shades of snot out of your best mates with a bloody
great sword.

I'm remembering this bit!

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old September 7th 04, 06:34 PM
Derek Lyons

Dale wrote:

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 07:26:12 GMT, (Derek Lyons) wrote:

As the fellow camped next to me said "sometimes getting out of town
for the weekend isn't enough, you have to get out of the century".
http://www.dragonslaire.org/Septembe...rcrown2004.htm

Do you participate in this? Do you throw stuff, or shoot it?

Actually I spent the bulk of the weekend tending fire for the Culinary
Guild. (I can't fight, but there are other things a' plenty to do.)

Though I did get to watch the final rounds of the Tournament and
squeeze into an informal symposium with Mistress Gwen the Potter on
medieval pottery. (The Guild has been cooking a lot recently with her
reproduction pieces, and I wanted to discuss some of the finer points
with her, I've become quite interested in the topic.)

Obligitory question- you live in the Bremerton (never noticed the German
angle to that name until I saw it just now) area, right? So, which century
are you trying to get out of?

Sorry-snotty dig, Derek

Heh. If you knew our city fathers, you'd wonder what century they
were in as well.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.