Constructing a mount for an old 279mm Schmidt-Cassegrain lens....

Old February 18th 04, 04:16 PM
Nash Aragam

Default Constructing a mount for an old 279mm Schmidt-Cassegrain lens....

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a new mechanical structure to re-purpose an old
11" (279mm) Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope lens (just the lens ONLY, no
eye-piece, no mounts) for use as a long range surveillance camera for
a research project sponsored by the Navy. What I am looking for are
some ideas and/or pointers for a suitable mechanical design to mount
the lens (since the app is NOT for astronomy, it really doesn't matter
whether the mount is equatorial or dobsonian or whatever else, I
believe!) so that I can do a PTZ (Pan, Tilt and Zoom). Secondly,
instead of a regular astronomical eye-piece, I intend to provide an
universal sleeve or T-to-F adapter that would enable me to attach a
wide variety of CCD cameras to experiment long range imaging. Once
again the camera need not be optical per se!

The first step right now is the mechanical piece I need to mount this
huge lens for PTZ control (either manual or computer-controlled) and
I'm looking for any pointers to start with. There must be amateur
astronomers out there building backyard telescopes who can guide me in
starting this project.

Please send all your replies directly to me at . I
thank you all in advance.

Best Regards,

Nash
Old February 19th 04, 02:08 AM
DJ

Hi Nash,

I PM'd you. Thinking an original Celestron C11 sandcast fork mount
used on astromart or Teletrade. Economical, plug and play and solid.
I own an original orange tube Celestron C11 setup and am extremely
happy with it.

--DJ