End of World "Possible"

Old December 19th 12, 11:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default End of World "Possible"

Not that I'm taking it seriously, but...

Given that a Piktun consists of 20 Baktuns, not 13 Baktuns, it is not
correct to say that because the world probably didn't end on September
5, 3114 B.C., that it isn't going to end on December 21, 2012.

Instead, we need to go back 20 Baktuns to the start of Baktun 13 in
the previous cycle of 20, not the beginning of the current cycle of
20, to find the previous end of the world.

That would have been December 4, 5874 B.C. - and that is closer to
being before the dawn of civilization, so that the world could have
experienced some sort of global cataclysm without anything being
written about it.

John Savard
Old December 20th 12, 12:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Linus Das

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 23:42 UTC, Quadibloc wrote:

Not that I'm taking it seriously, but...

Given that a Piktun consists of 20 Baktuns, not 13 Baktuns, it is not
correct to say that because the world probably didn't end on September
5, 3114 B.C., that it isn't going to end on December 21, 2012.

I collected my new hybrid car on Monday; together hybrid owners can
battle the forces of diesel. Not that I'm taking it seriously, but...

Instead, we need to go back 20 Baktuns to the start of Baktun 13 in
the previous cycle of 20, not the beginning of the current cycle of
20, to find the previous end of the world.

That would have been December 4, 5874 B.C. - and that is closer to
being before the dawn of civilization, so that the world could have
experienced some sort of global cataclysm without anything being
written about it.

The MIBs erased their memory, of course.
Old December 20th 12, 01:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_5_]

"Quadibloc" wrote in message

Not that I'm taking it seriously, but...

Given that a Piktun consists of 20 Baktuns, not 13 Baktuns, it is not
correct to say that because the world probably didn't end on September
5, 3114 B.C., that it isn't going to end on December 21, 2012.

Instead, we need to go back 20 Baktuns to the start of Baktun 13 in
the previous cycle of 20, not the beginning of the current cycle of
20, to find the previous end of the world.

That would have been December 4, 5874 B.C. - and that is closer to
being before the dawn of civilization, so that the world could have
experienced some sort of global cataclysm without anything being
written about it.

John Savard
Not that I'm taking you seriously, but...
Civilisation merely means city-dwelling, and that only happened when
farming began. Without farming hunter-gatherers were nomads. Without
cities there is no controlled fire, without controlled fire no pottery, the
North
American aboriginal had no earthenware pots, he had baskets. But pot
shards date to 40,000 BCE in South and Central America. The world ended
with the onset of the first ice sheet and started again 11,000 years ago.

-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway.
When I get my O.B.E. I'll be an earlobe.

Old December 20th 12, 02:52 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Quadibloc:
That would have been December 4, 5874 B.C. - and that is closer to
being before the dawn of civilization, so that the world could have
experienced some sort of global cataclysm without anything being
written about it.

If it was that recent, and it was global, we would know about it. We
know about the global cataclysm of the Chicxulub event of 65MYBP and
the smaller, more localized, Chesapeake Bay impact of 35MYBP
(so-called, even though the Chesapeake Bay did not exist at that time).

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old December 20th 12, 04:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Incidentally, I found a post this morning about the Winter Solstice in
the year 7212 A. D., by Gerard Kelleher, noting that 5200 years in the
future about equals 5200 years into the past, when the foundations of
astronomy were laid - and the eternal verities of the Earth's orbital
motions would stay the same.

But the post appears to have disappeared.

John Savard
Old December 20th 12, 05:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Quadibloc:
Incidentally, I found a post this morning about the Winter Solstice in
the year 7212 A. D., by Gerard Kelleher, noting that 5200 years in the
future about equals 5200 years into the past, when the foundations of
astronomy were laid - and the eternal verities of the Earth's orbital
motions would stay the same.

But the post appears to have disappeared.

That's because it was on a server in NZ, which has already been
destroyed. Ah, well, it's near 13:00 EST, so I've got 11 hours yet.
Time for some pre-Apocalypse reading, maybe a nap, and some dinner.
Also catch up with the TiVo before it's too late.

Old December 20th 12, 06:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 12/19/12 5:42 PM, Quadibloc wrote:
Not that I'm taking it seriously, but...

Given that a Piktun consists of 20 Baktuns, not 13 Baktuns, it is not
correct to say that because the world probably didn't end on September
5, 3114 B.C., that it isn't going to end on December 21, 2012.

Instead, we need to go back 20 Baktuns to the start of Baktun 13 in
the previous cycle of 20, not the beginning of the current cycle of
20, to find the previous end of the world.

That would have been December 4, 5874 B.C. - and that is closer to
being before the dawn of civilization, so that the world could have
experienced some sort of global cataclysm without anything being
written about it.

John Savard

Most treat the Armageddon scenarios as somewhat silly, but with
unchecked climate change we might experience the human version of
the Permian-Triassic mass extinction event! That is realistic.

-Sam
http://edu-observatory.org/olli/Climate/index.html

Old December 20th 12, 08:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_2_]

"Davoud" wrote

Time for some pre-Apocalypse reading, maybe a nap, and some dinner.
Also catch up with the TiVo before it's too late.

I suggest we all get together for an apocalypso dance before the dump blows
up. I'll call Harry Belafonte now....

Old December 21st 12, 04:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Dec 20, 11:03*am, Sam Wormley wrote:

* *Most treat the Armageddon scenarios as somewhat silly, but with
* *unchecked climate change we might experience the human version of
* *the Permian-Triassic mass extinction event! That is realistic.

Oh, it's certainly true enough that sometime in the next 52 years, we
could indeed have a disaster if we don't mend our ways. But there will
be a reason for what happens, a causal chain. The Mayan calendar will
have nothing to do with it, so that's a distraction from what we
should be trying to change.

John Savard
Old December 21st 12, 03:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Oh, wait a moment.

If the last time the world ended was on December 4, 5874 B.C., why is
the Calendar Round starting on 4 Ahau 8 Cumhu, instead of 11 Ahau 3
Ceh?

But there are 20 Baktuns in a Pictun.

Oh, of course. If the world ends on December 21, 2012, then it's going
to take until October 14, 4772 A.D. to rebuild civilization from the
ashes, and start using the Mayan calendar again, now starting the
Calendar Round on 10 Ahau 13 Yaxkin... *not* 4 Ahau 3 Yax.

And it only took until the end of the world for me to figure this
out...

John Savard