[Semi-OT] A new airstrip at Area 51

Old April 23rd 05, 06:41 PM
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:

Derek Lyons wrote:

Scroll north from the there, and in the first 'lot' is what looks like
E-3's... But they are too small. What in 'ell are they? E2s?
(http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/e-2.htm)

Whatever they are, they look like they have multiple vertical tails- and
that narrows down the possibilities greatly.

Just north of those is what sure as hell looks like a gaggle of E-1's!
If it is, those puppies have been in the desert sun a LONG time.
(http://www.shanaberger.com/images/E-1.htm)

They sure look like them with the wings folded, don't they? And the
radome has the correct ovoid shape.

Terraserver has much more detailed images:
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...ct ucson%7caz
shows the 'U2s' at the southern edge of the image. They may be RB58s.

Scrolling north shows more U2s or RB58s along with the 'E2s' and what
are almost certainly E1 radomes. Scrolling firther north confirms
that 'gaggle' is indeed E1s.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old April 23rd 05, 06:47 PM
Derek Lyons

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=davis-....823265&sll=32
.221667,-110.925833&spn=0.010461,0.011619&sspn=0.106773,0.1 11580&t=k&hl=en

For some broken planes. (I'm assuming done this way treaty compliance.)

Yes, they are broken up and left to sit for a short while so the
Russians can verify (via 'national technical means' - I.E. recon sats)
the number of aircraft that have been destroyed.

D.

Old April 23rd 05, 06:48 PM
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:

I thought the wings looked a little short also; they might be some other
type of aircraft with the engine nacelles removed- I just can't figure
out which one. They seem to be mid or high wing and single vertical
tailed, but they don't look squat enough to be cargo planes. Neptunes
minus motors and tip tanks?

There's quite a concentration of Naval aircraft there... which
increases the probability score of this thesis.

D.

Old April 23rd 05, 11:40 PM
Peter Stickney

(Derek Lyons) writes:

(
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/e-2.htm)

Whatever they are, they look like they have multiple vertical tails- and
that narrows down the possibilities greatly.

Just north of those is what sure as hell looks like a gaggle of E-1's!
If it is, those puppies have been in the desert sun a LONG time.
(http://www.shanaberger.com/images/E-1.htm)

They sure look like them with the wings folded, don't they? And the
radome has the correct ovoid shape.

Terraserver has much more detailed images:
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...ct ucson%7caz
shows the 'U2s' at the southern edge of the image. They may be RB58s.

Scrolling north shows more U2s or RB58s along with the 'E2s' and what
are almost certainly E1 radomes. Scrolling firther north confirms
that 'gaggle' is indeed E1s.

Thaks for that - much better.
Presuming you're all talking about the untidy rectangular area in the
bottom part of the image, here's what I get.

We can divide teh compount into 2 basic sections - upper and lower.
For the upper section, from left to right, I ID them as:
3 P-2 Neptunes, an Navy H-3 (Sea King) helicopter, a C-130, a C-7
Caribou, 2 C-118s (DC-6), a bunch more Caribous in various stages of
wreckitude, various Beech L-23/U-8 types a probable former U.S. Coast
Guard C-123 (They had a distintive radome of their 123s, the shadow
shows that profile) Another C-130, and the building.

The lower tier looks like this:
5 C-118s along the back fence, an HU-16B Albatross ambib just above
them, 3 HH-3F Pelican helicopters, a C-130, 2 Navy H-3s, a T-43
(Boeing 737), another Beech, then, in the mish-mosh, upper layer forst
- 4 or 5 S-2 Trackers, teh wings & nose of a C-124, and a very intact
looking Lockheed L-188 (Either a P-3 Orion of an Electra) Belos all
that, are 8 Hu-16Bs in various stages of disassempbly. 3 of 'em are
parked diagonally with the engine nacelles removed. (There's a
distinctive kink in the wing plan view of an HU-16B. It's really
pretty graceful with the engines off it, and it does look kinda
U-2ish. The another C-130, with a P-3 below it, a Caribou with
yellow wings, and a C-131/T-29/COnvair 240/340 in the bottom right
corner.

A neat picture, and a challenge. Thanks.

--
Pete Stickney

Without data, all you have are opinions
Old April 24th 05, 08:38 AM
Pat Flannery

Scott Hedrick wrote:

A special blend of the finest cannibis.

Practically out of this world!

"Is this Lard Ass?"
"Codename Hard Hat- Hard Hat! Do you know who you are speaking to?"
"No...do you know who you are speaking to?"
"No..."
"Adios, Lard Ass..."
Still one of the best lines in cinema :-D .

Pat

Old May 19th 05, 09:55 PM
Scott Hedrick

So...why are we storing these planes? Why aren't we selling them or
recycling them?