1st Surface Image Released

Old January 15th 05, 04:22 AM
Tom McDonald

Brian Tung wrote:
Mike Reed wrote:

Them rocks are ROUND!
http://img125.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...surface5tg.jpg

On the left, we seem to see half of a former pool that's drained away,
leaving a set of concentric "bathtub" rings. Is that real?

Brian,

I have trouble seeing what you mean in the normal-size image.
When I zoom 200%, I think I can see what you mean; but I also
see what looks like a lot of image artifacts. I think I need to
see what the pros can do with image enhancement.

--
Tom McDonald
http://ahwhatdoiknow.blogspot.com/
Old January 15th 05, 06:06 AM
Brian Tung

Tom McDonald wrote:
I have trouble seeing what you mean in the normal-size image.
When I zoom 200%, I think I can see what you mean; but I also
see what looks like a lot of image artifacts.

Yup, that's why I asked.

I think I need to see what the pros can do with image enhancement.

That will be interesting!

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old January 15th 05, 06:23 AM
RichA

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:21:53 GMT, "David Nakamoto"
wrote:

Good point. At these temperatures, 250F below or 100C below or so, water
acts like a rock. No liquid water here. They may be silicate rocks or
something similar, but the rest of the moons of Saturn are ice covered if
not made up mostly of ice, so it's not unreasonable to think the surface of
Titan is predominately ices of some sort. The preliminary view of the
imaging team is that they might be ice blocks.

Anyone remember reading a scifi (can't remember the name, maybe
"Triton") where they used the ice as a building material because
it was so solid, on Triton?
-Rich
Old January 15th 05, 07:56 AM
muldar

bnice

"Peter [astro.mp]" wrote:

On the left, did you say? Here's a clearer version:
http://abnormalbrain.bizland.com/050114huygens1B.jpg

(from a humorous fark.com thread on the probe)

Here's a couple mo
http://home20.inet.tele.dk/appledane/cbdevl.jpg
http://www.sawyerhome.net/landing03_L2b-small.jpeg

Old January 15th 05, 08:55 PM

On 2005-01-14, Manuel Joseph Din wrote:
RichA wrote:
On 14 Jan 2005 13:06:47 -0800, "Mike Reed" wrote:

Them rocks are ROUND!
http://img125.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...surface5tg.jpg

Looks like Titan is a wind-blasted hellhole like Mars.
The rocks have been scoured and worn away.

How can you be so sure they're rocks?

Keep an open mind.

You think maybe they're eggs?

--