Comet Tails ?????

Old December 10th 17, 08:15 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier

Default Comet Tails ?????

Most have one tail.Some have two,and some no tail at all.Some tails are a million miles long(WOW) What are these tails made off? I think dust??? Some say water.Is the sun not only reflecting light of these dusty tails,but also creating them? Photons from sun do effect the direction of tails when comet swings around the sun. Is it possible comets leaving the Oort cloud have no tails,and tails come to be when comet enters the solar system? I saw Halley comet when I was 5 or 6 Many moons ago.Treb&bert
Old December 10th 17, 09:44 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hägar

"Herbert Glazier" wrote in message

Most have one tail.Some have two,and some no tail at all.Some tails are a
million miles long(WOW) What are these tails made off? I think dust??? Some
say water.Is the sun not only reflecting light of these dusty tails,but also
creating them? Photons from sun do effect the direction of tails when comet
swings around the sun. Is it possible comets leaving the Oort cloud have no
tails,and tails come to be when comet enters the solar system? I saw Halley
comet when I was 5 or 6 Many moons ago.Treb&bert

*** you are one clueless dummy, treBert. By the time comets are
visible to the naked eye, they have two tails.
One trails in the direction of travel and the other is blown in the
direction of the Solar Wind, pointing away from the Sun.
Sunlight heats the comet's ice and when it vaporizes into steam
it carries dust particles with it, which then form both tails.
Still waiting for your call from Oslo ...

Old December 10th 17, 10:11 PM posted to alt.astronomy
hanson

in http://tinyurl.com/Bert-s-Selfintroductn-Oct2017
http://tinyurl.com/Glazier-the-loud-retarded-pig wrote:
"My Grandfathers had tails". -- Trebert
"Most have one tail.Some have two,(WOW)
"Being Jewish I know this is so very true" -- Bert.

Old December 10th 17, 10:43 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 2:44:21 PM UTC-6, Hägar wrote:
[...]

Solar heat cannot be vaporizing comets or comets would quickly not be there any more. We need to all take a trip to a comet some day to find out what the tail is made of. Don't think you know before you find out!
Old December 11th 17, 01:36 AM posted to alt.astronomy
palsing[_2_]

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 12:44:21 PM UTC-8, Hägar wrote:

*** you are one clueless dummy, treBert. By the time comets are
visible to the naked eye, they have two tails.
One trails in the direction of travel and the other is blown in the
direction of the Solar Wind, pointing away from the Sun.

Not exactly correct. 2 tails, yes, but neither one trails in the direction of travel, unless I am not understanding what you mean by this. Both tails point away from the Sun, but the dust trail curves and the gas (ion) tail does not...

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/...tary+Dust+Tail

http://hubblesite.org/reference_desk...at=solarsystem
Old December 11th 17, 02:06 AM posted to alt.astronomy
palsing[_2_]

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 1:43:22 PM UTC-8, Mark Earnest wrote:

Solar heat cannot be vaporizing comets or comets would quickly not be there any more. We need to all take a trip to a comet some day to find out what the tail is made of. Don't think you know before you find out!

Well, you are just a little behind the times, because we DID travel to a comet, several times, in fact, and found out a lot about what they AND their tails are made of...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Impact_(spacecraft)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_(spacecraft)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(spacecraft)

Old December 11th 17, 10:51 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Hägar

"palsing" wrote in message

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 12:44:21 PM UTC-8, Hägar wrote:

*** you are one clueless dummy, treBert. By the time comets are
visible to the naked eye, they have two tails.
One trails in the direction of travel and the other is blown in the
direction of the Solar Wind, pointing away from the Sun.

Not exactly correct. 2 tails, yes, but neither one trails in the direction
of travel, unless I am not understanding what you mean by this. Both tails
point away from the Sun, but the dust trail curves and the gas (ion) tail
does not...

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/...tary+Dust+Tail

http://hubblesite.org/reference_desk...at=solarsystem

*** my apology ... this was treBert asking the question and I tried
to make the answer as simple as possible. It appears, he's never
heard of Google ...

Old December 11th 17, 04:34 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 7:06:24 PM UTC-6, palsing wrote:
On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 1:43:22 PM UTC-8, Mark Earnest wrote:

Solar heat cannot be vaporizing comets or comets would quickly not be there any more. We need to all take a trip to a comet some day to find out what the tail is made of. Don't think you know before you find out!

Well, you are just a little behind the times, because we DID travel to a comet, several times, in fact, and found out a lot about what they AND their tails are made of...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Impact_(spacecraft)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_(spacecraft)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(spacecraft)

I heard that we tried to land on the comet but were not able to do it. If comets are snowballs they are still going to melt into non-existence when they round the Sun. So comet tails cannot be vapor and dirt.

Old December 11th 17, 05:10 PM posted to alt.astronomy
palsing[_2_]

I heard that we tried to land on the comet but were not able to do it. If comets are snowballs they are still going to melt into non-existence when they round the Sun. So comet tails cannot be vapor and dirt.

You "heard"? Did you read the links? We absolutely landed on a comet! Comets are not literally snowballs. You never "heard" of Google?

Old December 11th 17, 05:34 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Bast[_2_]

palsing wrote:
I heard that we tried to land on the comet but were not able to do it.
If comets are snowballs they are still going to melt into
non-existence when they round the Sun. So comet tails cannot be vapor
and dirt.

You "heard"? Did you read the links? We absolutely landed on a comet!
Comets are not literally snowballs. You never "heard" of Google?

The only thing I hold less credibility with than NASA, is Google.
Especially as both now seem to be using the same hokey computer generated
space photos. And backing each others lies up.