Concept of Gravity

Old October 24th 06, 09:59 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar
west

Default Concept of Gravity

I use to think that heavenly bodies were like magnets that attract each
other. That was my concept of gravity. Now I realize that gravity is more of
a space-time continuum. Problem is that I barely grasp this concept and was
wondering if there was an illustration somewhere that would help? Perhaps
this can be found in a text book or online? Homer Simpson's skit was great
but I need something more serious and comprehensive. All comments are
appreciated. Thanks.

west

Old October 25th 06, 01:42 AM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar
Mark Earnest

"west" wrote in message
I use to think that heavenly bodies were like magnets that attract each
other. That was my concept of gravity. Now I realize that gravity is more
of
a space-time continuum. Problem is that I barely grasp this concept and
was
wondering if there was an illustration somewhere that would help? Perhaps
this can be found in a text book or online? Homer Simpson's skit was great
but I need something more serious and comprehensive. All comments are
appreciated. Thanks.

Gravity is an amazing thing. It proves why we can break the so called speed
of light.

That is because gravity is a force of constant acceleration....proving that
constant acceleration exists in the universe...including among interstellar
spacecraft!

Old October 25th 06, 08:30 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar
Hagar[_1_]

"west" wrote in message
I use to think that heavenly bodies were like magnets that attract each
other. That was my concept of gravity. Now I realize that gravity is more
of
a space-time continuum. Problem is that I barely grasp this concept and
was
wondering if there was an illustration somewhere that would help? Perhaps
this can be found in a text book or online? Homer Simpson's skit was great
but I need something more serious and comprehensive. All comments are
appreciated. Thanks.

That last comment opened up Pandora's box ... just wait until BeeertBrain
chimes in with the explanation to any and all questions you ever had and may
have on any subject under the sun. He is a veritable outhouse of
misinformation.

Old October 25th 06, 08:32 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar
Hagar[_1_]

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message

"west" wrote in message
I use to think that heavenly bodies were like magnets that attract each
other. That was my concept of gravity. Now I realize that gravity is more
of
a space-time continuum. Problem is that I barely grasp this concept and
was
wondering if there was an illustration somewhere that would help? Perhaps
this can be found in a text book or online? Homer Simpson's skit was
great
but I need something more serious and comprehensive. All comments are
appreciated. Thanks.

Gravity is an amazing thing. It proves why we can break the so called
speed of light.

That is because gravity is a force of constant acceleration....proving
that constant acceleration exists in the universe...including among
interstellar spacecraft!

OK, I'm impressed. You just regaled Einstein's E=MC2 to the dustbin. By
all means DO explain to us mortal dummies how you manage to exceed the SOL.

Old October 25th 06, 09:04 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar
Double-A[_1_]

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/einstein/

Old October 25th 06, 10:11 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar
Double-A[_1_]

Twittering One wrote:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/einstein/

AA,
Have you read this article, is it worth reading?
Illuminating, or a time drainer?

I read it awhile back. John Baez knows what he is talking about and is
a respected scientist, as well as a poster to the physics groups. But
these are advanced concepts so you have to really want to learn some
physics.

Double-A

Old October 25th 06, 10:30 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar
Mark Earnest

"west" wrote in message
[...]

O.K. Now listen carefully, because I have only explained it ten million
times
to very blind scientists...

If gravity is a force of constant acceleration, then the planets are all
constantly accelerating around the Sun.

This proves that if a certain bodies is accelerated fast enough, it will
continue to accelerate.

We know UFOs are here, so our speed of light must be way off...the speed of
light must be well over 186,000 miles per second. What we are measuring
when we seem to be measuring the speed of light is the velocity of light's
exterior.

Light, as with a comet, travels faster at its interior, while its exterior
drifts behind it.

All that considered, it is possible to reach the nearest stars, with modern
technology, in about thirty days.

Old October 25th 06, 10:42 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar
Hagar[_1_]

"west" wrote in message
[...]

I'll wait with being impressed until I see you taking your bow right after
receiving the Nobel Prize for physics. I won't hold my breath, however.

Old October 27th 06, 05:20 AM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar
Alexm

west wrote:
I use to think that heavenly bodies were like magnets that attract each
other. That was my concept of gravity. Now I realize that gravity is more of
a space-time continuum. Problem is that I barely grasp this concept and was
wondering if there was an illustration somewhere that would help? Perhaps
this can be found in a text book or online? Homer Simpson's skit was great
but I need something more serious and comprehensive. All comments are
appreciated. Thanks.

west

May I suggest the book:

A Journey Into Gravity and Spacetime, by John Archibald Wheeler,
ISBN 0-7167-5016-3

Alex

Old October 29th 06, 03:52 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar
Painius[_1_] Painius[_1_] is offline
Banned

"Mark Earnest" wrote...
in message ...

"west" wrote in message

[...]

What about "saturation", Mark?

For example, if current is increased through an
electromagnet coil, the magnetic field aroung the
coil also increases in intensity. But then you reach
a point when an increase of current will no longer
cause an increase of the magnetic field. At this
point, the electromagnet is said to be "saturated".

Saturation seems to be a natural state of affairs in
the Universe. Perhaps gravity's acceleration can
only accelerate anything up to a point where the
speed can no longer be increased and is therefore
"saturated"? Perhaps this saturation speed just
happens to be "c"? (the speed of light in a vacuum)

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Indelibly yours,