Meteor over the M4

Old January 17th 05, 11:21 AM
Barns

Default Meteor over the M4

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone else saw the bright meteor yesterday evening? I
was driving west along the M4, just past the Membury services at 17:28
(I looked at the car clock when it happened). There was a bright dot
lengthening to a long bright streak and terminating with a sudden
brightening before disappearing. It was heading roughly west in the
sky, and started about oh I guess 40 degrees straight "up" above me
(about as high up as I could see through the windscreen). It lasted
perhaps 2s although these things are hard to judge when you're
driving!

Anyway, I thought it was pretty spectacular to appear so bright
despite it still being lightish in the sky.

Cheers

Barnaby
Old January 17th 05, 11:18 PM
Ken Dale

Hello Barnaby,

My wife, standing at the kitchen door whilst I was admiring the first
quarter moon through my telescope, claimed that she saw something very, very
similar. Direction was maybe a little N of W. She said that it moved
'vertically' downwards before disappearing and reckoned it much brighter
than any star / planet. As you say the sky was still fairly bright in that
direction.

Needless to say I didn't believe her! She's pleased to be proved correct (as
usual).

Ken

PS Kitchen is in Longwell Green on E side of Bristol so quite a long way
west of you

om...

Old January 18th 05, 10:44 AM

Funnily enough, I was heading for Emersons Green, also on the E side of
Bristol!

I'm glad I wasn't hallucinating either (although my wife saw it at the
same time from the passengers seat so I did have instant confirmation
at the time). I would agree with your wife's description of the event.

Cheers

Barnaby

Old January 18th 05, 02:38 PM
Tony Pottrell

I'm based in Lawrence Weston in Bristol and saw something similar too - I
thought it was an iridium flare at first but it was moving too fast....

You wouldn't be the Barnaby who's registered on UKAstroimaging.co.uk would
you? I only note it because you're the only other Bristolian registered
there

Tony

oups.com...

Old January 22nd 05, 11:17 AM
Andy

Hi,

I'm sorry, I missed the start of this thread. What was the exact time/date
of this meteor please?

Many thanks,
Andy Smith
G7IZU Radio Reflection Detection Page
http://tinyurl.com/w6pv

oups.com...

Old January 23rd 05, 04:05 PM
David Entwistle

In article , Andy
writes
Hi,

I'm sorry, I missed the start of this thread. What was the exact time/date
of this meteor please?

Hi Andy,

Barnaby's original post suggests 17:28 UT on Sunday, 15th January from
M4 just west of Membury services.
--
David Entwistle
Old January 23rd 05, 08:08 PM
Andy

"David Entwistle" wrote in message
In article , Andy
writes
Hi,

I'm sorry, I missed the start of this thread. What was the exact

time/date
of this meteor please?

Hi Andy,

Barnaby's original post suggests 17:28 UT on Sunday, 15th January from
M4 just west of Membury services.
--
David Entwistle

Thanks David,

I've checked my radio obs captures, and have no signal reflections for that
time. Sometimes
they show up, sometimes they don't!

Regards,
Andy Smith,
G7IZU Radio Reflection Detection Page
http://tinyurl.com/w6pv
(High meteor activity alerts via email now available!)

Old January 23rd 05, 08:57 PM
David Entwistle

In article , Andy
writes

Barnaby's original post suggests 17:28 UT on Sunday, 15th January from
M4 just west of Membury services.
--
David Entwistle

Thanks David,

I've checked my radio obs captures, and have no signal reflections for that
time. Sometimes
they show up, sometimes they don't!

Sorry, I should have said the 17:28 UT on Sunday, 16th January.
--
David Entwistle