My first telescope, image supposed to be inverted?

Old August 21st 03, 06:08 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

Default My first telescope, image supposed to be inverted?

D Perkins wrote in :

I bought my parents a 900mm reflector telescope (Bushnell) and we can't
figure out what we're doing wrong. Everything is upside-down, is this a
malfunction or is it supposed to be like that?

It's normal for an astronomical Telescope.

L.

Respond by sending mailto
Thanks in advance,

Doug

Old August 21st 03, 11:13 AM
Bobsprit

I bought my parents a 900mm reflector telescope (Bushnell) and we can't
figure out what we're doing wrong. Everything is upside-down, is this a
malfunction or is it supposed to be like that?

You mounted the scope upside down or it's a chinese model.

Capt RB
Old August 21st 03, 02:31 PM
Erazor

"D Perkins" ha scritto nel messaggio
I bought my parents a 900mm reflector telescope (Bushnell) and we can't
figure out what we're doing wrong. Everything is upside-down, is this a
malfunction or is it supposed to be like that?

Respond by sending mailto
Thanks in advance,

Doug

It should be right ... you could reverse the image using a 45° prism, I
think.

Old August 21st 03, 06:24 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Bobsprit
writes

nothing

plonk.
--
"Roads in space for rockets to travel....four-dimensional roads, curving with
relativity"
Old August 30th 03, 02:33 AM
D Perkins

My question was answered thoroughly in email, and in the newsgroup.
Much thanks to all who assisted.

Doug

Old September 3rd 03, 05:58 AM
Darrell

I've read that Newtonian Reflector telescopes cannot be corrected to an
upright image. However, Refractor scopes can use a prisim to make the
correction.

Old September 3rd 03, 07:09 AM
Odysseus

Darrell wrote:

I've read that Newtonian Reflector telescopes cannot be corrected to an
upright image. However, Refractor scopes can use a prisim to make the
correction.

I don't believe there's any theoretical consideration that would
prevent a Newt from being modified to produce a 'correct' image. But
a principal advantage of the Newtonian design is the minimal amount
of glass in the optical path, so adding prisms or extra lenses would
be contrary to its 'spirit'.

--
Odysseus
Old September 3rd 03, 06:24 PM
Darrell

I'm sure there is a way to fix it, I personally don't know how. The reason
I said, "I read" is because, I never say something "Can't be done!"
However, this is what I found on celestron's FAQ page:
http://www.celestron.com/support/faq_114gt.htm#114A1

Q: How do I get an erect image in my eyepiece?

A: Unfortunately, the inverted image cannot be corrected on Newtonian
style telescopes. These were designed for astronomical use, where an
inverted image is not an issue. Only refractor style scopes can be corrected
for terrestrial use. Binoculars and spotting scopes are simply small
refractor telescopes that have erecting prisms built-in.

Old September 3rd 03, 08:36 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

I'd guess that the problem is that most Newtonian reflectors have a
short focal length (low f/ratio) so there isn't room to insert an
erecting prism and keep the image in focus. You might be able to do it
with a Barlow lens and if you're really ambitious you could set some
sort of relay system that extends the light path.
A third, much less elegant method would be to use a TV camera instead of
your eye and put it in upside down.
Personally, I can live with an inverted image.

In message , Darrell
writes
I'm sure there is a way to fix it, I personally don't know how. The reason
I said, "I read" is because, I never say something "Can't be done!"
However, this is what I found on celestron's FAQ page:
http://www.celestron.com/support/faq_114gt.htm#114A1

Q: How do I get an erect image in my eyepiece?

A: Unfortunately, the inverted image cannot be corrected on Newtonian

"Odysseus" wrote in message
Darrell wrote:

I've read that Newtonian Reflector telescopes cannot be corrected to an
upright image. However, Refractor scopes can use a prisim to make the
correction.

I don't believe there's any theoretical consideration that would
prevent a Newt from being modified to produce a 'correct' image. But
a principal advantage of the Newtonian design is the minimal amount
of glass in the optical path, so adding prisms or extra lenses would
be contrary to its 'spirit'.

--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"