Color image of Mars from Mars Express.

Old December 4th 03, 09:13 PM
Robert Clark

Default Color image of Mars from Mars Express.

Great image of Mars from Mars Express:

First Pictures
http://berlinadmin.dlr.de/Missions/e...firsteng.shtml

The camera on Mars Express will have a resolution capability in orbit
at Mars of 10 meters in color and 2.3 meters in B/W:

HRSC on Mars Express.
http://berlinadmin.dlr.de/Missions/e...ameraeng.shtml

One of the scientists on the Mars Express HRSC color camera team is
Dennis Reiss. He had argued there were indications of currently
forming water carved gullies in Russell crater on Mars:

Dune
Is There Martian Mud in Russell Crater?
by Astrobiology Magazine staffwriter
hemisphere show remarkable details of an unusual erosion pattern.
Unlike rocky avalanches found elsewhere, the dune flows suggest to two
German scientists that for a few summer noon hours, liquid water may
carve up the dunes in a region called Russell Crater. They ask the
question: has mud flowed in the last thousand years on Mars?"
http://mars.astrobio.net/news/article86.html

The THEMIS camera has shown it is possible to image the gully areas
on Mars at 20m/pixel resolution. So the Mars Express camera should be
able to resolve these areas in color at 10m/pixel.

For those of us interested in investigating possible life on Mars it
is noticeable there are greenish areas in the upper right in the Mars
Express image.

Bob Clark

cf.:

From: Robert Clark )
Subject: Mars, the "Greenish" Planet?
Newsgroups: sci.astro, alt.sci.planetary, sci.space.history,
sci.astro.amateur, rec.arts.sf.science
Date: 2002-12-11 18:31:56 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=4a3ea56991ef1f46

From: Robert Clark )
Subject: Dark spots in Mars gullies - evidence of cyanobacteria?
Newsgroups: sci.astro, sci.astro.seti, alt.sci.planetary, sci.bio.misc
Date: 2001-11-29 14:05:07 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=b4c2374dcdf153f6

For email response, send to same userid as above, but append
Hotmail.com instead of Yahoo.com.

Andrew Yee wrote in message ...
ESA News
http://www.esa.int

Planet Mars from 5.5 million kilometres
[http://www.esa.int/export/esaCP/SEMN..._index_1.html]

This picture (copyright ESA) was taken on 1 December 2003 from ESA's Mars
Express spacecraft by the High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) under the
responsibility of the Principal Investigator Prof. Gerhard Neukum. It was
processed by the DLR Institute for Planetary Research, also involved in the
development of the camera, and by the Freie Universität Berlin.

This picture shows planet Mars as seen from a distance of about 5.5 million
kilometres. This is a very unusual view of Mars because the planet is
illuminated in a way never seen from Earth. The sun shines on part of the
western hemisphere, but more than a third of the Martian disc lies in the dark.
The dark features at the top are part of the northern lowlands of Mars, where
oceans possibly existed thousands of millions of years ago.

Credits: ESA

For further information please contact:

ESA Media Relations Service
Tel: +33(0)1.53.69.7155
Fax: +33(0)1.53.69.7690

Prof. Gerhard Neukum
Freie Universität Berlin
Department of Earth Sciences
Malterserstr. 74-100, Building D
D-12249 Berlin
Germany
Tel: +49 30-83870-579 (or -575)
Fax: +49 30-83870-188
email:

Related links

* Europe goes to Mars
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/index.html
* Mars Express mission facts
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Exp...U55V9ED_0.html
* Beagle 2 lander homepage
http://www.beagle2.com

Related articles

* 'Europe lands on Mars' -- Media event at ESA/ESOC
http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMBUGXLDMD_index_0.html
* Crucial moments on the way to Mars
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Exp...Z0UZJND_0.html
* Are you ready for Mars?
http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMTERWLDMD_index_0.html

Old December 4th 03, 10:42 PM
MHarveyWW1

Great image of Mars from Mars Express:

I guess I've become jaded by the truly outstanding images from the Mars
orbiters and Hubble.......this Mars Express image is not as good as most of the
AMATEUR images made FROM HERE ON EARTH with consumer digital cameras during
the past opposition.
The bar has been raised to a great height!

Mike Harvey
Old December 4th 03, 11:22 PM
Rod Mollise

I guess I've become jaded by the truly outstanding images from the Mars
orbiters and Hubble.......this Mars Express image is not as good as most of
the
AMATEUR images made FROM HERE ON EARTH with consumer digital cameras during
the past opposition.
The bar has been raised to a great height!

Hi Mike:

Stereo camera, schmereo camera, they shoulda put a Toucam Pro on this puppy!
:-)

Seriously, yes, beautiful pictures, but the amateur images were wonderful this
apparition. Some, actually kept up with HST pretty darned well.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

From: Robert Clark )
Newsgroups: sci.astro, alt.sci.planetary, sci.space.history,
sci.astro.amateur, rec.arts.sf.science
Date: 2002-12-11 18:31:56 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=4a3ea56991ef1f46

From: Robert Clark )
Newsgroups: sci.astro, sci.astro.seti, alt.sci.planetary, sci.bio.misc
Date: 2001-11-29 14:05:07 PST

Old December 7th 03, 11:08 AM
Chris Marriott

"Peter Gennaro" wrote in message
That's the most blurry picture of Mars I've seen. An 8" Meade will give

the
same view.

Peter,

That view couldn't be obtained by ANY Earth-based telescope!

Regards,

Chris

Old December 7th 03, 04:44 PM
Richard Harding

That view couldn't be obtained by ANY Earth-based telescope!

Obviously you don't follow the threads of the conspiracy mongers!!! I
am sure that they will have a multitude of reasons!! LOL
Richard
Old December 8th 03, 10:23 PM
Robert Cook

"Peter Gennaro" wrote in message ...

That's the most blurry picture of Mars I've seen. An 8" Meade will give the
same view.

But how close can this 8" Meade get to Mars? Let's compare Mars
images from these two systems a few weeks from now to see which are
more impressive. :-)

- Robert Cook
Old December 9th 03, 07:32 PM
Peter Gennaro

Are you talking about the angle or the clarity? I'm talking about the
clarity.

Any earth bound 10" or 12" reflector would give better clarity than that
photo

Old December 9th 03, 09:27 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Peter Gennaro wrote:
Are you talking about the angle or the clarity? I'm talking about the
clarity.

It's not interesting because of the clarity, it's interesting because of
the angle. Complaining about the clarity is missing the point. By the
way, when I worked for Mike Malin we took a similar image of Mars (ours
was not nearly as nice and not in color). Sadly, it turned out to be
the only image Mars Observer ever returned of the red planet. I hope
these guys have better luck.

Clear skies,
Greg

--