Curiosity down

Old August 6th 12, 08:46 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Curiosity down

Is there a non moderated group for such things?
Anyway, they are a noisy lot in JPL are they not?

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Old August 6th 12, 10:02 AM posted to sci.space.station
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 6/08/2012 5:46 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is there a non moderated group for such things?

That's why I went for sci.space.policy; I've been saying for several
years that there is a need for additional groups in the sci.space 'group'.

Anyway, they are a noisy lot in JPL are they not?

VERY noisy!

Old August 6th 12, 12:58 PM posted to sci.space.station
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 6/08/2012 9:00 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
sci.space.robotic perhaps?

Brian

Nah; too sci-fi. How about sci.space.robotic? ;-)
Old August 6th 12, 02:59 PM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...

Is there a non moderated group for such things?

sci.space.policy

Buy why not use the moderated group sci.space.science that was meant for
stuff like this?

Old August 6th 12, 04:05 PM posted to sci.space.station
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 6/08/2012 11:59 PM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...

Is there a non moderated group for such things?

sci.space.policy

Buy why not use the moderated group sci.space.science that was meant for
stuff like this?

There have been six messages posted to that group this year.

Why moderate it at all?

Old August 6th 12, 04:30 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Because moderated groups are intimidating to many who are not sure if they
are going to be moderated due to a slightly clueless post, that is why.

I seldom use moderated groups as they are often slow or just do not work due
to misconfigured news servers not passing the posts to the mods.

Brian

Email:

--
Greg D. Moore
http://greenmountainsoftware.wordpress.com/

Old August 6th 12, 04:33 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Maybe its moderated to death. I cannot know that of course but the fact is
that moderated groups often lose moderators and they also put off posters.
I'd plump for unmoderation but could that be achieved ie would all servers
change the posting system?

I have posted there but in the past I got the distinct feeling that unless
I was really very techy, the posts gleened dispariging comments from the
few who thought it was undermining their group. I know the current mod has
said post there, but I do think a lot of people were put off previously.

Brian

Email:

.com...

Old August 6th 12, 04:49 PM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...

Is there a non moderated group for such things?

sci.space.policy

Buy why not use the moderated group sci.space.science that was meant for
stuff like this?

There have been six messages posted to that group this year.

I haven't kept track, but trust me, there have been far more than 6 messages
posted to the group.

That may be the only ones let approved, but I figured folks didn't want to
read the ones trying to sell commercial LIDAR images or articles on
"Law of Energy Creation, New Cosmology Model."

Why moderate it at all?

To keep out the amount of spam that gets directed to them.

Old August 6th 12, 04:50 PM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...

Maybe its moderated to death. I cannot know that of course but the fact is
that moderated groups often lose moderators and they also put off posters.

Well I would hope my moderation has been more positive than negative. But
the truth is, we don't get many on-topic posts.

You only see the ones that are approved (and I'll admit I sometimes push the
boundaries a bit on that.)

I'd plump for unmoderation but could that be achieved ie would all servers
change the posting system?

I have posted there but in the past I got the distinct feeling that unless
I was really very techy, the posts gleened dispariging comments from the
few who thought it was undermining their group. I know the current mod has
said post there, but I do think a lot of people were put off previously.

Well, for about 5-6 years (I forget how long) George Herbert wasn't
moderating at all. It's only been the last 4 years that there's been any
active moderation.

Brian

Curiosity attitude control ... Ken S. Tucker[_2_] History 6 August 6th 12 10:39 AM
Curiosity Before Mars: Seven Minutes of Terror Sam Wormley[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 2 August 4th 12 10:07 AM
Some background on Curiosity from PhD Sam Wormley[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 2 July 31st 12 03:03 PM
Curiosity Brian Gaff Space Shuttle 6 May 3rd 12 01:40 PM
Astronomy + Curiosity = Discovery ! Painius Misc 0 April 19th 06 09:16 AM