More Universes

Old September 7th 03, 05:33 PM
Bill C.

Default More Universes

Is it possible, or ever been postulated and discounted, that what is driving
the acceleration of our universe's outward spread, is not energy contained
within, but the gravitational pull of many other universes?

Bill C.

Old September 7th 03, 05:41 PM
Greg Neill

"Bill C." wrote in message
Is it possible, or ever been postulated and discounted, that what is driving
the acceleration of our universe's outward spread, is not energy contained
within, but the gravitational pull of many other universes?

It doesn't work. If the "other universes" were located in
a spherically symmetric shell around ours (and they would
have to be to maintain homogeneity and isotropy) then their
net gravitational influence would be zero. The gravitational
force due to a spherical shell of matter is zero for a body
inside the shell.

Old September 7th 03, 06:56 PM
Bill C.

"Greg Neill" wrote
It doesn't work. If the "other universes" were located in
a spherically symmetric shell around ours (and they would
have to be to maintain homogeneity and isotropy) then their
net gravitational influence would be zero. The gravitational
force due to a spherical shell of matter is zero for a body
inside the shell.

O.K. I think it's the part in the (parenthesis) that I was unsure about,
that is that the increase in acceleration is occuring more or less uniformly
in all directions, which makes the whole idea pretty hard to fathom if
external bodies were to blame.

If the theoretical universes were relatively close (say an object at the
margin is closer to the next nearest universe than to its own universe's
center) would the force of a spherical shell of universes still be zero for
that body? Looks like the answer is yes. Thanks for the feedback Greg.

Bill C.

Old September 7th 03, 08:23 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Bill C I posted a theory that the universe has both concave
space,and convex space,and I'm using Einstein's space geometry.(He might
like That) Convex space taking over say 11 billionLY away. We live in an
area of concave space(inward) Inward comes from within the micro
realm,and it carries this gravity effect for 11 billion LY out.Nature
balances gravity force by convexing space to the next 11 LY,and this is
why if you read my posts the BB took place 22 LY ago. Well that fits
with my thinking. To sum it up gravity can both attract(as we see it) or
repels large structures 11 billion light years away from us with an
accelerating speed,that gets closer and closer to "C" Bert

Old September 8th 03, 11:48 AM
Fred Williams

Greg Neill wrote:

"Bill C." wrote in message
Is it possible, or ever been postulated and discounted, that what
is driving the acceleration of our universe's outward spread, is
not energy contained within, but the gravitational pull of many
other universes?

It doesn't work. If the "other universes" were located in
a spherically symmetric shell around ours (and they would
have to be to maintain homogeneity and isotropy) then their
net gravitational influence would be zero. The gravitational
force due to a spherical shell of matter is zero for a body
inside the shell.

Just to be speculative, I've wondered about the universe rotating
about a 4th dimensional axis. I think that would produce an
accelerating expansion in our three dimensions. Strange phenomenon
though, that accelerating expansion. It's like the rest of the
universe took a good look at Earth and said, "Lets get the heck away
from those guys!" (:-))

--
Regards
Fred

Remove FFFf to reply, please
Old September 9th 03, 03:39 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Fred I helped answer this question in today's "What if" post. I
feel it all comes out of the escape velocity of the BB. Bert