WILL SAO 257648 Ever be viewable from Austin?

Old September 6th 03, 07:01 AM
Darrell

Default WILL SAO 257648 Ever be viewable from Austin?

RA 285.86885417 DEC -76.11558555

RA: 19h 04m 01.397s Dec: -76°06'25.062"
RA: 19h 03m 29.115s Dec: -76°06'55.782" (Epoch 2000)
Azm: 182°07'26" Alt: -43°13'11"

I think it is always below the horizon.

Old September 6th 03, 07:41 PM
Bill Hennessy

No, the southern horizon is dec -60 from Austin. Since you lat. is about 30
N.

Old September 8th 03, 06:18 AM
Darrell

Thanks, I just read today from using "TheSky" tutorial the following:

"Objects with a declination below the latitude of the observer less 90
degrees will never rise at that latitude. For example, if you live at 40
degrees North latitude, objects with a declination below minus 50 degrees
(40 minus 90) will never rise. If you are located at 90 degrees latitude
(the North Pole), you will never see any objects with a negative
declination."

Just like you said 30 - 90 = -60

This is just great! I named a star after my girlfriend, and she will not
even get to see it, unless we are willing to travel below 14 deg N lat! I'm
guessing without looking at a map that, that is somewhere in S. America. I
think I'll try to have them change it to another star. I hope there are
some left! lol. I can't believe StarNamer (www.starnamer.com)would assign
a star with dec -76 when they know that I live in Austin (30 deg N lat!)
What are they thinking?

m...

Old September 8th 03, 07:18 AM
David Knisely

Hi there. You posted:

This is just great! I named a star after my girlfriend, and she will not
even get to see it, unless we are willing to travel below 14 deg N lat! I'm
guessing without looking at a map that, that is somewhere in S. America. I
think I'll try to have them change it to another star. I hope there are
some left! lol. I can't believe StarNamer (www.starnamer.com)would assign
a star with dec -76 when they know that I live in Austin (30 deg N lat!)
What are they thinking?

Well, Darrel, I hate to break it to you, but its actually worse than you
think. In reality, you didn't really name anything. All you did was give up
some of your hard-earned cash for a piece of paper and maybe a cheap map. The
star is not "named" after anybody despite what these people say about
copyrights and catalogs. The simple fact is that this "name" has no
significance scientifically or otherwise (except, perhaps to you and the
company which took your money). There is nothing which would prevent someone
else from claiming the very same star as "theirs". Indeed, there are a number
of other star-naming outfits out there, and probably, that star is taken or
will soon be by another company! In fact, you could point to any faint star
you liked in the sky, "name" it after your girlfriend, make up your own
certificate (and save yourself some money), and the results would have been
just as valid (or invalid) as the ones the company you dealt with gave you.
It would have been an interesting novelty gift, but it would *only* be that.
The star would still not be "named" for anyone. Star names are generally from
historical sources which generated the common names we sometimes use for some
of the brighter ones, or they may come from the names of well-known scientists
who have studied a particular star. The company you got your paper from is
actually misusing the SAO star catalog for their own money-making purposes!
The star itself will still be known as SAO 257648, or, more correctly, by
more current catalog designators like HD 175304 or T 9458:479:1. The star
is rather faint at that (magnitude 7.75) so it wouldn't be visible to the
unaided eye even if you went to the southern hemisphere. For some facts about
the star, its a yellowish giant star of a spectral class K1-III, and is
roughly 400 light years away. A telescope would show it, but again, it is in
the far southern constellation of Octans, so you would have to penny-up all
the money for the trip down to Australia or South America, as well as the
money for a small telescope and a decent star chart to actually see the star.
As for what these star naming outfits are thinking, its simple: MONEY!
All these people do is take your money and give you paper. They could care
less whether or not you could see a particular star from your location. In
retrospect, it might have been better to use that money towards a nice dinner,
a movie, or even a book on the stars if your girlfriend showed the interest.
As is, all you got her was a piece of paper. Its a nice gesture, but that's
about it. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old September 8th 03, 05:12 PM
Darrell

David,

Actally, it's not really news, I understand that you'd think it's only
paper, but for $19 now $25, I got a certificate and her name on a "star"
database that she can show off to all her friends on the Internet. Not to
mention all the "extra" benefits" if you know what I mean. We both
understand that no one in the scientific community will know the star by
Larua Jean, but if you go to Starnamer.com, and type in SAO 257648, it comes
up with Laura Jean, for all it's worth I would do it again. But thanks for
your input anyway.

D-
Hi there. You posted:

Old September 8th 03, 08:06 PM
Darrell

Will my star name be officially recognized?
Our registry and star catalog are not coordinated with the scientific
community. Therefore, you won't have some astrophysicist calling your star
"Larua Jean." They will continue to use the telescopic coordinates, since it
is more convenient for them. Naming a star is a symbolic gesture on your
part that shows your sincere appreciation for the person being named.

Old September 9th 03, 06:27 AM
David Knisely

Darrell posted:

Naming a star is a symbolic gesture on your
part that shows your sincere appreciation for the person being named.

I can think of better ways to do this.

Old September 9th 03, 07:56 AM
Darrell

I think the subject changed. It really wasn't a reason of why I "named" a
star after Laura Jean, it is a matter of principal that Star Namer should
have given me a cert with an SAO that I can see from Austin. People do all
sorts of nice gestures, some symbolic, some not. Each in their own personal
ways. Personally, I can think of better ways, and worse ways, but
nevertheless it is a "nice" gesture. If someone across the globe, or even
my next door neighboor wanted the same star named after them on some other
database, it's not going to hurt my feelings. Think about it.....all we are
ever going to do with them anyway is look at 'em.

Next subject.

"David Knisely" wrote in message
.. .
Darrell posted: