Foucault's Pendulum Experiment

Old September 7th 03, 03:28 AM
SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER: CINDY SMITH

Default Foucault's Pendulum Experiment

I'm reading an introductory book on astronomy called _Discovering
Astronomy_ by William H. Jeffrys and R. Robert Robbins. On page 7 is
a description of the pendulum experiment by Foucault in 1851 designed
to prove that the earth rotates on its axis. Theoretically, the
pendulum should rotate opposite to the Earth's rotation. Question 9
asks: "Why doesn't the plane of oscillation of the pendulum rotate at
the equator?" I don't know the answer. Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks.

--

Cindy Smith Unless the LORD build the house,
they labor in vain who build.

Old September 7th 03, 04:00 AM
Painius

"SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER: CINDY SMITH" wrote...
in message ...

[...]

You will find more detail through going to this website...

http://www.uvi.edu/Physics/dave/Dave...12NetPlay.html

....in a nutshell it's because the pendulum isn't really
rotating. The plane of the pendulum's swing stays
still while the Earth rotates beneath it. So if you set
up the pendulum on the equator, then there is no
opposing rotation of the Earth beneath the pendulum.

And at the other extreme, if you set up your pendulum
at one of the Earth's poles, the pendulum's swing would
appear to take 24 hours to rotate because there is
maximum opposing rotation of the Earth beneath the
pendulum.

hth

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Sometimes OH! my mind grips a thought so unkind
That it twists me to heights of contortion...

Paine Ellsworth

Old September 7th 03, 05:26 AM
Bonnie Granat

What I still don't understand is why, if the pendulum is attached to the
building, it doesn't just move along with the building!
Do you know, Cindy? Funny meeting you here!
--
___________________________
Bonnie Granat

Old September 7th 03, 09:35 AM
Roger Hamlett

"Bonnie Granat" wrote in message
What I still don't understand is why, if the pendulum is attached to the
building, it doesn't just move along with the building!
Do you know, Cindy? Funny meeting you here!

In one sense, if you rigidly attach the pendulum, it can't swing...
Pendulums are normally hung with a chain link, or knife edge bearings at the
top, to minimise the friction. While these will resist large rotation (after
a few hours), they allow enough compliance, for the pendulum to turn quite a
few degrees relative to the mounting, hence the effect can be seen. You can
design 'better' mounts, when you want to deliberately show the effect. A
common one is to have the pendulum having a 'hoop' at the top, that goes
round a bar. Then between the hoop and the bar, have a ball bearing. The
resuling coupling, can have free rotational movement through as much as
about 60 degrees. If the bar, and the hoop, are turned into a cantilever
support, and a 'hook', the free movement, can be raised to nearly a full
circle.
If you look at clock pendulums, early ones, have a small bar alongside the
pendulum, to keep it from rotating relative to the rest of the clock. Early
clockmakers found they had to put this in, to keep the mechanism working
properly, but didn't know why!... Some, also hang the pendulum on a piece of
thin steel 'band', that bends easily in it's thin direction, but when
slightly bent, massively resists twisting, which again keeps everything
aligned. It is also interesting to look at wear on clocks. If you get an old
Grandfather clock that has lived in the Northern hemisphere, and move it
south of the equator, it is common to have to re-adjust the mechanism to get
it to work. If you take apart the clock, you can see that on the ratchet
bar, running from the pendulum, all the wear tends to be on one side.

Best Wishes

Old September 7th 03, 06:11 PM
SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER: CINDY SMITH

In article , "Bonnie Granat"
writes:

What I still don't understand is why, if the pendulum is attached to the
building, it doesn't just move along with the building!
Do you know, Cindy? Funny meeting you here!

It's a small Dyson Sphere, after all :-).

Alas, I haven't the faintest idea. I'm hoping some astronomer or
astronomy major will enlighten us.

--
___________________________

Old September 8th 03, 02:53 AM
Bonnie Granat

Cindy, it's because (I think) that the equator is too far from the earth's
axis to show rotation. In other words, there is no "earth" that is "under" a
pendulum at the equator. The surface of the earth is so far from the axis
that this particular "trick" -- and it is really a kind of trick -- only
works perfectly at the poles. It works somewhat in the latitudes that
Foucault lived in. If you are suspended above a basketball and you look down
on the top of the ball, and someone turns the ball on its vertical axis, you
will see the writing on the ball move in a circle beneath you. If you are
holding the basketball at arms length in front of you, and you turn the ball
360 degrees on its vertical axis, all you see is the lateral movement.
There's no circle visible to you at all.

Old September 8th 03, 02:55 PM
Greg Neill

[...]

The whole Earth is "under" the pendulum no matter what the
latitude; gravity always points to the center.

The reason that the plane of the pendulum's swing does
not rotate for a pendulum on the equator is that the
plane coincides with the plane of the equator, which
does not change orientation in space.

Old September 9th 03, 12:01 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message ta77b.49272$Zw4.7465@lakeread03, George
writes

I think they still have one of these set up at the
Smithsonian in Washington, and at a number of places around
the world. I even set one up myself years ago for a
high-school science project - in the stairwell. For a
relatively short term demonstration, you don't need any
fancy suspension method. Just hang it on a wire that's
clamped at the top. Eventually it would break with enough
flexing, but a long pendulum with a small motion at the top
will last quite a while.

Doesn't the Smithsonian one feature in Carl Sagan's "Contact" (the book,
not the film)?
A Foucault Pendulum was featured in Scientific American's "Amateur
Scientist" column years ago, and IIRC they said that one of the major
problems was overcoming torsion in the wire and suspension.
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"