Help needed - blackbody radiation maths

Old July 15th 12, 01:04 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Sleepalot[_2_]

Default Help needed - blackbody radiation maths

Hi guys, can anyone help me?

I'm trying do the maths that produces blackbody radiation curves,
[using Open Office Calc] as presented on this page:
http://pveducation.org/pvcdrom/properties-of-sunlight/blackbody-radiation

.... but my results come out like the "ultraviolet catastrophe".

This is not homework; I want to do two things;

a) see what the curves on graphs like this* _should_ look like,
b) to find out how much infrared the Sun produces.

*http://www.johnstonanalytics.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Atmospheric_Transmission.129223740.png

The low temperature curves should look like this:
http://cleanet.org/images/clean/community/climateworkshop/workspace/absorption_spectrum_blackbody_.v2.jpg

(I realise the curve for the Sun will have to be reduced substantially, because
the Sun is far away.)

Old July 16th 12, 03:42 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Newshound

On 15/07/2012 13:04, Sleepalot wrote:

Hi guys, can anyone help me?

I'm trying do the maths that produces blackbody radiation curves,
[using Open Office Calc] as presented on this page:
http://pveducation.org/pvcdrom/properties-of-sunlight/blackbody-radiation

... but my results come out like the "ultraviolet catastrophe".

This is not homework; I want to do two things;

a) see what the curves on graphs like this* _should_ look like,
b) to find out how much infrared the Sun produces.

*http://www.johnstonanalytics.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Atmospheric_Transmission.129223740.png

The low temperature curves should look like this:
http://cleanet.org/images/clean/community/climateworkshop/workspace/absorption_spectrum_blackbody_.v2.jpg

(I realise the curve for the Sun will have to be reduced substantially, because
the Sun is far away.)

I needed to do some engineering calcs recently and found this link
useful for them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien's_displacement_law

Old July 19th 12, 11:18 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Sleepalot[_2_]

newshound wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand how that helps me.