China's 1st Moon Rover Launches On Lunar Journey

Old December 1st 13, 10:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default China's 1st Moon Rover Launches On Lunar Journey

"China's first-ever mission to land a rover on the moon has begun its
journey to the lunar frontier.

Riding atop a modified Long March 3B rocket, China's Chang'e 3 moon
lander and its rover Yutu toward the moon at 1:30 a.m. Monday (Dec. 2)
local time from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in the country's
Sichuan province. It was 12:30 p.m. EST (1730 GMT) on Dec. 1 at launch
time.

If the probe continues on track, Chang'e 3 will land on the lunar
surface by mid-December, becoming the first spacecraft to touch down
on the moon in more than 37 years. The moon landing mission was the
former Soviet Union's robotic Luna 24 sample return mission in 1976."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/chinas-1st-moo...190716529.html
Old December 2nd 13, 12:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

On Monday, December 2, 2013 10:23:44 AM UTC+13, wrote:
"China's first-ever mission to land a rover on the moon has begun its

journey to the lunar frontier.

Riding atop a modified Long March 3B rocket, China's Chang'e 3 moon

lander and its rover Yutu toward the moon at 1:30 a.m. Monday (Dec. 2)

local time from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in the country's

Sichuan province. It was 12:30 p.m. EST (1730 GMT) on Dec. 1 at launch

time.

If the probe continues on track, Chang'e 3 will land on the lunar

surface by mid-December, becoming the first spacecraft to touch down

on the moon in more than 37 years. The moon landing mission was the

former Soviet Union's robotic Luna 24 sample return mission in 1976."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/chinas-1st-moo...190716529.html

As John Fitzgerald Kennedy said at Rice University in Sep 12, 1962

"Man and his quest for knowledge and progress is determined and cannot be deterred. The exploration of space will go ahead, whether we join in it or not. And it is one of the great adventures of all time. And no nation, which to expects to be the leader of other nations can expect to stay behind in this race for space. Those who came before us, made certain that this country rode the first waves of the industrial revolution, the first waves of modern invention, and the first wave of nuclear power. And this generation does not intend to founder in the backwash of the coming age of space. We mean to be a part of it. We mean to lead it! The eyes of the world now look into space. To the moon and to the planets beyond."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouRbkBAOGEw

Katy Lied - Steely Dan - Dr. Wu. - Released 1975 ABC Records

Rewritten in honour of China's and India's launch...

Johnny tried,
but he was crucified,
now we're on the other side
of no tomorrow.

Freedom ends,
and it can't begin again,
just when we've spent
the last paister we could borrow.

All night long,
we would sing that freedom song,
and every word we sang
I knew was true.

Are you with me Dr. Wu?
Our nation's just a shadow
of the one that we once knew.
Are we crazy are we high?
Or just ordinary guys
who have done all we can do?
Are you with me Dr?

It don't seem right.
I've been strung out here all night.
I've been waiting on the taste
space would bring to me.

Merrit Bay,
where the NASA gentlemen sleep all day.
I went searching for a song
Johnny used to sing to me.

Johnny lied,
you can see it in his eyes,
but imagine my surprise
when I saw you.

Are you with me Dr. Wu?
Are you only just a shadow
of a man that we once knew?
Are we crazy are we high?
Or just ordinary guys,
that have done all they can do?
Can you hear me Doctor?
Are you with me Doctor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHpoSL-SEhA

ORIGINAL WORDS

Katy tried
I was halfway crucified
I was on the other side
Of no tomorrow
You walked in
And my life began again
Just when I'd spent the last piaster
I could borrow
All night long
We would sing that stupid song
And every word we sang
I knew was true
Are you with me doctor wu ?
Are you really just a shadow
Of the man that I once knew?
Are you crazy are you high
Or just an ordinary guy?
Have you done all you can do?
Are you with me Doctor?

Don't seem right
I've been strung out here all night
I've been waiting for the taste
You said you'd bring to me
Biscayne Bay
Where the Cuban gentlemen sleep all day
I went searching for the song
You used to sing to me
Katy lies
You could see it in her eyes
But imagine my surprise
When I saw you

Are you with me Doctor Wu
Are you really just a shadow
Of the man that I once knew
She is lovely yes she's sly
And you're an ordinary guy
Has she finally got to you
Can you hear me Doctor
Old December 3rd 13, 12:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Monday, December 2, 2013 3:58:09 AM UTC-8, William Mook wrote:
[...]

No doubt the fly-by-rocket soft-landing and deployment of their rover will be closely monitored by our goons and minions of DARPA, NASA, JPL and ASU.

As for landing upon the physically darkest area of lunar surface should be quite interesting to see those secondary/recoil photons of minerals and raw elements that have to exist as offering UV reactive colors that proper bandpass filters and appropriate imaging with sufficient dynamic range can easily enhance.

Of course gamma spectrometry should not leave any doubt whatsoever as to what that naked surface and even hidden deep under the dust has to offer.

Old December 3rd 13, 04:11 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 12:19:03 PM UTC+13, Brad Guth wrote:
[...]

It would be interesting if the Chinese lunar rover landed at one of the Apollo sites - and found no footprints! lol. Even so, I think I understand your meaning. If the lunar surface looks appreciably different than Apollo, that would be interesting. I can imagine China and the US getting into a ****ing contest if there were inconsistencies of any sort between the data...

Old December 3rd 13, 05:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Monday, December 2, 2013 7:11:53 PM UTC-8, William Mook wrote:
[...]

Even the JAXA mission of terrific color imaging were initially offering only bluish/purple saturated color images, as an example of how raw solar UV created all of those unavoidable secondary/recoil photons which our NASA/Apollo missions and all of their unfiltered exposures of Kodak film never encountered. All of the supposed full color images via JAXA were subsequently PhotoShopped in order to suit the NASA/Apollo era standard (easily proven by even a dysfunctional 5th grader).

Old December 3rd 13, 06:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 1:23:44 PM UTC-8, wrote:
"China's first-ever mission to land a rover on the moon has begun its

journey to the lunar frontier.

Riding atop a modified Long March 3B rocket, China's Chang'e 3 moon

lander and its rover Yutu toward the moon at 1:30 a.m. Monday (Dec. 2)

local time from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in the country's

Sichuan province. It was 12:30 p.m. EST (1730 GMT) on Dec. 1 at launch

time.

If the probe continues on track, Chang'e 3 will land on the lunar

surface by mid-December, becoming the first spacecraft to touch down

on the moon in more than 37 years. The moon landing mission was the

former Soviet Union's robotic Luna 24 sample return mission in 1976."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/chinas-1st-moo...190716529.html

A 120 kg rover isn't representing all that much mass, operating on 6 treads and at 1/6th gravity should represent roughly half the surface loading as that of an Apollo astronaut.