China plans large Arecibo type radio telescope

Old February 17th 16, 05:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default China plans large Arecibo type radio telescope

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/16/asia/c...ons/index.html

Old February 17th 16, 03:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 06:24:05 UTC+1, RichA wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/16/asia/c...ons/index.html

Oh, the wonderful irony!

The build a prestigious radio telescope to wave the dictatorship flag and pretend to search for extra-terrestrials...

When right under their noses the real aliens are running the country.

I hear the telescope is to be called "The Double Bluff." [In Chinese of course.]
Old February 17th 16, 06:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Chris.B wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 06:24:05 UTC+1, RichA wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/16/asia/c...ons/index.html

Oh, the wonderful irony!

The build a prestigious radio telescope to wave the dictatorship flag and
pretend to search for extra-terrestrials...

When right under their noses the real aliens are running the country.

I hear the telescope is to be called "The Double Bluff." [In Chinese of course.]

Science is still science whoever does the research. As long as the science
is rigorous we should welcome it.

Old February 17th 16, 07:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 11:10:59 AM UTC-7, Mike Collins wrote:

Science is still science whoever does the research. As long as the science
is rigorous we should welcome it.

Well, in order to ensure a quiet radio environment, many people are going to be
displaced from their homes - and they're primarily members of ethnic minorities
rather than Han Chinese, which is not surprising, since one has to go into the
boonies to find places not crowded in China.

But, indeed, a large radio telescope would no doubt just be doing useful
science.

It's only in video games that we have to worry about soldiers from a Communist
dictatorship discovering the secret of the flying saucers - or obtaining
control of an alien freeze ray.

John Savard
Yes, I've just discovered my computer has decent graphics capabilities. Why do you ask?
Old February 18th 16, 02:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 17/02/2016 18:08, Mike Collins wrote:
Chris.B wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 06:24:05 UTC+1, RichA wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/16/asia/c...ons/index.html

Oh, the wonderful irony!

The build a prestigious radio telescope to wave the dictatorship flag and
pretend to search for extra-terrestrials...

When right under their noses the real aliens are running the country.

I hear the telescope is to be called "The Double Bluff." [In Chinese of course.]

Science is still science whoever does the research. As long as the science
is rigorous we should welcome it.

Moreover since the continued funding of Arecibo is presently at risk we
should welcome having another entrant into the big dish arena.

http://www.nature.com/news/arecibo-o...ng-row-1.18745

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

China Plans Supercollider! Double-A[_4_] Misc 6 August 3rd 14 10:10 PM
Large Radio Telescope Orbiting Moon. Ken S. Tucker Policy 14 May 18th 10 09:03 PM
China Plans to Launch Space Solar Telescope Steve Dufour Policy 71 April 29th 04 10:33 PM
China's Space Plans Steve Dufour Misc 0 October 17th 03 02:42 AM
China's future Shenzhou Plans ? Jason S History 7 September 25th 03 07:49 PM