ASTRO: UGC 9242

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 9th 10, 06:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Default ASTRO: UGC 9242

Ninety some percent of the rain in California occurs between November
and March with the April - June period being unsettled.

In addition, the Central Valley of California drains to the ocean
through the Carquinez Strait and the San Francisco bay which means
that marine moisture that enters the valley comes in through that
path.

My location is in that pathway and is always impacted whenever there
is a marine layer intrusion into the valley.

This year the rains started in October and marine layers are prevalent
on the nights when the skies are clear so a clear night in which
seeing is approaching a 3 is a good night.

I guess I'm moaning and groaning in an attempt to say that I don't
have any reasonably good images to post so I will post some images
from previous years.

When I checked APOD this morning and saw Hubbles view of NGC 4452 I
was reminded of one the super thins I maged, UGC 9242.

UGC 9242
Bootes
Penryn, California
April 2010
FS-128 (ag, St-4)
ST-2000XM LR(s)GB 10 minutes subs

UGC 9242 is un-classified as and listed as a super thin edge on galaxy
without a nuclear bulge component. Note the two lobes on either end
of the galaxy and the dark flattened nucleus.

This galaxy is reddened and extinguished somewhat by dust with in our
galaxy (max -0.50 mag.).

Red shift distance is 66 Mly.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version