Could Columbia have been Saved?

Old July 4th 03, 05:27 AM
John E. Perry

Default Could Columbia have been Saved?

Abrigon Gusiq wrote:
What is the procedure and protocols for when the Shuttle is known to have taken some damage?

I have no idea. As I said before, I'm not privy to such matters. They
may be publicly available, but I don't know where it might be.

Did the sending the craft down after there was known damage.

If I've figured out what this nonsensical sentence means, you're asking
if "they sent the craft..."

Yes. But they were sure it was not critical damage.

And could it have been differently?

Of course.

And did it have to happen?

Yes, given the way things went. Any of many things would have avoided
the disaster, but you have to know what the problems are to avoid them.
Or, you have to recognize their importance.

And what ways are there, to make sure this sort of accident/disaster never happens again, or
atleast alot less chances..

This is an unanswerable question. The Challenger sort of accident never
happened again, and it's very likely this sort will never happen again.
So, what's the next kind of accident? As I said before,
"After all, many apparently much worse problems were already known, and
had been addressed. That's what opened the window to let this one
occur,..."

jp