SpaceX launch today was third use of a first stage

Old December 3rd 18, 10:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX launch today was third use of a first stage

Today's SpaceX launch from Vandenberg AFB was the third launch and
landing of this particular stage. This is the first time that a stage
has been used more than twice.

The payload was numerous small satellites (I believe 64 total).

Jeff

Old December 5th 18, 12:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rocket Man

Many people think these satellites wil de-orbit in a couple of months, but
that's far from the truth. Most of them have been dropped in an orbit about
400km up and will take many decades to de-orbit. All the while, these dead
satellites pose an enormous risk for low-flying constellations of the
upcoming internet satelllites (OneWeb, SpaceX etc.).

Old December 5th 18, 12:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Scott Kozel

Orbital life has relatively little to do with the size and weight of the
satellite. Air molecules are infinitesimally tiny compared to any satellite.

Old December 5th 18, 09:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

"Rocket Man" wrote on Wed, 5 Dec 2018
12:18:10 +0100:

Is there some reason why you top post or are you just clueless?

Many people think these satellites wil de-orbit in a couple of months, but
that's far from the truth. Most of them have been dropped in an orbit about
400km up and will take many decades to de-orbit.

Nonsense! While orbital decay times depend on the precise orbital
elements, objects in 400 km orbits decay in about a year. To stay up
"many decades" they'd have to be 600 km or more high.

All the while, these dead
satellites pose an enormous risk for low-flying constellations of the
upcoming internet satelllites (OneWeb, SpaceX etc.).

Nonsense! This was a Brandenburg launch, which means they're probably
in polar orbits. By the time anyone seriously starts putting up
internet satellite systems they will all have decayed and reentered.

"Scott Kozel" wrote in message
Buckshot satellites.

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 7:15:21 AM UTC-5, Rocket Man wrote:
You mean an onerous number of small satellites.

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
Today's SpaceX launch from Vandenberg AFB was the third launch and
landing of this particular stage. This is the first time that a stage
has been used more than twice.

The payload was numerous small satellites (I believe 64 total).

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 6th 18, 01:27 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On Dec/5/2018 at 15:46, Fred J. McCall wrote :
"Rocket Man" wrote on Wed, 5 Dec 2018
12:18:10 +0100:

Is there some reason why you top post or are you just clueless?

Many people think these satellites wil de-orbit in a couple of months, but
that's far from the truth. Most of them have been dropped in an orbit about
400km up and will take many decades to de-orbit.

Nonsense! While orbital decay times depend on the precise orbital
elements, objects in 400 km orbits decay in about a year. To stay up
"many decades" they'd have to be 600 km or more high.

Orbital decay also depends on the mass to effective area ratio. In this
case, since we are talking about small satellites, the mass to effective
area ratio should be small and therefore the satellites should decay
faster than more massive satellites.

Alain Fournier
Old December 6th 18, 02:52 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Spill Chucker changed 'Vandenberg' to Brandenburg.

Fred J. McCall wrote on Wed, 05 DEC 2018 13:46:05
-0700: