China soft lands rover on the moon

Old December 14th 13, 10:36 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

Default China soft lands rover on the moon

China soft lands rover on the moon.
Congratulations!

There is a telesccope on board too.
More info:
http://english.cntv.cn/01/index.shtml
Old December 15th 13, 09:24 PM posted to sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 1:36:38 PM UTC-8, Jan Panteltje wrote:
China soft lands rover on the moon.

Congratulations!

There is a telesccope on board too.

More info:

http://english.cntv.cn/01/index.shtml

So far, not many direct (unretouched or as not having been artificially modified) images, although of one image showing us a physically dark brownish surface like nothing our NASA/Apollo era ever accomplished via any of their supposedly unfiltered and sufficiently rad-hard Kodak film.
Old December 15th 13, 09:51 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 15 Dec 2013 12:24:28 -0800 (PST)) it happened Brad Guth
wrote in
:

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 1:36:38 PM UTC-8, Jan Panteltje wrote:
China soft lands rover on the moon.

Congratulations!

There is a telesccope on board too.

More info:

http://english.cntv.cn/01/index.shtml

So far, not many direct (unretouched or as not having been artificially mod=
ified) images, although of one image showing us a physically dark brownish =
surface like nothing our NASA/Apollo era ever accomplished via any of their=
supposedly unfiltered and sufficiently rad-hard Kodak film.

It is amazing how little about it in the European and US press.
It is quite an accomplishment, to make a 100% correct trip and landing.
I guess if it was American you would hear them screaming 24/7 about it,

Yes, now we have real nice cameras... Wonder what earth looks like through their telescope.
A telescope on the moon should give a clear view of many things.

Old December 16th 13, 06:57 AM posted to sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:51:53 PM UTC-8, Jan Panteltje wrote:
[...]

Yes indeed, the Chinese accomplishment is being downplayed and even as much as possible excluded from our mainstream media coverage.

No doubt whatsoever that those cameras of the China moon mission will be able to clearly see those stars, even along with the horizon of the physically dark moon, plus including that of a very blue Earth at the same time as seeing stars.

Our NASA/Apollo missions accomplished very little, and oddly their Kodak film wasn't capable of depicting true color or sufficient dynamic range, but at least it was perfectly rad-hard.

The telescope of your Chang'e-3 spacecraft should be giving very impressive and even most valuable results as for improved whole-Earth and solar wind interaction science, and of the gamma spectrometry should be for the first time telling a great deal about the composition of our moon.
Old December 16th 13, 06:35 PM posted to sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Monday, December 16, 2013 3:38:44 AM UTC-8, None wrote:

"Our NASA/Apollo missions accomplished very little"

Really...???

Considering what investments and sacrifices we made, and what could have been accomplished instead, yes indeed our guys with all the right stuff accomplished very little.
Old December 17th 13, 10:21 PM posted to sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

CCD imagers heated to 117 C typically do not perform very well, if at all. Active cooling of their imager is required.

Their mission science must include active data as to internal circuitry temps and methods of actively cooling. So, where is this mission critical data and their camera design/engineering specs?

Modern cameras can easily outperform conventional film dynamic range by at least 5 db (not to mention their much wider color spectrum sensitivity which can include IR and UV), or an equivalent of 32 f-stops, and a truly scientific CCD imager should easily obtain a 6 DB or 64 f-stop advantage over Kodak film (especially of individually recorded images at maximum resolution using a CCD imager populated with at least 16.777 million pixels or photon buckets, as opposed to a video camera of only HDTV quality that’s not any better than a GoPro delivers).

Why are their cameras malfunctioning, or are they simply broken?

Why are their gamma spectrometry instruments still not working?

What sort of lens optics and narrow bandpass filters do each of their cameras have to work with?

Why are those local X-ray and gamma radiation readings not being recorded?

Old December 18th 13, 10:18 AM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 17 Dec 2013 13:21:31 -0800 (PST)) it happened Brad Guth
wrote in
:

[...]

They work quite well,
last nigh I downloaded the decend of the rover from the lander from youtube.
If you go to youtube.com and type 'China moon lander' in the search window,
there are many videos already.
On top of that I can watch China via high quality satellite link,
I recorded the launch, and some footage of the lander, for my archive.
Several GB of video.
The cams are high resolution, and transmitted about 1 fps when the rover separated
from the lander.

Why are their gamma spectrometry instruments still not working?

??
This is a 3 month mission, leave it to the mission controllers what to do when.

What sort of lens optics and narrow bandpass filters do each of their camer=
as have to work with?

Why are those local X-ray and gamma radiation readings not being recorded?

Do you have clue?

If you made some effort you can follow that mission hour by hour online.

Old December 19th 13, 05:26 AM posted to sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

CCD imagers heated to 117 C typically do not perform very well, if at all. Active cooling of their imager is required and must always be monitored and regulated by the local and terrestrial computers. Their mission science must include active data feed as to all of their internal circuitry temps and methods of actively cooling. So, where is this mission critical data feed and their camera design/engineering specs?

Modern digital cameras can easily outperform conventional film DR(dynamic range) by at least 5 db (not to mention offering their much wider color spectrum sensitivity which can include IR and UV), providing an equivalent of 32 times better DR, and a truly advanced scientific CCD imager should easily obtain a 6 DB or 64:1 DR advantage over Kodak film (especially of individually recorded images at maximum resolution using an actively cooled CCD imager populated with at least 16.777 million pixels or photon buckets, as opposed to a video camera of only HDTV quality that’s not any better than what a retail consumer GoPro delivers). Problem is, these fancy imagers need to be kept relatively cool.

There are some really good CMOS and CCD imagers, not to mention newer better imagers of large area format from China:

http://leicarumors.com/2012/09/19/th...y-cmosis.aspx/
http://leicarumors.com/2010/11/07/ko...d-sensor.aspx/

http://www.e2v-us.com/products-and-s...d/?e2vredirect

http://www.e2v-us.com/e2v/assets/Fil...84-bi-nimo.pdf

Why wouldn’t they send their very best CCD imagers and camera optics to the moon?

Why are their cameras malfunctioning, or are they simply dysfunctional due to the heat?

Why are their gamma spectrometry instruments still not working? (is it too hot by day?)

What sort of special lens optics and narrow bandpass filters do each of their cameras have to work with?

Why are those local X-ray and gamma radiation readings not being recorded and shared with the world?

“ESTIMATION OF THE SURFACE TEMPERATURE OF FLAT AREAS ON THE MOON”
“A 1322.5 w/m2 change of the ESI would lead to 179.4K change in surface daytime temperature”

Perhaps imaging and other science via cool(179 K) planetshine or ESI should more than do the trick by offering up to 3.9 w/m2 illuminating upon the surface, offering plenty of working illumination inspite of their physically dark as coal surface. Combining of pixels offers the same benefit as having larger area pixels, such as with four times the low-light sensitivity and only a fourth the resolution is still offering an impressive 4.19 million pixel CCD image and still using large format optics doesn’t leave all that much to be desired, not to mention what a little bit of artificial illumination and especially of what the UV spectrum has to offer for the detection of all those secondary/recoil photons within our human visual spectrum.

Old December 19th 13, 05:50 AM posted to sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:18:00 AM UTC-8, Jan Panteltje wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you just don't get it, but then eye-candy, artistic renderings and media hype is all that matters to those of your kind, with apparently no actual scientific substance whatsoever.

I'd much rather see their raw images and science data for myself, and learn how they actively cool their imagers plus other circuitry from the inside out.

Here's a revised context of what we still need to learn a lot more about accomplishing surface missions on our moon.

Fly-by-rocket hovering and perfectly robotic controlled downrange soft-landings seem to have been 100% resolved.

Old December 19th 13, 10:23 AM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 18 Dec 2013 20:50:38 -0800 (PST)) it happened Brad Guth
wrote in
:

[...]

Well, you just confirmed you are an complete idiot.

*I* am the one who designed video cameras.
YOU are the one without a clue.
Bye