New Apollo landing site photos

Old September 7th 11, 06:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default New Apollo landing site photos

On 9/6/2011 7:39 PM, Jorge R. Frank wrote:
There was a thermal and micrometiorite sheild -
http://jeffreyellis.org/tlmp/files/facts/lm_descent.gif. I think it was
also intended to prevent the Ascent Stage thrust from getting into all
the tanks etc on the Descent Stage - no BOOM. Propellant was vented, but
then there was the pressurising gas and any residual oxygen in storage.

I knew about the shield but thought it only covered the tanks, not the
descent engine compartment in the center. The cutaway drawing you linked
doesn't make that clear either. There aren't many pictures of the
descent stage from above, but this one shows an open hole

http://www.apollomissionphotos.com/apollo12/108ksc69p220.jpg

There's a drawing of the hole in the descent module he
http://www.space1.com/Spacecraft_Dat...t_cutaway.html

Pat

Old September 7th 11, 06:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Matt Wiser

On Sep 7, 9:42*am, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 9/6/2011 5:02 PM, Dr.Colon Oscopy wrote:

Dating myself here but the press used to be filled with updates
cutaways schematics and mid-course correction status of the Orbiters
Rangers and Surveyors on their 3 day journey to the earths moon! Now a
launch and their there. *Great imagery the single forays across the
surface *(like to Cone Crater) are actually visible, and you can make
out the triangle shape of Surveyors landing pad geometry. *Given time
you'll see color and the glint of gold mylar *I'm sure........Doc

LRO also got some great shots of the central impact debris mountain in
Tycho crater, showing a large boulder sitting atop it; but no black
monolith yet:http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LR...lro-tycho.html
Now, that really would have been some place to land a LM at; the view
from up there would have been something to see.
It would be fun to know where the boulder came from.

Pat

I remember reading somewhere about a proposed Tycho landing for one of
the later Apollos, and Jim McDivitt, who looked at landing sites from
a safety perspective, said "You guys are going to Tycho over my dead
body." This was supposedly Apollo 19 or 20 (cancelled anyway).
Old September 7th 11, 06:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 9/7/2011 2:08 AM, GordonD wrote:

That one really shows how accurate Pete's landing was.

They mentioned they had the Surveyor in sight as they were getting ready
to land.
In fact they probably didn't want to land much closer to it than they
did for fear the exhaust of their descent engine would damage it or
topple it over*.
The way it was, the exhaust threw up particles of lunar soil that hit
the Surveyor while going at high velocity, due to the lack of an
atmosphere to slow them down, and "sandblasted" the side of it facing
the LM.
That's something they will have to look into if they ever build a Moon
base. Bad enough on lunar vehicles parked at it, but hit a space-suited
astronaut with it, and at the very least they are going to need a new
helmet visor, because it would look like you took sandpaper to it.

* It landed at a pretty severe angle the way it was:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_the_Moon.jpg
I was going to link to a NASA PDF about Surveyor-3 and Apollo-12, but
it of course just crashed Firefox.
How do you expect us to make it back to the Moon if we can't even send a
PDF between two buildings?

Pat
Old September 7th 11, 08:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
GordonD

"Val Kraut" wrote in message

Now, that really would have been some place to land a LM at; the view
from up there would have been something to see.

I've always thought that one of the public relations failures of Apollo
was they never went any place interesting enough to compete with the
Bonstell paintings that many of us were familiar with.

Trouble was, Bonestell (like everybody else) assumed that because there was
no weather on the Moon, it would have high, sharp mountain peaks. That
turned out not to be the case.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

Old September 7th 11, 09:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Anthony Frost

In message tatelephone
Pat Flannery wrote:

On 9/6/2011 5:02 PM, Dr.Colon Oscopy wrote:

Dating myself here but the press used to be filled with updates
cutaways schematics and mid-course correction status of the Orbiters
Rangers and Surveyors on their 3 day journey to the earths moon! Now a
launch and their there. Great imagery the single forays across the
surface (like to Cone Crater) are actually visible, and you can make
out the triangle shape of Surveyors landing pad geometry. Given time
you'll see color and the glint of gold mylar I'm sure........Doc

LRO also got some great shots of the central impact debris mountain in
Tycho crater, showing a large boulder sitting atop it; but no black
monolith yet: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LR...lro-tycho.html

Well duh. TMA-1 is buried *under* the crater, you have to work out where
from the magnetic anomaly map. It's the big shiny crystal thingy from
The Sentinel that's sitting on top of a mountain...

Anthony

Old September 7th 11, 10:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Scott M. Kozel[_2_]

Pat Flannery wrote:

Some new LRO photos, showing landing sites, LM descent stages, and ALSEP
equipment:http://www.onorbit.com/node/3780
You can even see Surveyor-3.

So how are the moon landing conspiracy buffs going to try to refue
this ... claim that the photos were photoshopped?

Old September 7th 11, 10:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Val Kraut

Trouble was, Bonestell (like everybody else) assumed that because there
was
no weather on the Moon, it would have high, sharp mountain peaks. That
turned out not to be the case.

He also assumed more interesting areas for the landings while Apollo
selected flatter, safer sites. The high f/No of the camera to compensate for
the bright surface also ment that the stars were not visible on the film.
Maybe someone should have thought of shooting the ground and sky
independently and splicing them in the printing.

I think the opposite is true for Mars where I remember rolling deserts and
nothing as interesting as we now know.

Val Kraut

Old September 7th 11, 10:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Doug Freyburger

Pat Flannery wrote:
Doug Freyburger wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

* It landed at a pretty severe angle the way it was:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_the_Moon.jpg

That's cool enough I have stored it and set it as the background on my
laptop.

It almost looks like one of the three landing legs partially collapsed
on touchdown; in another photo the angle doesn't look that seve
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary...19990709_c.jpg

One of the reasons I like the first one so much is I started my career
at JPL doing unmanned space. Fortran programming for IRAS downlink
processing. It's a bit symbolic for me to not have an astronaut in the
image. I'd love a picture from the time the shuttle rendevoused with
IRAS to repair it. Except for that bit that no shuttle mission ever did
do that so there are no such photos. Sigh. Maybe an image of Huble as
seen from the shuttle and I would switch to that.
Old September 8th 11, 01:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Sylvia Else[_2_]

On 8/09/2011 7:51 AM, Scott M. Kozel wrote:
Pat wrote:

Some new LRO photos, showing landing sites, LM descent stages, and ALSEP
equipment:http://www.onorbit.com/node/3780
You can even see Surveyor-3.

So how are the moon landing conspiracy buffs going to try to refue
this ... claim that the photos were photoshopped?

They'll claim that there was a secret recent manned mission to create
the footprints. The mission was necessary to continue the cover up of
the earlier mission fabrication, and had to be secret for that reason.

Sylvia.
Old September 8th 11, 01:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 9/7/2011 7:22 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

* It landed at a pretty severe angle the way it was:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_the_Moon.jpg

That's cool enough I have stored it and set it as the background on my
laptop.

It almost looks like one of the three landing legs partially collapsed
on touchdown; in another photo the angle doesn't look that seve
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary...19990709_c.jpg
The mechanical arm on the Surveyor still makes me laugh because of its
cartoonish look:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Surveyor3scooping.jpg

Pat