$50 for 4.5 Newtonian?

Old September 3rd 09, 06:45 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ken S. Tucker

Default $50 for 4.5 Newtonian?

Neighbour needed $50, so he drops off his 4.5" (114mm)
reflector, Al alti-azimuth tripod (yes that sux) , 2 eyepieces,
24 & 9 mm, in good shape.
Tonight wife & I tested on Moon & Jupiter, it's good quality,
(apart from summer scintillation), is $50 a fair price if I keep
the scope?
Thanks
Ken
Old September 3rd 09, 11:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Sep 3, 1:45 am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
Neighbour needed $50, so he drops off his 4.5" (114mm)
reflector, Al alti-azimuth tripod (yes that sux) , 2 eyepieces,
24 & 9 mm, in good shape.
Tonight wife & I tested on Moon & Jupiter, it's good quality,
(apart from summer scintillation), is $50 a fair price if I keep
the scope?

$50 sounds fair enough, certainly a good view of lunar features is
worth that. There isn't anything wrong with an alt-azimuth mount if
it's a Dobsonian design. :-)

What diameter are the focuser and eyepieces, 1.25-inch or 0.965-
inch ?

Old September 3rd 09, 07:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ken S. Tucker

wrote:
On Sep 3, 1:45 am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
Neighbour needed $50, so he drops off his 4.5" (114mm)
reflector, Al alti-azimuth tripod (yes that sux) , 2 eyepieces,
26 & 9 mm, in good shape.
Tonight wife & I tested on Moon & Jupiter, it's good quality,
(apart from summer scintillation), is $50 a fair price if I keep
the scope?

$50 sounds fair enough, certainly a good view of lunar features is
worth that.

I compared the 4.5" (900mm Orbitor 6500) with a 60mm
refractor, and noted a resolution improvement on Jupiters
moons. Three were very close but resolveable (I think), same
with the lunar views.

There isn't anything wrong with an alt-azimuth mount if
it's a Dobsonian design. :-)

Well ok. We're looking into building a new mounting.

What diameter are the focuser and eyepieces, 1.25-inch or 0.965-
inch ?

1.25 inch,
Meade Series 4000 DS Super Plossl 26 mm,
" " 9.7
mm.
Both worked well.
Ken
Old September 3rd 09, 07:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
MikeToms

It's a no brainer in your case, why do you even ask? It would be a great
starter scope for kids or anyone that knows little or nothing about
astronomy.

Old September 4th 09, 04:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin R. Howell[_8_]

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 22:45:48 -0700 (PDT), Ken S. Tucker wrote:

Neighbour needed $50, so he drops off his 4.5" (114mm)
reflector, Al alti-azimuth tripod (yes that sux) , 2 eyepieces,
24 & 9 mm, in good shape.
Tonight wife & I tested on Moon & Jupiter, it's good quality,
(apart from summer scintillation), is $50 a fair price if I keep
the scope?
Thanks
Ken

Sounds to me like a wonderful acquisition. I own a 4.5 inch scope as you
describe and enjoy its portability. And I would say this, the mount you
have is just fine. Mine has an equitorial mount which is never utilized
for its features. Additionally, the two eyepieces you have mentioned are
just right. The 24mm gives you a fine and fairly large field of view while
the 9mm is just about as far as you want to push the power of the scope.
On both my 12.5 inch dobsonian and my 4.5 inch newtonian, the 9mm EP gets
by far the most use of the many eyepieces in my arsenal.

P.S. Your scope and dark, clear skies will provide some fine views of
many, many deep sky objects.

--
Martin R. Howell
The Astro Post

Old September 4th 09, 02:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ken S. Tucker

Thanks guys.
Martin you sound quite experienced.

Martin R. Howell wrote:
On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 22:45:48 -0700 (PDT), Ken S. Tucker wrote:

Neighbour needed $50, so he drops off his 4.5" (114mm)
reflector, Al alti-azimuth tripod (yes that sux) , 2 eyepieces,
24 & 9 mm, in good shape.
Tonight wife & I tested on Moon & Jupiter, it's good quality,
(apart from summer scintillation), is $50 a fair price if I keep
the scope?
Thanks
Ken

Sounds to me like a wonderful acquisition. I own a 4.5 inch scope as you
describe and enjoy its portability. And I would say this, the mount you
have is just fine. Mine has an equitorial mount which is never utilized
for its features.

Are you implying an alti-azimuth mount is pretty much as
good as an equatorial mount?
((I'm considering building a new mount for a 60mm, but
find an equatorial is more difficult)).

Additionally, the two eyepieces you have mentioned are
just right. The 24mm gives you a fine and fairly large field of view while
the 9mm is just about as far as you want to push the power of the scope.
On both my 12.5 inch dobsonian and my 4.5 inch newtonian, the 9mm EP gets
by far the most use of the many eyepieces in my arsenal.

I turned the 4.5" with 24mm and view field was about 1/2 to 2/3
of Pleides sp, nice stuff.

P.S. Your scope and dark, clear skies will provide some fine views of
many, many deep sky objects.

Martin R. Howell

Regards
Ken

Old September 4th 09, 11:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin R. Howell[_8_]

Martin R. Howell wrote:
[...]

Nah, not at all. I am just a right tool for the right job kinda fellow and
for me, my little 4.5 inch scope is a grab and go type of thing. . .which
equals put the scope outside and look at obvious stuff and then star hop if
necessary to fainter objects. And, since I am used to the manual tracking
of my dobsonian, this technique works as well with the mount on the 4.5
inch. I have had two 8 inch newts mounted on equatorials but found the
mount to be more troublesome and "work" than they were worth.

Regards,

Martin

Old September 5th 09, 04:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ken S. Tucker

Martin R. Howell wrote:
[...]

Yeah, reviewing our observing, about 80% is rich-field,
20% high power (~100x or more) if atmosphere and target
warrant the effort.
I usually leave the 60mm set-up outside, so I'll put it on a pedestal,
(Alti-azimuth), and concentrate on vibration damping.
Regards
Ken

Non Newtonian Propulsion asps Policy 12 October 26th 05 03:27 AM
8" Newtonian choice [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 15 August 14th 05 10:26 AM
14" newtonian mirror Watclod Amateur Astronomy 12 April 25th 05 03:23 PM
f/5 or f/8 newtonian? Patrick Amateur Astronomy 52 October 6th 03 12:46 AM
astrophotography in f/8 newtonian Patrick Amateur Astronomy 4 October 4th 03 12:29 AM