ISS-Shuttle visibility?

Old March 26th 08, 09:01 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Flyguy

Default ISS-Shuttle visibility?

Earth orbiting satellites like the ISS and Shuttle are normally seen in
reflected sunlight above the earth's terminator (shadow) while it's
night on the ground. However I was watching the NASA channel the other
day and I realized how much artificial lighting is now used on the
outside of those two spacecraft when they are not in sunlight. This is
mainly to improve the visibility for the crew, particularly during a
spacewalk. This got me to wondering if anyone has ever seen the ISS or
Shuttle pass over at night when they were *not* in sunlight? IOW- Is the
artificial lighting on the outside of either spacecraft bright enough to
be seen from the ground?

Regards
Old March 26th 08, 04:34 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
DougD

In article zpnGj.664$sR1.636@trndny08, Flyguy wrote:
Earth orbiting satellites like the ISS and Shuttle are normally seen in
reflected sunlight above the earth's terminator (shadow) while it's
night on the ground. However I was watching the NASA channel the other
day and I realized how much artificial lighting is now used on the
outside of those two spacecraft when they are not in sunlight. This is
mainly to improve the visibility for the crew, particularly during a
spacewalk. This got me to wondering if anyone has ever seen the ISS or
Shuttle pass over at night when they were *not* in sunlight? IOW- Is the
artificial lighting on the outside of either spacecraft bright enough to
be seen from the ground?

Well, I'm not sure what I've seen, but I did observe something unusual
in regards to the light coming from these two in orbit. This was not
the latest shuttle flight that I'm referring to, the one prior. I normally
watch them every evening flyover as weather allows, and their
appearance has always been consistant. However, on one evening,
I witnessed a very bright flash of light coming from the ISS/shuttle.
It was almost as if it was flaring like an Iridium, and it could have
very well been a reflection from perhaps an antenna that was being
deployed, etc. What I saw was maybe 5-6 fairly fast, and very bright
pulses of bluish-white light, and then the normal two objects continue
on. The flashes came at about the first 1/3 of the pass. So, I don't
know if this was artificial, or a reflection, but it was impressive!!

d.

Old March 30th 08, 03:53 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
[email protected]

On Mar 26, 4:01 am, Flyguy wrote:
Earth orbiting satellites like the ISS and Shuttle are normally seen in
reflected sunlight above the earth's terminator (shadow) while it's
night on the ground. However I was watching the NASA channel the other
day and I realized how much artificial lighting is now used on the
outside of those two spacecraft when they are not in sunlight. This is
mainly to improve the visibility for the crew, particularly during a
spacewalk. This got me to wondering if anyone has ever seen the ISS or
Shuttle pass over at night when they were *not* in sunlight? IOW- Is the
artificial lighting on the outside of either spacecraft bright enough to
be seen from the ground?

There have been quite a few observations of shuttles while they were
completely within Earth's shadow. Here are some examples reported via
SeeSat-L:

http://satobs.org/seesat/Jan-1996/0077.html

http://satobs.org/seesat/Jan-1996/0219.html

http://satobs.org/seesat/Oct-2000/0146.html

http://satobs.org/seesat/Oct-2000/0180.html

http://satobs.org/seesat/Dec-2000/0050.html

http://satobs.org/seesat/Dec-2002/0000.html

Ted Molczan

Comet visibility... G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 6 May 18th 06 09:54 PM
Comet visibility... G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 0 May 12th 06 10:12 PM
Comet visibility... G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 0 May 11th 06 02:34 PM
Comet visibility... The Mirror Misc 46 May 9th 06 08:43 PM
Visibility of milkyway center. peter Astronomy Misc 6 June 21st 05 10:59 PM