Tchouri - Philae

Old May 31st 15, 02:06 PM posted to sci.space.science
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Default Tchouri - Philae

When contact was lost with the Philae lander in November some were
hoping that contact a new contact could be made when it would get closer
to the Sun. That doesn't seem to have happened. Does anyone know if all
hope is lost or what? When can we definitely write off Philae?

Alain Fournier

Old May 31st 15, 11:35 PM posted to sci.space.science
David Spain

On 5/31/2015 9:06 AM, Alain Fournier wrote:

When contact was lost with the Philae lander in November some were
hoping that contact a new contact could be made when it would get closer
to the Sun. That doesn't seem to have happened. Does anyone know if all
hope is lost or what? When can we definitely write off Philae?

Alain Fournier

I'm not a betting man, but I'd say the odds are in favor of a write-off
at this point.

Dave

Old June 1st 15, 11:36 AM posted to sci.space.science
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"David Spain" wrote in message ...

On 5/31/2015 9:06 AM, Alain Fournier wrote:

When contact was lost with the Philae lander in November some were
hoping that contact a new contact could be made when it would get closer
to the Sun. That doesn't seem to have happened. Does anyone know if all
hope is lost or what? When can we definitely write off Philae?

Alain Fournier

I'm not a betting man, but I'd say the odds are in favor of a write-off at
this point.

Dave

Unfortunately, I have to agree. It was a great attempt that got hit by a
really random bit of bad luck.

Old June 14th 15, 02:01 PM posted to sci.space.science
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On 6/1/15 6:36 AM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote :
"David Spain" wrote in message ...

On 5/31/2015 9:06 AM, Alain Fournier wrote:

When contact was lost with the Philae lander in November some were
hoping that contact a new contact could be made when it would get closer
to the Sun. That doesn't seem to have happened. Does anyone know if all
hope is lost or what? When can we definitely write off Philae?

Alain Fournier

I'm not a betting man, but I'd say the odds are in favor of a
write-off at this point.

Dave

Unfortunately, I have to agree. It was a great attempt that got hit by
a really random bit of bad luck.

Good news this morning. I agreed with you both but was still hoping.

Alain Fournier

Old June 16th 15, 01:46 AM posted to sci.space.science
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

In article , says...

On 6/1/15 6:36 AM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote :
"David Spain" wrote in message ...

On 5/31/2015 9:06 AM, Alain Fournier wrote:

When contact was lost with the Philae lander in November some were
hoping that contact a new contact could be made when it would get
closer
to the Sun. That doesn't seem to have happened. Does anyone know if
all
hope is lost or what? When can we definitely write off Philae?

Alain Fournier

I'm not a betting man, but I'd say the odds are in favor of a
write-off at this point.

Dave

Unfortunately, I have to agree. It was a great attempt that got hit by
a really random bit of bad luck.

Good news this morning. I agreed with you both but was still hoping.

The Philae lander does appear to be powered up again (just saw a Tweet
about it this morning). Hopefully they'll get some additional science
out of it! :-)

Yeah, this really is awesome.

Heck, even getting it powered up probably provides some science (they can
figure out at the very least the minimum amount of power it's getting for
example).

Anything else is really bonus at this point.

BTW, anyone know if the engines are restartable? Could they attempt to move
it if they wanted to?

Jeff

--
Greg D. Moore