What does Russia do with Soyuz that returns to Kazakhstan

Old October 11th 05, 10:58 PM
autonut843

Default What does Russia do with Soyuz that returns to Kazakhstan

Hi, Today I read about Gregory Olsen and the other astronauts landing
in Kazakhstan and I thought to mysel, "what does the Russian space
agency do with them once they land?" Do they load them on a truck and
cart them back to mission control? Do they remove any critical
equipment and then leave it there for nomadic tribesement to find and
look at? Do they remvoe any critical equipment and then blow it up? I
figure it's probably a ways from the nearest big city so I was just
wondering.
Thanks!

Old October 12th 05, 02:15 AM
Pat Flannery

autonut843 wrote:

Hi, Today I read about Gregory Olsen and the other astronauts landing
in Kazakhstan and I thought to mysel, "what does the Russian space
agency do with them once they land?" Do they load them on a truck and
cart them back to mission control? Do they remove any critical
equipment and then leave it there for nomadic tribesement to find and
look at?

Cut to image of nomadic tribesmen staring at a cosmonaut' testicles
lying on the ground...

Do they remvoe any critical equipment and then blow it up?

Suddenly, the testicles explode... :-)

Pat
Old October 12th 05, 03:20 AM
Skylon

autonut843 wrote:
Do they remove any critical
equipment and then leave it there for nomadic tribesement to find and
look at?

I don't know why this creates an image in my head of a Soyuz landing on
the planet of the apes....

-A.L.

Old October 12th 05, 06:34 AM

Skylon wrote:
autonut843 wrote:
Do they remove any critical
equipment and then leave it there for nomadic tribesement to find and
look at?

I don't know why this creates an image in my head of a Soyuz landing on
the planet of the apes....

-A.L.

Quite a number seemed to be recovered and end up in museums, I remember
seeing
a flown example at the Warsaw Military museum last year.

Tim

Old October 13th 05, 01:50 AM
autonut843

Thanks.

How big was it. Could you just roll it onto a truck or would you need
a crane?

You mentioned "Quite a number..." which is my point exactly. They've
shot quite a few of them up there. I would think that after a while
they'd be saying, "Nyet, we have enough of these used Soyuz modules
laying around here, just leave them where they land."

Thanks again for the replies, very appreciated.

Old October 13th 05, 02:19 AM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-10-13, autonut843 wrote:
Thanks.

How big was it. Could you just roll it onto a truck or would you need
a crane?

You mentioned "Quite a number..." which is my point exactly. They've
shot quite a few of them up there. I would think that after a while
they'd be saying, "Nyet, we have enough of these used Soyuz modules
laying around here, just leave them where they land."

Well, Soyuz are modified on a fairly regular basis - this is only, what,
the sixth TMA version? And it's already had one major anomaly - so some
post-flight research would likely be desirable on most of them.

In addition, you're going to want to gut it for recylable equipment, and
tearing it down is likely to be a lot easier (and cheaper) inside a
hangar somewhere than doing it exposed to the elements out on the
steppes - this way you only have one trip, to cart it back, rather than
having to take all your engineers out and then bring them back, possibly
several times.

Plus, you'll need to salvage any returned material, some of which may
not take kindly to being removed in those conditions.

--
-Andrew Gray

Old October 13th 05, 03:46 AM
Pat Flannery

autonut843 wrote:

You mentioned "Quite a number..." which is my point exactly. They've
shot quite a few of them up there. I would think that after a while
they'd be saying, "Nyet, we have enough of these used Soyuz modules
laying around here, just leave them where they land."

They can sell them for good cash- no fools, the Russians:
http://www.spaceref.ca/news/viewpr.html?pid=4596

Pat
Old October 13th 05, 03:53 AM
Pat Flannery

Andrew Gray wrote:

Well, Soyuz are modified on a fairly regular basis - this is only, what,
the sixth TMA version? And it's already had one major anomaly - so some
post-flight research would likely be desirable on most of them.

In addition, you're going to want to gut it for recylable equipment, and
tearing it down is likely to be a lot easier (and cheaper) inside a
hangar somewhere than doing it exposed to the elements out on the
steppes - this way you only have one trip, to cart it back, rather than
having to take all your engineers out and then bring them back, possibly
several times.

Plus, you'll need to salvage any returned material, some of which may
not take kindly to being removed in those conditions.

They've run into problems with the sale of the ISS ones though:
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...le_020506.html

Pat

Old October 14th 05, 03:13 AM
dmitrik

After stripping all the valuable stuff many of them are used for
teaching in space-related universities/institutes/academies where
students promptly vandalize them for souvenirs

Old October 14th 05, 03:17 AM
dmitrik

Also one of them was provided to Chinese under a technology transfer
deal.