Astro: Ngc 5068/5084

Old May 15th 17, 08:49 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Default Astro: Ngc 5068/5084

I rarely find time to process my images from Athos at La Palma but sometimes the improbable happens ;-)

NGC 5058 is a nice spiral in the southern part of Virgo. It's (virtual) neighbour NGC 5084 is the more spectacular one, I have never imaged such a strange edge on galaxy before. The "disk" is unusually broad and very faint, while the bulge is very bright.

NGC 5084 is about three times further away than NGC 5068 (22 to 69 million lighyears according to Guide9) and still looks bigger, so it must be very large. Between those two is galaxy cluster Abell 1709, which according to this site
http://www.andromedagalaxie.de/html/...en_shapley.htm
is at 695 million lighyears distance.

Unfortunately I lost most of the data from one of the two nights I had dedicated to this field because the autoguider lost the guidestar, most probably because of a cloud moving through.

Taken at Athos/La Palma with a Pentax 125 SDP (800mm focal length) and ASI 1600MM cool camera on an AZ-EQ6 mount, 21x5 min Lum, 11x5 min R, 10x5min G and 9x5min B. The picture shows the full fiel in full size, image scale is 0,98"/pixel.

As the image is too large for spacebanter.com I only post the link:
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp12/5068-5084colourgut.jpg

Stefan
Old May 18th 17, 07:44 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

That 5084 certainly is strange. Wonder what it looks like face on? I was going to calculate its size but ran into a problem. Seems no two sources agree as to its distance. Redshift puts it at 90 million light-years, NED's list of non-redshift measurements range from 45 to 378 million light-years. This interesting paper on it https://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/9704032.pdf uses 50.5 million light-years. Using your Guide estimate of 69 million I get a size of 196,000 light-years. That's huge. The paper above does say it is one of the most massive disk galaxies known. Too bad clouds ruined so much data.

Boy do I know clouds. So far this month I managed one 100 minute image. That's it. Worst year yet for imaging here.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slilge View Post
[...]

NGC 5068 A nearby spiral galaxy WA0CKY Astro Pictures 2 April 8th 17 05:16 AM
Daily Report #5084 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 April 28th 10 03:36 PM
[sci.astro,sci.astro.seti] Contents (Astronomy Frequently Asked Questions) (0/9) [email protected] SETI 0 August 15th 07 09:36 PM
[sci.astro,sci.astro.seti] Contents (Astronomy Frequently Asked Questions) (0/9) [email protected] SETI 0 May 3rd 06 12:33 PM
[sci.astro,sci.astro.seti] Contents (Astronomy Frequently Asked Questions) (0/9) [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 September 30th 04 02:23 AM