A Moon full of surprises

Old June 23rd 06, 10:02 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Default A Moon full of surprises

I was just packing up last night when I remembered that the Moon
should have been up in the north east, quite close to Venus. As I
walked around to the front of the house I saw this...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/NLC/2006-06-23.html

This is the brightest display of NLC's I've seen. Display lasted from
about 02:00 - 03:00 UT but could have been visible earlier - I can't
see the northern horizon from my observing site.

Following this, I did spot the Moon and took a picture of it just for
the hell of it. I didn't realise that it was so close to M45!

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/widefield/2006-06-23.html

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old June 23rd 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Well captured Pete. This is the second night I have missed seeing
them, the first for not watching early enough and then last night for
not staying up... well....all night!

Pierre MK-UK

Old June 24th 06, 01:37 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Nice shots Pete,

The bit that both confuses me and makes me jealous is - where do you keep
the switch to the local streetlights? I can't find mine...

Al

Old June 24th 06, 09:10 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:37:18 +1000, "Al" wrote:

I was just packing up last night when I remembered that the Moon
should have been up in the north east, quite close to Venus. As I
walked around to the front of the house I saw this...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/NLC/2006-06-23.html

This is the brightest display of NLC's I've seen. Display lasted from
about 02:00 - 03:00 UT but could have been visible earlier - I can't
see the northern horizon from my observing site.

Following this, I did spot the Moon and took a picture of it just for
the hell of it. I didn't realise that it was so close to M45!

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/widefield/2006-06-23.html

Nice shots Pete,

The bit that both confuses me and makes me jealous is - where do you keep
the switch to the local streetlights? I can't find mine...

Hi Al,

Our streetlights go off just after midnight. I was once observing in
my back garden which is completely shielded from the things. I was
looking for the Horsehead visually with my 10" Newt. Getting into the
nitty gritty and really looking hard at the field of view for many
minutes, I was surprised when the sky suddenly jumped down another
notch of clarity - it was very noticeable. Then I realised that it was
the streetlight to the front of the house (north) turning off -
something that's in completely the other direction and hidden from
direct line of sight. It was the scattered orange light being removed
from the view that made the difference. Did I see the HH? No,
unfortunately although the nebulosty was just on the tip of my
eyeballs.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old June 24th 06, 09:51 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message ...
Hi Al,

Our streetlights go off just after midnight. I was once observing in
my back garden which is completely shielded from the things. I was
looking for the Horsehead visually with my 10" Newt. Getting into the...

Hi Peter
What NELM can you get from your back garden after midnight then??
Cheers
Paul

Thanks for sharing the images.

Old June 24th 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:51:13 +0100, "Paul Clark"
wrote:

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message ...
Hi Al,

Our streetlights go off just after midnight. I was once observing in
my back garden which is completely shielded from the things. I was
looking for the Horsehead visually with my 10" Newt. Getting into the...

Hi Peter
What NELM can you get from your back garden after midnight then??
Cheers
Paul

Thanks for sharing the images.

Hi Paul,

Depends on conditions of course but mag +6 is pretty common with +6.5
occuring a few nights a year.

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old June 24th 06, 01:26 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

What NELM can you get from your back garden after midnight then??

Sorry, what's NELM ?

--
Boo
Old June 24th 06, 01:28 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

or even ZNELM

Zenithal naked eye limiting magnitude.

And in Pete's case in Selsey has has better conditions in the early hours
than many of us get after driving for an hour or so.

Grumble, grumble, green with envy...
"Boo" wrote in message
.. .
What NELM can you get from your back garden after midnight then??

Sorry, what's NELM ?

--
Boo

The Apollo Hoax FAQ CAPCOM Astronomy Misc 16 February 21st 06 01:07 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Misc 6 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Astronomy Misc 15 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The Apollo Moon Hoax FAQ v4.1 November 2003 Nathan Jones Misc 20 November 11th 03 07:33 PM